Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool DIY Single-Layer Reversible-Net Hammock (Chameleon-Compatible)

Introduction

I'm the proud owner of a Dutchware Gear Chameleon hammock, which I absolutely adore, and because I like the feature set and the modularity so much, I ordered some reversible Vision zippers from Dutch and built two DIY double-layer reversible-net hammocks inspired by the Chameleon to give as gifts to friends.

Pleased with the outcome of the first two hammock projects, I endeavored to make two significant changes to my previous designs, having worked out most of the engineering details on them through trial and error. First, I wanted to make a single-layer gathered-end hammock, which meant I had to find a neat method for installing the Vision zippers along the long edges of the hammock body, where previously I had been able to embed the zipper tape between the fabric layers. Second, instead of the 115" versions I had used previously, I ordered the correct longer zippers used on the Chameleon, to make this new hammock fully "Chameleon-compatible", with the idea that I would be able to use the Dutch bug net and top cover that came with my production Chameleon on this new hammock and still use the tabbed upper halves of the Vision zippers to create an additional DIY fabric top cover of my own design. (I would also be able to buy additional Dutch nets and covers in the future.)

Here is my result...

(Shown with Dutchware Gear Chameleon Bug Net installled)

Type: Single-layer gathered-end integrated-net camping hammock withmultiple side pull-out loops and a zip-off reversible bug net
    Materials: 1.7 oz ROBIC nylon, 120" Dutch Vision 2-Way Separating Zippers, 5/8" poly grosgrain ribbon, 7/64" Amsteel Blue, Mara 70 poly thread, and miscellaneous hardware
    Dimensions: 132" long x 60" wide
    Weight: 20.8 oz (589 grams) for hammock with Dutch Chameleon bug net, and stuff sack (15.5 oz for netless hammock)

Construction

This hammock followed the design of my previous Chameleon-style integrated-net hammocks except where noted below.

As blasphemous as it seems on a project inspired so heavily bu Dutch and his Dutchware Gear products, I used an available remnant of Ripstop by the Roll's amazing 1.7 oz ROBIC nylon for a bombproof single-layer hammock body with a 400+ lb weight capacity. The blank was cut to 144" x 62" and finished out at 132" x 60" after installing the zippers in a manner identical to Dutch's method for his bug net and triple-stitching some folded double-layer sewn end channels for my Amsteel continuous loops.

I added pack hooks mounted mounted on short grosgrain tabs 6" to either side of my usual tie-out loops, to give the broad radius of the Chameleon bug net better support when tied out. The pack hooks will snap on small nylon D-rings, split rings, 7/64" Amsteel, shock cord, or paracord, so they provide lots of options for tying out, and they also function as attachment points or underquilt suspension if required.

The zipper hoods were roll-hemmed on all sides and attached to the outside edges of the hammock hem, rather than sandwiching them between the hammock body and the zipper tape.

Evaluation

In a word, comfortable! The base hammock weighs less than a pound and has a better load capacity than many double-layer camping hammocks. The ultrarobust ROBIC fabric is super-supportive and really matches my preferences for a firm lay in a single mid-weight layer of fabric. I can now mix and match compatible top covers (both Dutch and DIY) between hammocks to my heart's content. (I have already started work on a vented top cover made from calendared 1.1 oz ripstop nylon and 0.9 oz NoSeeUm mesh, and I have an OutdoorINK printed poly taffeta cover on the drawing board...)

Mission accomplished. I'll be sleeping out in this hammock tonight. Thanks for reading my project report.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-06-2017 at 22:00.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    kitsapcowboy, your endeavors are very impressive, and you choose a fabric to suite your needs. Oh wow, you done it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    kitsapcowboy, your endeavors are very impressive, and you choose a fabric to suite your needs. Oh wow, you done it up!
    Thank you for your kind words, PG

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Nice work, as usual! I was wondering where you place the tie-outs to match the asym cut of the chameleon net? I have the zippers and thought I might make a body to accept a net for when I can purchase one later on.

I think I read that you normally put them at 23" from the midpoint of the long edge, does this mean you located these at 29 and 17? Thanks for your help

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Nice work, as usual! I was wondering where you place the tie-outs to match the asym cut of the chameleon net? I have the zippers and thought I might make a body to accept a net for when I can purchase one later on.
    Thanks.

I mark the midpoint of each long edge; the grosgrain loop tie-outs are 23" from the midpoint, and the extra pack hooks are +/- 6" from the grosgrain loops.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thanks.

I mark the midpoint of each long edge; the grosgrain loop tie-outs are 23" from the midpoint, and the extra pack hooks are +/- 6" from the grosgrain loops.
    Gotcha! Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool Overnight Test Report: The Next Morning

I spent a pleasant seven-hour slumber in my new hammock last night. It performed very well.

Since weather conditions were mild, with a low of 43F, light winds, and drizzle, I set up the hammock with the Dutch factory bug net under my minimalist Hammock Gear Cuben Fiber tarp. For insulation, I tossed in my DIY CS 3.6 (40-degree) top quilt and blew up my Klymit Insulated Hammock V sleeping pad.

The firm but supple lay of the 1.7 is ROBIC body fabric was a prime contributor to my getting some very restful sleep. The hammock was comfortable straight through the night. I slept mostly on my back, with a brief shift to side sleeping early this morning the one time I awoke. There was zero shoulder squeeze. The standard width of 60" seemed generous (I'm 6'2", 175#) even with the net zipped on and the 47" wide air pad inside. Zipper action of Dutch's remarkable reversible Vision zippers remains very good under tension, in any direction, and across hammocks. The Chameleon components indeed live up to their billing as parts of a modular system.

I have no doubts I will be spending a lot of nights in this hammock this spring and summer...IF I can pry myself out of my beautiful Dutch Chameleon!

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-09-2017 at 20:20.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool DIY Chameleon-Compatible Vented Top Cover Completed

DIY vented top cover made from 1.1 oz calendared ripstop nylon and 0.9 oz NoSeeUm mesh with Dutch Vision reversible zippers

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit, SBP
    Tarp
    bushcraftUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    HG econ 30*
    Suspension
    straps w/ whoopies
    where do you get your Robic fabric ?

• + New Posts