View Poll Results: What should I do about a top-entry hammock?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the 2QZQ Zipper mod

15 18.07%
  • Buy a Warbonnet Blackbird

64 77.11%
  • Other (please explain)

4 4.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images

What would you do? -- WBBB vs. 2QZQ Zipper Mod

Following up from another thread, I find myself unable to make a decision and could use some advice.

I have a 5-year old HH Explorer Deluxe showing some wear-and-tear for a hammock of that age including a foot-long tear in the bugnet close to the hammock body.

Do I send my HH Explorer off for the zipper mod, which will cost around $100 by the time I deal with shipping and customs (I'm Canadian, eh!), or do I bite the bullet and buy a Blackbird for about twice as much and sell off or gift the HH to make up the difference.

Things I'm stuck on:
    1. How many more years can I expect to get out of my HH Explorer if I go ahead with the zipper mod?
    2. At 6' 2" and 230 lbs, will I be comfortable in the shorter Blackbird?
    3. Which Blackbird makes sense for my size given I already have a set of quilts?
    4. Will I miss the bottom entry in mosquito and blackfly season?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have both a HH, and a BB.
    I just got the BB.
    I am now selling the HH.

go for the BB.
    to answer your questions IMO.
    1. you will like the zipper mod. I dont think any HH should be without it.
    2. the BB is longer. I think by about a foot. It is the roomiest hammock I have swang in.
    3. when you order, you can ask which one you need depending on your size and weight.
    4. the BB keeps the bugs out just as well as the HH. I really do think you will not miss anything about the HH if you have a BB.

someone on HF once said. "you hear of people all the time switching from HH to the blackbird, but you never hear of BB users switching to HH."
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    1 word: Footbox.

Seriously the footbox was the answer to many of my problems with hammocks and makes sleeping on a wide diagonal COMFORTABLE.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    See my responses in blue.

1. How many more years can I expect to get out of my HH Explorer if I go ahead with the zipper mod?
    No help on this, I don't own a HH.
    I'm 6' 2" 210ish with broad shoulders and I swim in the BB. When people look at it they can't actually tell if I'm in it or not.
    3. Which Blackbird makes sense for my size given I already have a set of quilts?
    I went with the BB DL 1.7 just because my weights not likely to go down anytime soon...quite the opposite probably
    The zippermod and BB both have bug protection

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    As a fellow Canuck who got the mod done, it did not cost me $100.
    If you add shipping to the cost then yes close to that. (IIRC $85 was almost the total cost)

I have never seen a BB, but all the videos I have seen show people ducking under the netting/ridgeline to get in and out. This looks very awkward (but not as bad as entering through the birth canal on the HH).

I think the Zipper mod is worth every penny. Considering the age/condition of your existing HH, just buy a new BB.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Things I'm stuck on:
    JMO, but...

* Not a clue, I haven't been able to wear-out any of my hammocks yet. Not from lack of trying.

* No problem. I'm only 6' and don't find the Explorer HHs to be as comfortable as the Blackbirds. IMO, the tie-outs on the HHs are in the wrong place to actually achieve a flat lie. At your height, I suspect you'll find the Blackbird much more comfortable than a HH Explorer.

* I'd say a 1.7 model. You could easily get away with a single layer, especially since you're a quilted hanger. However, the double will give you a touch more flatness and I suspect, more longevity from the hammock.

* That one's a pretty personal one. I don't have much of a problem with bugs following me into the hammock. What few do make it in, just provide some bedtime carnage entertainment for me. The HHs do seal-up a little bit faster, but I've never bought the claim that they are better in buggy areas. One still has to open it and stand there for a few seconds. It might be a couple of seconds faster, but not enough to matter IMO.

Still, I keep putting off sending one of my HHs to have the zipper mod done. It does make them a much more user friendly hammock. If you are already a fan of your HH and think you can squeeze a few more seasons out of it, then why not do it a favor and get it 'fixed'? I think you'll find the Blackbirds to be more comfortable, but as always, YMMV.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 01-28-2010 at 18:21.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I have a HH Explorer with 2Q/ZQ mod and a BB and a Warbonnet Traveler. No complaints about any from a comfort point of view. Two comments: 1) I would not want a HH under any circumstances without the 2Q/ZQ mod. 2) the double bottom on the Warbonnet hammocks really add a lot of potential and versatility for the use of a pad (insulation/vapor barrier/multi-use item to have in camp). My solution: Get the 2Q/ZQ Mod #2. Use the HH in the summer. Buy a new WB Traveler for a winter hammock. All this gives ultimate versatility, adds a hammock to your kit for maybe a friend's use, and costs about the same as a new BB.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    Following up from another thread, I find myself unable to make a decision and could use some advice.

I have a 5-year old HH Explorer Deluxe showing some wear-and-tear for a hammock of that age including a foot-long tear in the bugnet close to the hammock body.

Do I send my HH Explorer off for the zipper mod, which will cost around $100 by the time I deal with shipping and customs (I'm Canadian, eh!), or do I bite the bullet and buy a Blackbird for about twice as much and sell off or gift the HH to make up the difference.
    I had that exact same question, though my Exp UL was only 2-3 years old. I had the additional problem of never having been happy with my HH net, which always seemed to be a struggle for me to keep it out of my face. I could do it, but I had to set it up just right. Mind you, I always suspected my net was damaged or stretched from my miserable 1st nights use.

In the end, and because I had other no net hammocks for winter use only, I opted to just cut the net off of my HH and added WB's separate net for mossy season only. I think this cost me several(maybe 5 or 6) oz in weight compared to the smaller, attached HH net. I think 2q's mod adds 3-5 oz. so maybe a little lighter plus slightly less bulk and a bit less expensive.

It was a tough call for me, but in the end I went with the extra weight and cost for the ability to use on my other hammocks. It does work great. But if my only concern had been to improve my HH, I probably would have stuck with the 2Q mod.

Things I'm stuck on:
    I have no idea how many more years you might get out of that HH Exp, and if it would be repairable if a problem did develop. I suspect several years, but that is a wild guess.

At 6' 2" and 230 lbs, will I be comfortable in the shorter Blackbird?
    I don't think you will have any problems at all with the room in the BB. With my feet out in the foot box, it seems at least as roomy to me as my Exp.

Which Blackbird makes sense for my size given I already have a set of quilts?
    I don't think it matters as far as your quilts go.

Will I miss the bottom entry in mosquito and blackfly season?
    Hmmmm.... there is a $200 question. Certainly the net is superb on the BB. Once you are in and closed there should be no difference. But as you know, once you are in the HH, there is nothing to zip up. I'm not sure if it has ever been put to a test as to whether fewer mossies might come inside with you with a bottom entry vs side entry followed by a zip up. I do know that with practice I can be in and out of that HH awfully fast. Maybe someone here has some direct comparisons they have made.

Another question to consider: are you pretty happy comfort and other wise with your HH? If so, the bottom entry can have it's advantages occasionally, some believe. With the zipper mod, you could keep both options, and maybe save a few bucks. Of course, that still does not answer the question about your hammocks age.

Images
    P.S.
    I voted other, because I did not really have a solid opinion of which way you should go, but did present one alternative.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I have a HHBP with zippermod and it pretty much stays stored until a friends wants to use it.

Blackbird--you wont regret it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast