Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    CG Fortress 2
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Woopie/Marlin spk
    Hello, I also use a CPAP, it is the Remstar M like yours at home and for travel I have the Transcend Mini-CPAP. Transend will run on batteries quite well, I think it would work on less AMPs/power than the REMStar M. Rhllngwrth Robert Hollingsworth

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by rhllngwrth View Post
    Hello, I also use a CPAP, it is the Remstar M like yours at home and for travel I have the Transcend Mini-CPAP. Transend will run on batteries quite well, I think it would work on less AMPs/power than the REMStar M. Rhllngwrth Robert Hollingsworth
    Appreciate that. Have a feeling my MSeries is gettin ready to bite it as I've been using it for 14 years. I'll need another one for camping and will put that on my list.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    It's Alive! It's Alive!

I have tried everything I could think of to sleep in the woods without my CPAP. Special pillows under the neck, nasal strips etc. All of them help but nothing really works. Not having a good solution kept me out of the woods for many years. Then I discovered this thread. I read every post carefully and considered my options.

With much gratitude to the VA I have a very nice Phillips Dreamstation. My old M Series I thought had bit the dust. I found out that a very common problem with the M Series is the humidifier has a known defect and will cause the entire CPAP to malfunction. I removed the humidifier section and purchased a M Series Air Outlet Port. It's a small plastic piece that allows a hose to connect without the humidifier ($13.00) now it works like a champ.

I took advantage of BigE94's battery research and bought a TallentCell 12V11000mAh battery. I charged it up, made all the connections and tested it in the house last night. I got a great nights sleep and used only 1/4 of the battery. This is of course under ideal conditions in 75°. Still with my pressure setting of 12 and only using 1/4 battery I should get at least a good 2 nights from this battery. No need to buy a solar charger for me.

I'm going to test again tonight and subsequent nights until I drain the thing. Then I'm looking at low 60° nights on Thursday, Friday and Saturday this week. Time for some porch camping to see how this thing performs in real conditions. I'll post my results.

Images
    SteelPlayer
    Please post your results good or bad. List how many hours you got out of one charge and what your pressure settings were. This will help others gauge how long this system will last for them.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Thanks for the write up SteelPlayer. So glad that worked for you. Please keep us updated. Hope all goes well on the porch!
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    SteelPlayer
    Please post your results good or bad. List how many hours you got out of one charge and what your pressure settings were. This will help others gauge how long this system will last for them.
    I am still testing. I just realized I did not have the battery fully charged on the first test. I was able to get 7hrs on the 1st night and about 6 Hrs on the 2nd night. My second test yielded about the same results. Full charge used approximately 1/4 battery at about 7 Hrs. I'm testing tonight at an expected temp of 60°. My M Series is fixed at 12. I'll post final results tomorrow.

On another note how do you guys hang your battery and CPAP. I have not found a good way to hang my battery and CPAP either from the hammock or the ridgeline. Either way it's just too heavy and changes the hang of the hammock. I'm going to look into some sort of "Side Car" or additional ridgeline to hang directly inside/outside the hammock. I will probably also look to split the battery from the CPAP so all the weight is not in the same place.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    OK. Final test last night.

1. Battery Tallentcell 12V/11000mAh https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Re.../dp/B016BJCRUO

2. M Series CPAP with a fixed pressure of 12 cmH2O. No ramp up, no auto pressure.

3. Swift LT Nasal Pillow mask

Battery was fully charged. I found out that the battery is not fully charged when the last of the 4 lights is lite. The charger LED has to turn green before a full charge is achieved.

1st night -

Temperature ranged from 68° to a low of 64° at about 5am. Run time on the battery was slightly less than 7 Hrs.

2nd night -

Temperature range was from 66° to a low of 58° at 5am. Run time on the battery was exactly 6 Hrs 48 Minutes.

There was a residual battery charge of 1 out of 4 LED's. Not enough for another night but I would estimate from previous usage maybe 2 hours or less.
    That's about as scientific as I'm going to get. I can get at least 2 good nights sleep out of this battery and CPAP at my standard pressure. With the slight charge remaining I'm going to have enough to account for variables such as temperature.

Now I just need to find a way to hang it in my hammock or come up with a ground stand solution.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    SP are you using an adapter or anything to connect to the 12v output on the Tallentcell, or just connecting directly with the cord from your CPAP machine. i.e do the plugs match up?

So I have been working on a setup for the last few weeks. I finally sewed a DIY double ended stuff sack that is big enough to hold my Philips Respironics System One (sans humidifier). I made it with some grosgrain loops and it works well with mitten hooks/prusik knots. It balances nicely and doesn't pull the ridgeline down at all. Now, the battery is another story. You may recall I use a 12V-22AH AGM battery that weighs something like 13lbs. I had planned on putting it on the ground beneath the hammock and letting the wire come up, but when I started looking at the setup, the 12V wire I have (with cigarette lighter adapter) is only about 3-feet long. I have a ~1.5 foot lead on the battery, but I don't think it is enough to comfortably reach the ridgeline bag. So I am back to having it hang from the hammock suspension. I will see if one of my cheap walmart dry bags is big enough/strong enough to hold the battery. If not, I may have to DIY another bag to hold the battery. I may also start looking at a lighter battery that would work for 2-nights (although, I really need 4+ for many scout camping activities).

EDIT: Has anyone tried using the WPS Featherweight Lithium batteries that are promoted for motorcycles? They are ~1-2lbs and 110-200 CCA. It is hard to tell how these would work in a deep cycle setup like for a CPAP. They don't rate them with Amp Hours.
    Last edited by billbillw; 08-27-2018 at 10:45.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    SP are you using an adapter or anything to connect to the 12v output on the Tallentcell, or just connecting directly with the cord from your CPAP machine. i.e do the plugs match up?
    On my M Series I am using the 12V adapter plug that came with the battery the plug matches . Works so far without issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast