Hennessey Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB 4 season set
    Suspension
    JRB Complete SS

First hang in Hyperlite - advice??

My hammock finally came yesterday, so I have been setting it up several times in the backyard today. Every time I set it up, I end up having to lay in it about three times, and get out and tighten the ropes each time before it finally lays right. I'm using the technique that came with the Hyperlite. Is this normal? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You are probably getting a lot of initial stretch from the fabric and lines. After a while you won't have to readjust as much.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Yeah what he said. When I first started hanging my hh I would set it up, sit on the side and jump around a little, and then get out and retighten it. That usually did the trick. Hanging high helps.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Are ring buckle supports a better solution?

I'm also new to hammocking and have the HH Hyperlite. And, naturally, I'm having the same problem. So far, this is the ONLY frustrating experience with hammocking and I'm probably just being impatient. Its really nice to be able to sleep through the night for change.

I was thinking about putting ring buckles on anyway but I wonder if this would take care of the stretch problem -- or will the webbing stretch just as much as the spectra cord?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    You can try pre-stretching the hammock - hang TIGHT, get in, wait 5-10 minutes, get out, retighten, repeat as necessary. That worked on my ULB - kept me from having to deal with it in the field anyway.

Webbing will have some initial stretch, just like spectra. If you get the right webbing, it'll lose almost all of its stretch pretty quickly though. On the other hand, a lot of the stretch you're getting now is likely the hammock material itself, not the spectra suspension. Not much to do about that other than get it broken in properly.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    I'm also new to hammocking and have the HH Hyperlite. And, naturally, I'm having the same problem. So far, this is the ONLY frustrating experience with hammocking and I'm probably just being impatient. Its really nice to be able to sleep through the night for change.

I was thinking about putting ring buckles on anyway but I wonder if this would take care of the stretch problem -- or will the webbing stretch just as much as the spectra cord?
    welcome to the group burning cedar. the new hammock & webbing are going to have some stretching the first time or two you use it with or with out the ring buckles.
    but as long as there is no slipping going on in the attachment method, that initial stretching should end.
    but it's normal to have to re-tighten the hammock at least 2 or 3 times to account for the new stretch the 1st time or two.
    the ring buckles will make short work of any adjustments you need to make. even when stretching is no longer a problem, the buckles make quick work of hanging & centering the hammock between the trees or between the ends of the tarp.
    i favor the double rings myself but some folks like the crazy creek type buckle so you could take a look at that if you like. either buckle will be an advantage over most other ways to attach the hammock to the trees. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I did something by accident when I added my webbing to my system that I think worked really well to get out the stretch. At TD and an overnight on the way home, 4 nights total, I hung from a set of trees pretty far apart. This ment that I used almost all of my webbing.

The first couple nights I would sag a couple feet from where I started. By night 4 I didn't sag that much.

I think that next time I add new support rope or webbing, I am going to do this the first couple nights. Hanging from a shorter distance would only stretch part of the webbing and not all. This way each time you hung from a farther distance you would be stretching a new section of the webbing.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    HR, alot of that might have to do with the stretching of the tree straps if he's still using nylon like he used to several years ago (th).as the ropes are probably spectra and won't stretch much initally. also the lighter fabric of the HL will stretch alot more than 1.9 oz ripstop. i'm going to switch to either polypro or polyester if i can find it. if nylon is the problem, for the time being you can make sure the straps are doubled up (folded in 1/2) if possible and wrap any excess backward around the tree if there's any left. this should help. has anyone seen the 1" wide flat weave spectra webbing at apsltd.com? i'm gonna order some and compare it to the yates 14mm tubular. they're both around 4-5000# though.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post

Welcome BurningCedar,

I also have a Hyperlight. Great hammock. I also have the ring/buckles on it.
    The stretching should'nt last for long. I did have some additional stretching with my Speer webbing last weekend. I hung from trees 18 feet apart. The virgin portion of my webbing had not been pre-stretched yet so I re-adjusted a couple of times. The distance itself probably had something to do with it also. Hang em high.
    Go for it with the ring/buckles. They rock.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-24-2007 at 13:00.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have found that polyester webbing, at least the kind that I take off of ratchet straps, has almost no stretch to it. I no longer have to re-tighten my hammock in the middle of the night.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast