HH Jungle Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG EconIncubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps

DIY Ursack

This is my first DIY, First forum post, so please forgive any faux pas and/or ambiguity in this.

I have generally lurked online and read many a forum on a wide variety of topics, and never really participated. But watching Shug's videos and reading the hammock forums here, I thought I would give it a try.

I wanted to protect my food from bears and other critters, but never wanted to lug the large hard sided containers about. I used the PCT hang method to protect the tasties, but finding a suitable branch could take some time. I saw an Ursack in a video, and it I knew it was what I wanted. Being frugal(pronounced "cheap") I balked at the $90 price tag. I knew the bag was made of a tough synthetic material like Kevlar, and knew where to get that for free. Used air bags. I happen to know of several collision repair shops, so I walked in and asked. And ended up with everything I could of wanted. I got a huge piece of multilayer Kevlar curtain airbag. It was coated with silicone rubber on both sides, so It was silicon/Kevlar/Kevlar/silicone. It was also bonded on the interior to make pockets for the bag. I tried separating the Kevlar layers, but there was no seam to unstitch, no adhesive to unbond, and my heat gun was ineffective.

The material itself proved very difficult to cut, puncture, and wouldn't melt with my heat gun (800° I use it to reflow solder). Yeah tough stuff, and waterproof. I decided to leave the 2 pieces together, it was tougher together anyway.
    20170325_011732[1].jpg20170325_011746[1].jpg20170325_095918[1].jpg

Materials are:
    Curtain Airbag
    Upholstery or leather craft thread
    Sewing machine
    Scissors
    Synthetic rope (I used 10mm static climbing rope)

1. After trimming off the ragged pieces and metal tabs and combustion chambers I cut it into a rectangle.
    20170325_011810[1].jpg

2. I then sewed a channel at the top for the cinching rope.
    20170326_151504[1].jpg

3. I then folded the bag with the outside of the bag facing inward; I sewed around the outside of the bag, careful not to sew the rope channel shut. I haven't sewn since high school (back when we wore furs and hunted mammoths) and I learned a lesson on thread tension. I thought it was the machine, so I switched to my wife's industrial Juki, but nope, just get the tension right. (please excuse my poor sewing seam)

4. I inverted the bag so the right side was out and made another seam along the outer edge, again making sure not to sew the rope channel shut. This seam is for strength.
    20170326_151935[1].jpg20170326_152141[1].jpg20170326_152829[1].jpg

5. I then threaded the 10mm static line through. Done
    20170327_164303[1].jpg

Remember to tie the cinch with a double overhand and hang from tree with a square knot.

Afterward, I wanted to do some testing; I am not a small man and lift weights, but not a bear (but the closest bear analog I had). I tried tearing the bag, stood on one lip and using my hands, pulled on the other, I tried kicking the bottom out of the bag. The leather craft thread and the dual layer Kevlar was super tough and did not tear or deform.

Disclaimer: I am not a bear, nor has this bag been tested by a bear. I cannot claim this bag is bear proof or even bear resistant. I will come back and edit this post if the bag is attacked by a bear, and let you know. As always follow the local regulations concerning bear safety and food storage.

-UltraZim

"No matter where you go; There you are." -BB

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Great job! I've been thinking of using my REI play money on a bear bag but now I might see if I can source some of this stuff!

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin WL SS
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders/many
    Very cool, good job.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Oh yes. Well done. Never thought of using airbags and that's surprising because I am also "frugal". Looks like. I'll be making some calls to repair shops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    That's brilliant! Wish I had seen this a year ago. My son totaled the family minivan last Christmas and every airbag in the thing popped, including the 2 side curtain bags. I tried tearing the curtains out of the way later (to get in and retrieve our belongings) but they would not budge. Very tough stuff indeed!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Great idea for sourcing! I had just been thinking about this the other day, so your timing is great. Thanks for posting this!

Hammock
    HH Jungle Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG EconIncubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps
    They just throw them out, and I never thought that it would be that big. Bag ended up being 15"x20", totally big enough for several days food. And with the dual silicone coating, probably smell proof as well.

I was asked what I wanted with it, I said "Making a bear bag" and they were cool about it.
    -UltraZim

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    What type of thread did you use?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HH Jungle Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG EconIncubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps
    I will look it up when I get home, but it was some sort of synthetic thread that my wife used for stitching leather. Very thick, and I could not break it by hand, always needed a scissors to cut it.
    -UltraZim

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraZim View Post
    I will look it up when I get home, but it was some sort of synthetic thread that my wife used for stitching leather. Very thick, and I could not break it by hand, always needed a scissors to cut it.
    Was it just a regular sewing machine?

Also, what needle did you use?

Thanks- looking forward to the details!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast