Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Speer No Tangle rope and Prusick Knott

So Im about to order some speer no tangle. Im going to set up an over the tarp ridgeline with prusick knotts and a reefing system. Im also going to use it for my guideline tensioners. I figured for the reef knotts it does not matter what rope I use. But I wanted to know what rope would be best to tie my prusick knott's with in order to get the maxium amount of friction. Does the prusick knott rope need to be wider or skinner then the speer rope in order for it NOT to slip. Could I just go to Joan Fabric and get some bunge cord for my pursick. I have some line from my Marmot tent that I dont use and was thinking about using that. I dont know much about knott tieing and friction of ropes against each other. Ive been trying to learn more and read all of Opie's posts (he seems to know a lot about rope). I also dont want to spend a lot of money on buying another entire length of rope for two pursick knots and some reefing knotts. Suggestion, opinions, what do you do.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

There isn't much of anything worthwhile smaller than SNT. I just use it for the prussics as well and it holds just fine. Just make sure you have at least 3 loops for maximum effect.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Normally you want the prusik to be smaller than the line it attaches to, but as Mrprez said, that's not really possible with SNT since it's already so small.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Normally you want the prusik to be smaller than the line it attaches to, but as Mrprez said, that's not really possible with SNT since it's already so small.
    This is true for climbing use.

I've found that for tarps the forces are considerably less and just adding 1 or 2 wraps when using equal diameter rope is sufficient.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    awesome guys, good to know. Do either of you have suggestions for another line to use instead of SNT. Amsteel is to expensive and heavy duty for a ridgeline from what ive read on this forum. Ive read about opie zing rope but im not so sure what it is or the abilities of it, Ive just read good things about this rope and I like supporting people on this thread. But for 26$does this rope tie it self
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

No, but it will untie itself! I have taken my tarp out of the stuff sack and faced a huge bees nest of SNT line. Usually by the time I have the tarp strung up between the trees, that bees nest usually works itself out.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    awesome guys, good to know. Do either of you have suggestions for another line to use instead of SNT. Amsteel is to expensive and heavy duty for a ridgeline from what ive read on this forum. Ive read about opie zing rope but im not so sure what it is or the abilities of it, Ive just read good things about this rope and I like supporting people on this thread. But for 26$does this rope tie it self
    The Zing It or Lash It are a 1.75mm (or 2.2mm) Dyneema fiber. Made out of the same stuff as Asmteel blue, just smaller.

$26 for a set of four gets you a set of tie outs that requires no knots. Has no knots in the construction of it other than the prusik and the knots that hold the tensioner. No tying, no untying. Set it, pull the tensioner tight and you are done.

I realize the price is steeper than just getting some line and making your own tie outs... And some folks prefer to buy all the materials to make their own.

Also.. if you are interested in copying what I do... the instructions are posted here somewhere or I can walk you through it.
    Last edited by opie; 01-15-2010 at 16:18.

I thought the OP was asking about the SNT but now that I read it closer....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Also.. the 1.75mm Zing It line has a rating of 400 pounds. Plenty for a tarp tie out. The new Prusik version will slip right around 30 pounds. It wasnt intentional that it slips at 30, but I purposefully did not add another wrap to the prusik as a safety feature. It should help eliminate torn tarps due to high winds or tripping over your guy lines.

There is enough room to wrap the prusik another time if you want. But they will come with 3 wraps.

What diameter is the SNT?

SNT is 1/16". The one issue I have experienced with SNT and prussics is the tendency to cause the sheathing to separate from the inner core. Not a major issue but it does happen.
    Also, SNT is $26/100 ft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast