Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle Asym XL
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 30DSy
    Suspension
    'Biners/rings
    I have a Spot 2, and it works well for my purposes: tracking my progress on a website for my family to follow, and for the unthinkable. My hammocking is in support of multi-day motorcycle trips both on and off-road. No, it's not perfect, you will miss some tracking spots if the device can't clearly see the sky. Wear it on your upper chest or shoulder and no problems. As a motorcyclist, I don't want to mount it on my bike, in case I crash and depart the bike and am rendered immobile. If I can touch it I can call for help. If not, there'll be a cluster of tracking spots at my current position, a clear sign of where I am if I don't check in. I have the optional GEOS emergency evac policy, and carry my Spot when I travel overseas, just in case. It will track when placed next to an airline window, so hopefully I'll never be stuck with my best friend Wilson on an island.

I think the InReach is also a good device, but if you don't need two way messaging, the Spot will do. PLBs are great if you're conscious and can activate them, otherwise not so much.

I bought my device after reading of a missing motorcyclist who crashed his Goldwing in a turn on a well-traveled highway, but was out of sight of the road. He was immobilized but tried repeatedly to call for help on his iPhone, but no signal. Hunters spotted his crash site from across the Salmon River a month later, and investigators determined he lived at least 3 days. I started carrying it when i read of a rider who crashed on a forest road and laid there for almost 3 days, until he was found by a Navy SAR helicopter after he didn't report for duty for a couple of days, and a friend in the Indian Ocean recalled an earlier conversation about where he wanted to explore. The rider almost died, but survived with career-ending disabilities caused by the crash and lying immobile and losing circulation in his legs.

I can't recommend strongly enough for every remote traveler to buy one of these devices and utilizing the tracking feature along with giving friends and family access to the web page with your track on it, and establishing a check in protocol via a phone call or device message each evening.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Re the battery life on a PLB: I expect the batteries will last a lot longer than the replacement period (probably at least double). The manufacturers will have adopted a very conservative approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    Re the battery life on a PLB: I expect the batteries will last a lot longer than the replacement period (probably at least double). The manufacturers will have adopted a very conservative approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess I am too cynical. Here in the great U.S.A. Product reputations do not seem to matter any more.
    I have a built in computer, it was very expensive, promised 5 years battery life. The battery died in 18 months.

Thank you for your input, glad to hear from someone from Melbourne, a beautiful place.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
    I have a Spot 2, and it works well for my purposes: tracking my progress on a website for my family to follow, and for the unthinkable. My hammocking is in support of multi-day motorcycle trips both on and off-road. No, it's not perfect, you will miss some tracking spots if the device can't clearly see the sky. Wear it on your upper chest or shoulder and no problems. As a motorcyclist, I don't want to mount it on my bike, in case I crash and depart the bike and am rendered immobile. If I can touch it I can call for help. If not, there'll be a cluster of tracking spots at my current position, a clear sign of where I am if I don't check in. I have the optional GEOS emergency evac policy, and carry my Spot when I travel overseas, just in case. It will track when placed next to an airline window, so hopefully I'll never be stuck with my best friend Wilson on an island.

I think the InReach is also a good device, but if you don't need two way messaging, the Spot will do. PLBs are great if you're conscious and can activate them, otherwise not so much.

I bought my device after reading of a missing motorcyclist who crashed his Goldwing in a turn on a well-traveled highway, but was out of sight of the road. He was immobilized but tried repeatedly to call for help on his iPhone, but no signal. Hunters spotted his crash site from across the Salmon River a month later, and investigators determined he lived at least 3 days. I started carrying it when i read of a rider who crashed on a forest road and laid there for almost 3 days, until he was found by a Navy SAR helicopter after he didn't report for duty for a couple of days, and a friend in the Indian Ocean recalled an earlier conversation about where he wanted to explore. The rider almost died, but survived with career-ending disabilities caused by the crash and lying immobile and losing circulation in his legs.

I can't recommend strongly enough for every remote traveler to buy one of these devices and utilizing the tracking feature along with giving friends and family access to the web page with your track on it, and establishing a check in protocol via a phone call or device message each evening.
    I recall him, sad series of events up in Idaho, IIRC. Reason I got my spot, but think I will go with a PLB in the future. Good to remember why these devices are so important.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure what's in these, but I'm guessing something like 1 or 2 CR123 cells. If you go to the store and look at a package, the expiration will be something like 15 years from now. 15 years!! And I've read plenty of flashlight enthusiasts testing these after 25 years and they're still good.

So yes, they are conservative. I don't think they're looking for the income on replacements; they're just playing it safe like any good legal department would. And this isn't a flashlight or toy...it something that will save your life. The last thing they want to do is say "15 year battery" and have a bunch of negative product reviews come in when they die too soon.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I agree. I'm not sure what's in these, but I'm guessing something like 1 or 2 CR123 cells. If you go to the store and look at a package, the expiration will be something like 15 years from now. 15 years!! And I've read plenty of flashlight enthusiasts testing these after 25 years and they're still good.

So yes, they are conservative. I don't think they're looking for the income on replacements; they're just playing it safe like any good legal department would. And this isn't a flashlight or toy...it something that will save your life. The last thing they want to do is say "15 year battery" and have a bunch of negative product reviews come in when they die too soon.
    I am cynical, I have a battery in my implanted defibrillator, it died due to defective batteries, my life depends on my implanted defibrillator. Even the emergency external AED have problems with the battery life not as advertised. Recently, the former St. Jude had several of their devices recalled because of premature battery failure.

Anyway discussion of trusting corporations to be honest about their battery life expectency for critical items.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The good thing is that when these tracking type devices batteries start to fail you typically have a bit of forewarning. I'm impressed that my InReach will stay up for 5 or 6 days when not used with tracking.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I am cynical, I have a battery in my implanted defibrillator, it died due to defective batteries, my life depends on my implanted defibrillator. Even the emergency external AED have problems with the battery life not as advertised. Recently, the former St. Jude had several of their devices recalled because of premature battery failure.

Anyway discussion of trusting corporations to be honest about their battery life expectency for critical items.
    It can happen. A $40,000 BMW can catch on fire (like my Aunt's did for no reason). Life, unfortunately, is rolling dice. A $3 battery included.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post

May I suggest investing in a multimeter tester? It might save your life.. Call me paranoid, but fully trusting someone or something when life is at risk is certainly naive; test the product for defects..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123