Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Polypro, Polyester or Nylon

Which is material is better for support straps? The HH Expedition I have uses 1.5" nylon tree-huggers. But I have read in places (like Ed Speer's site) that polypropylene webbing should be used. But now I see that there is polyester webbing as well...

So much to think about, please help clarify.

Thanks in advance. I am a noob to hammocking. If there is already a discuss on this topic, please feel free to direct me to it and then the moderators can close the thread if they so wish.

Thanks

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Same questions I had. Found the data at Strapworks.com helpful.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There is one other thread about it here.

Personally, I use polyester webbing. I can say for certain that Nylon stretches far too much to be ideal. And, while I only used polypropylene for a couple of hangs, I did experience some initial stretching with it too. I haven't had that problem from polyester. JMO.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    yeah guys, i talked to ed about this the other day because i'm so dissatisfied with nylon straps. of the three, polyester seems to have the best specs for hammocks, but it is harder to find, especially at volume discounts. this why ed told me he uses polypro instead. i'm gonna call some manufactures tomorrow, but they often don't carry inventory and require minimum orders of several thousand yards. i did just check out the 1" polyester from strapworks, and i'm gonna get a sample and check it out, but it costs 10 times what i can get 1" polypro for, although since polypro is weaker i might have to go with the 1.5" polypro, this makes the 1" polyester look better.but from what i understand, strength wise strongest is nylon, polyester, polypro. but nylon stretches way too much. for this reason the choice is really only between polyester and polypro. polyester is stronger for its weight and thus lighter for a given strength, that is if you can find the exact strength you need. it seems polypro (heavy duty) is 750-800 lbs/inch where as polyester is 3500 lbs/inch, don't know yet which is lighter, and these ratings could vary based on the thickness of the webbing. i know the 800 lbs heavy duty polypro is 1/16" thick, not sure the specs on the 1"polyester from strapworks though, but will soon...Brandon

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i got some of the 1.5" polypro from ed to try something different & one thing i noticed is a noticeable increase in weight.
    i don't remember how much, but it caught my attention.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Just a side note, Brandon, but I'm pretty sure Ed has been using/selling his 1" polypro webbing for hammock use for quite some time...seems like it's probably at least adequate, given that.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    well that's what i thought at first, but i looked at ed's book, the way he uses webbing, there are no knots or hitches to reduce strength (no larks head at the hammock's end and the 4 wrap knott) with tree straps, inserting one loop through the other creates a girth hitch/larks head and reduces strength by almost 50%. ed told me he was able to break the 1/2" polypro, and i'm assuming it was with his no knott/hitch 100% strength method, so with a larks head on the 1" it would be about the same strength as no knott/hitch 1/2" polypro which ed claimed he was able to break. i'll ask ed the circumstances that broke the 1/2"...Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Just a side note, Brandon, but I'm pretty sure Ed has been using/selling his 1" polypro webbing for hammock use for quite some time...seems like it's probably at least adequate, given that.

Images
    I have bounced around a lot with my 1" Speer webbing without any issues. I would be curious it's strength though.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    well that's what i thought at first, but i looked at ed's book, the way he uses webbing, there are no knots or hitches to reduce strength (no larks head at the hammock's end and the 4 wrap knott) with tree straps, inserting one loop through the other creates a girth hitch/larks head and reduces strength by almost 50%. ed told me he was able to break the 1/2" polypro, and i'm assuming it was with his no knott/hitch 100% strength method, so with a larks head on the 1" it would be about the same strength as no knott/hitch 1/2" polypro which ed claimed he was able to break. i'll ask ed the circumstances that broke the 1/2"...Brandon
    that's a good point. if you wanted to spend the time w/ it, maybe you could do some tests w/ the speer webbing used that way to see how hard it would be to break.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    Which is material is better for support straps? The HH Expedition I have uses 1.5" nylon tree-huggers. But I have read in places (like Ed Speer's site) that polypropylene webbing should be used. But now I see that there is polyester webbing as well...

So much to think about, please help clarify.

Thanks in advance. I am a noob to hammocking. If there is already a discuss on this topic, please feel free to direct me to it and then the moderators can close the thread if they so wish.

Thanks
    I can't really give an intelligent opinion of polypro, but I have used both nylon and polyester. I have to say, the polyester straps I use now are wonderful. They're 1" polyester webbing from Strapworks in the usualy ring buckle setup fashion. Very nice material. They give almost no stretch, even from the first use. On the other hand, I've used the ENO SlapStrap Pro in the past, and they are the exact opposite and strecth quite a bit each time you use them, especially when they're new. That's the reason I switched over to ring buckles with polyester straps in the first place, to be totally honest. I origianlly bought the SlapStrap Pro because of their adjustability, which is actually far surpassed by the ring buckles. They all have their pro's and con's, but to me, the polyester is ideal.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast