Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sorry worded that poorly, The shock cord on the ridge may be hard to use as it has so much stretch and the smallest diameter I have found readily available is 3/32nds and that size would be difficult to form a secure prussic around a much smaller diameter rope like the 1.75 mm line. On a larger line it would work better.

Flex meaning stretch and solid being static.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hey guys, good morning and thanks for the great responses, so I couldent stop dreaming about hammocks last night, you guys have really done a number on me
    I thought I was the only one...

Pgibson are Lash-it (grey) and Zing-it (yellow) the same rope in different color? Ive only seen the zing-it yellow. Would it matter which one I used to make woopie's out of? Are both just as easy to splice? I have a Jo-Ann fabrics like 20 min from me ill have to go check out what they have.
    No, it doesnt matter, Just as PG stated, both are the same, just different colors.

Ive found needles are more difficult to use over a piece of 20 gauge wire doubled over. Youre finished piece of wire should be between 10" and 12". Gives you something to hang onto.

Mr. Prez I want to mimic your ridgline. Is that the same set up opie uses. I would like to splice a dead eye on one end of the ridgline, and upon your advice a metal figure eight on the other. So from what I under stand you cant splice SNT so I should go with dyna glide 2mm or zing-it 1.75 (yellow or grey?). Again is any one rope eaier to splice then the other? This will be my first attempt at this. And I was considering using bunge cord for the pursick knots as well. Then I could loop the pursick 4 times but it would still give it flexibility in the wind but not loose any taughtness or slip correct?
    For the small amount of line you would order, your best bet would be the Zing It or Lash It. The Dynaglide is overkill for tarp tie outs and ridgelines. But if you really want to go with the Dynaglide... The cheapest Ive found is

http://www.treestuff.com/store/list.asp

If you choose the Dynaglide.. I get a 5% discount off the listed prices. I can help you out getting it to you.

Ive found the Zing It and Lash It easier to splice. The Dynaglide is 12 strand whereas the ZI and LI are 8 strand. Its easier to split the strand on the ZI and LI without splitting the individual strands.

You can make your prusik knots out of the same material... you dont need to incorporate SC. But you can. Your tarp ridgeline doesnt need to stretch the tarp taught. Just pull the prusiks away from one another. Your stakes will create a fair amount of tension on the ridgeline.

Ok so I had another Ideah. (I actually got it off the WBBB when I staked it out yesterday) If I just attached rope (zing-it or dyna glide) to the attachment points of the tarp. Then attached bungee cord to the rope. Then put the plastic adjusters on the bunge and looped it around the steak. Would that keep the tarp pulled out taught enough (just like the WBBB is staked out). Im sure thats been tried and is why Opie made the more studier adjusters but I was just wondering. ANd Yes I do love this forum and truley appriciate all the help and advice every one offers up.
    Plastic adjusters? Which ones are you referring to?

But what it sounds like is sorta what the JRB STL's are.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Opie I wish I knew what they were called. Their the plastic pieces that you use to cinch a draw string tightly closed on a stuff sack. You run both end of a piece of rope through the holes and push down a button to adjust the size of the loop or length of the cord? Does my explanation make sense, im sure these things have a name.

edit: Got it pgibson, that makes more sense,
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Opie I wish I knew what they were called. Their the plastic pieces that you use to cinch a draw string tightly closed on a stuff sack. You run both end of a piece of rope through the holes and push down a button to adjust the size of the loop or length of the cord? Does my explanation make sense, im sure these things have a name.

edit: Got it pgibson, that makes more sense,
    A cord lock?

It may hold under ideal weather conditions... But would probably slide under snow load or moderate to heavy winds.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Yes Opie you the man A Cord Lock, I couldent think of the name so I couldent find it on the internet. Good to know that these will only work under ideal conditions, Ill attempt to make a pair of my own tensioners and not use that idea. I know their had to be a logical reason, Thanks Opie
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Be sure to check out Ken's whoopiesling video at
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=13116&page=2

(I use thermostat wire to make my sling with amsteel blue 7/64).
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345