Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

want to jump into hammock camping

Wanted to ask if I'm crazy to want to jump into hammock camping because I'm really truly a stomach sleeper. I tend to gasp for air when I sleep on my back..I can maybe sleep on my side but more towards my stomach..i need advice before I start spend all my money on expensive gear..thx so much in advance

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    So look into an amok. I'm a stomach sleeper it's why I picked it

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Or a bridge hammock like the ridge runner by warbonnet. I'm a side sleeper in bed and can't sleep on my back or stomach but in a hammock I'm fully a back sleeper. So you may be able sleep on your back in a hammock.

Do you know someone with a gathered end hammock you can borrow to try out?
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    The two hammocks that might offer stomach sleeping are the Amok that Tikker mentioned and possibly the bridge hammock lines like the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and the Bear Mountain JackRBetter bridge. If you have access to a group hang you could ask if anyone is bringing either of these to test. I'm a stomach sleeper but find myself sleeping on my side in my Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've tried a bridge, but not the Amok. That said, the Amok still doesn't look like a stomach sleeper to me and there are several other reasons why its not a good fit for me. Keep in mind that how you sleep on a mattress is going to be different than in a hammock. If you simply can't be on your back, I think its a better option to consider being on your side, not your stomach as you might prefer on a mattress. For me, the gathered end type hammock is much more comfy for me on my side. I do sleep on my back, but I must get onto my side at some point. I think its more body learned behavior (from tossing and turning on a mattress) than anything, but its real when you're trying to get back to sleep.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

want to jump into hammock camping

thanks everyone one..I have been leaning toward purchasing a rr.i have never tried a hammock..either gathered end or bridge..I think I can sleep on my side so hopefully rr.is the right choice

Also a dedicated stomach/side sleeper at home. The RR is as close as I can get. After a long day I have no trouble sleeping all night on my side/stomach. The amok is next on my list. Both hammocks are not cheap, but a worthy investment if you can get over the initial gear cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Having tried the RR, I found it easier to sleep on my side in a gathered end hammock. My knees didn't like the rigid sides of the RR. I found stomach sleeping in the RR impossible. I hear it works for some, but it makes my back hurt thinking about it. And I used a nice thick pad, too.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sounds like you are trying to replicate your "bed" sleeping habits in the hammock environment. Think on this ... the way you sleep in a bed is influenced by the pressures of the bed against your body. Those pressures will be different when you are in a hammock. So you might find yourself sleeping in an different position. It may not happen right away - when I haven't been in a hammock for a while, it takes a night or two for the body to re-learn that it can relax differently. So I wouldn't pursue, "It has to be the same way as when I'm in a bed." too strongly. I mean it might be that exact way, but it might not.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Sounds like you are trying to replicate your "bed" sleeping habits in the hammock environment. Think on this ... the way you sleep in a bed is influenced by the pressures of the bed against your body. Those pressures will be different when you are in a hammock. So you might find yourself sleeping in an different position. It may not happen right away - when I haven't been in a hammock for a while, it takes a night or two for the body to re-learn that it can relax differently. So I wouldn't pursue, "It has to be the same way as when I'm in a bed." too strongly. I mean it might be that exact way, but it might not.
    This^^^
    I have found that sleeping in a hammock is a completely different experience. In a conventional bed, I tend to adjust my body position throughout the night. In a hammock, I can usually lie in one position the entire night. It may be a good idea to try a gathered-end hammock and see how it goes. You may surprise yourself. If it doesn't work for you, then you still have an awesome lounger, or you could sell it on the forum.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast