Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Images
    Was thinking I could set up a group buy, but it may be out of my league.

Supplier said this -
    "Price is $0.65 dollar per meter with FedEx shipping to U.K.
    Minimum order quantity 1,000 meters required to set up production."

Unless any big players want to get on board, I think that puts the kybosh on it.
    Unless we could commit to a 1000 metre production run between us, a kind of transatlantic group-buy. I reckon I could commit to 200 - 300m here in the UK. If there were a US vendor that would take the remainder.

--
    Gadget

Images
    Initial tests.
    Short on buckles ATM. Only have Adutchable Buckles here, threaded on very easily, was a bit worried it might slip, but found a way to add an extra turn to make it super secure (didn't hang from them tho').
    Loop Aliens
    These are my go-to suspension, got them on all the CLs on my various hammocks. Both types threaded easily enough and held with three turns around the back,

Becket Hitch
    Hitched onto a 7/64" (2.5mm) Amsteel CL
    The plain weave held fine,

but the twill weave slipped consistently when I sat down, slipped slowly through, creating fair heat by friction. A double Becket hitch fixed it.

MSH and Toggle
    Both types held fine with the MSH (onto Hammock CL),

forgive the rather agricultural toggles, it's not a system I use generally.

Disclaimer
    All the tests were only done for a few minutes of hanging, and in dry conditions.
    Hoping to get some real world testing done tomorrow night, in the woods, with some willing victim/volunteers from the fire station.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

.5mm dynnema webbing.

Is this lighter than Dutch's 2.2 Kevlar? And is it stronger?
    Maybe lighter than 2.2 Kevlar and about as strong--similar in weight and strength.
    Lighter than 3.3 Kevlar and not near as strong as 3.3 Kevlar rated at 2000 pounds.
    I'm staying with my 3.3 Kevlar since it's already light and it is rated to hold more weight--2000 pounds.
    This will be a good try for someone who is shaving the grams on his total pack weight--provided its durable.
    .5mm dyneema webbing looks to have a good strength to weight ratio. And it is within a reasonable safety margin. For me, durability, ease of use and does it hold knots real good and especially do those knots NOT jam. Now that's for me--Those that use buckles may be disappointed. My guess is Dutch has tried this or something like this and it did not test well. And I'm guessing again that's why Dutch went with strap that is part poly and part dyneema--so it would work with Bling.
    I think it's great--we have so many good products to choose for our rigs
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-19-2017 at 22:31.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'm using 3.3 Kevlar now, one 6' set and one 8' set. I can't see the Dyneema webbing bringing an improvement on the Kevlar straps. "If it ain't broke..." and all that... I am sticking with the Kevlar. The only shortcoming of the Kevlar is untying the BH but it really isn't that bad...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I'm using 3.3 Kevlar now, one 6' set and one 8' set. I can't see the Dyneema webbing bringing an improvement on the Kevlar straps. "If it ain't broke..." and all that... I am sticking with the Kevlar. The only shortcoming of the Kevlar is untying the BH but it really isn't that bad...
    I had one of my kevlar straps start fraying in the loop so I decided to replace them. The good thing about the Dyneema straps is that they are a smidge lighter than the 2.2 kevlar and the same price as the 3.3. Just got my Dyneema straps in today and plan on doing some testing next weekend, or maybe even this week if I can set up my hammock in the shop.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Anyone used them with cinch buckles and can report how well it works. Not Myers claims. Your own.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    The good thing about the Dyneema straps is that they are a smidge lighter than the 2.2 kevlar and the same price as the 3.3.
    Dutchware 3.3g/ft, $1 per foot
    Chinese 2.05g/ft, $0.20 per ft ($0.65/m)
    Even with shipping and taxes, Jeff is putting a healthy markup on his stuff.

But even 65˘ per metre is twice as expensive as the polyester straps I buy for ŁUK 0.35 per metre.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Dutchware 3.3g/ft, $1 per foot
    Chinese 2.05g/ft, $0.20 per ft ($0.65/m)
    Even with shipping and taxes, Jeff is putting a healthy markup on his stuff.

But even 65˘ per metre is twice as expensive as the polyester straps I buy for ŁUK 0.35 per metre.

--
    Gadget
    GadgetUK437, is this rated as strong as 2.2 kevlar ? (Pounds from across the pond)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    The manufacturer said that both the plain 2.45g/ft and the 2.05g/ft have a break strength of at least 600kg (1323lb). I have made up some test pieces, I will get the strain gauge on them, next time I have some free time at work.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I've been hanging on this webbing at one end all week. I'm about 150lbs. I've used the becket hitch, jbend, cinch bugs and ti cinch buckles. Last night my wife and I both hung with it outdoors at the foot ends using a slippery becket hitch. This morning she was able to pull them out without any problem

All worked great except the ti cinch buckles. I found it too difficult to keep the webbing straight and didn't trust it at all, so I never even got in the hammock with it. I imagine the standard ss cinch buckles would behave exactly the same way.

I bought this mainly for it's potential to work with buckles. Our intended use is for double hanging with a spreader bar, buckles at the head end being our favorite choice. So far I've preferred the ti cinch buckle because the cl with dwh remains attached, where on the cinch bug it does not and therefore another loose piece to keep track of, so I'm a bit disappointed in this discovery. I'm expecting this webbing will work well with the new cinch bug-like beetle buckle - fingers crossed.

I found that after it's been fully weighted, this webbing is no more than 15/16 wide anywhere along it's length. In all fairness, this is by tape measure.

Oddly, I only bought enough to make 3 - 6ft straps. I need a 4th. Ugh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast