Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noldhor View Post
    Hi everyone !

I'm looking for an inexpensive summer top quilt for backpacking and I try to chose between the snugpak jungle blanket and the black diamond down throw.

Both the same price here in Canada
    The throw is lightweigth around 1 pound and the jungle blanket is 1 and a half
    the throw is 60X70 and the jungle 76X64

Any experience with these quilts ?
    60" or 64" wide is pretty wide for a top quilt. You could easily reduce the width of the Snugpak Jungle blanket to 48" and get some weight and bulk savings for the blanket.

Where are you getting better pricing on the snugpak jungle blanket? Best I saw was on amazon.ca.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    60" or 64" wide is pretty wide for a top quilt. You could easily reduce the width of the Snugpak Jungle blanket to 48" and get some weight and bulk savings for the blanket.

Where are you getting better pricing on the snugpak jungle blanket? Best I saw was on amazon.ca.

Cheers

Brian

Yes Im planing to reduce it to 50 - 52 will be perfect

From amazon too, what I meant is, I can surely find a better price on amazon, the link I show above was just a quick search to show the blanket

Hi ! Got my Snugpak jungle blanket now and I really like it, its thin but hot and I'm sure I will be fine this summer with this as a top quilt. 28 oz with the stuff sack and 25 without. I will fold it and push it at the botton of my backpack without the stuff sack anyway.

Tomorrow I will sew a flat footbox, will be a perfect summer quilt.

Finally I will not reduce the width, cutting it from 64 to 50 will only remove 4 or 5 oz, Im ok with that weigth.

Ive read many complains about the blanket being slippy, not so much, I tried it in my hammock and I dont think its really different from my argon top quilts...

Oh and, some says its hard and almost impossible to put the blanket back in the stuff sack. I tried and succeed on my first attemp. Dont roll or fold it, Just stuff it and push a little bit and it will close, was not hard at all.

BTW thx everyone for helping me with my choice!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Hi ! Got my Snugpak jungle blanket now and I really like it, its thin but hot and I'm sure I will be fine this summer with this as a top quilt. 28 oz with the stuff sack and 25 without. I will fold it and push it at the botton of my backpack without the stuff sack anyway.

Finally I will not reduce the width, cutting it from 64 to 50 will only remove 4 or 5 oz, Im ok with that weigth.

Ive read many complains about the blanket being slippy, not so much, I tried it in my hammock and I dont think its really different from my argon top quilts...
    Rather than sew a foot box, you might want to consider using Cam Snaps. That's what I'm planning to do with my JB so I can use it as a top quilt or unsnap it to use as a full blanket.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Rather than sew a foot box, you might want to consider using Cam Snaps. That's what I'm planning to do with my JB so I can use it as a top quilt or unsnap it to use as a full blanket.

Just a thought.

Good idea I have everything to do it, thx

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images

I hand-sewed the bottom third of the quilt to create a foot box. I like the full width of this blanket.

I also happen to have the SP top quilt which is quite a bit thicker, heavier, and much bulkier than the jungle blanket. It is a bit longer but a bit narrower than the JB. I also wish it were as wide as the JB, and I'm not wide at all.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Sorry is is soooo long, but I've got both and use the hell out of both of them. When I first started getting into hammocks this time last year, I bought a Snugpak TQ and jungle blanket as my first insulation purchases. Since it was warming up but still cool at night and I learned quickly that just a sleeping bag or TQ wasn't enough, I decided to turn my jungle blanket into a "3/4" length UQ ala the PLUQ method. It turned out great and I used it most of last summer untill I finally snagged a Snugpak UQ from another forum member. I've since bough another J.B and use it like a blanket BC I liked the first one so much. It's a great blanket for the spring and summer since the inner,silky smooth fabric has antimicrobial/antibacterial properties and the outer is dwr treated plus its fairly wind resistant. I've used it into the mid 50's with just poly warm-up style pants,a cotton tee shirt + socks and was plenty warm. A warm sleeper might take it a few ° lower possibly though.

I have a CDT TQ as well that I bought from another forum member. It just has every other vertical seem ripped and sewn footbox with no extra down added to the qult.....unlike my CDT UQ that has all the horizontal seems ripped, has been resized and has about 4 ozs' of down added. I use the CDT TQ by itself down to about 55°, and if I pair it with my 3 season DIY apex TQ i can get into the 30's ( with the right and UQ of course) . I paired it with my Snugpak Thermalon™ bag liner the other night and was comfy in the mid 40's. I use it most of the time when I hang inside as well.

Both are great options for shoulder season/ cool summer nights, but would be used in different weather conditions .. Temps are always subjective , but for the most part these two are pretty close to being in the same range for me. Both have great modification potential and are around the same price as well. Ive got a TON of Snugpak gear and have never had any problems whatsoever with any of it. They have great customer service and you get some of the best bang for your buck around. I've got pics in my insulation album if your interested, the jungle blanket UQ is on page#1 and is on the bright green Walmart bugnet hammock. Here's the link to my YouTube channel where youll find a review vid of the CDT TQ/UQ, as well as other reviews of my quilts and gear: https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...0auvnVhQ3zRTNQ. So yeah, I LOVE my jungle blankets and my CDT equally, and am using my CDT TQ and j.b UQ right now actually! I'm a huge Snugpak fanboy lol, but I always say get what works for YOU based on YOUR situation and the conditions you'll use it in.....you'll always end up happy that way
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12