Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images

Video: REI Hammock v. Ridgerunner

We just finished our head to head comparison of the REI Quarter Dome Air Hammock and the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock. This was a super fun video to make. Let me know what you think.

MM

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Great work on this video

Addendum: Apropos to your on-camera comments, as one of the guys online here who "claims" to have a relatively lightweight bridge hammock, for comparison I would direct you to to my DIY project report for my "Web Slinger" bridge hammock build. As shown in the photos, the hammock itself (which holds with room and comfort at 6'2" and 175 lbs) weighs less than 6 ounces; with carbon fiber spreader bars it still clocks in at just 12 ounces, and with bars and tree-to-tree suspension (straps, toggles, whoopie slings, and Dutch bling) it still tips the scales at 1 lb 1 oz.. The symmetrical shape with a 32" waist and 36" ends gives me room to stretch out or side sleep. There are other guys out there with even lighter bridge hammocks, but after the first dozen nights this one seams to be holding up well under normal use for a camper under 200 lbs. The hammock fits nicely under my UGQ Hanger 12 sil-poly tarp at about 15 ounces, providing pretty substantial weather protection, and my DIY Xenon Wide 6' x 9' rectangle tarp provides shelter comparable to the REI rain fly at just 8.1 ounces. I haven't DIY'd a bug net for it yet, I'm sure I can come up with a solution that weighs less than a pound for that to go surpass the REI's weight advantage over the Warbonnet... Narrow standard underquilts like the AHE KAQ Jarbidge River or Ridge Creek fit great on this hammock, as do ground camping pads like the Klymit Static V.

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-07-2017 at 14:16.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You hang damp socks above your head?!?

Really good video and comparison, thanks for making it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the great review but if the tarp has to be replaced and you have to add a pad is the REI hammock still the lighter better choice? You know what they say. HYOH.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks for the great review but if the tarp has to be replaced and you have to add a pad is the REI hammock still the lighter better choice? You know what they say. HYOH.
    Valid points. No easy answers.

Images
    Good review, I would like to point out a couple things...

1. For a long time we have been adding rings to the underside of the RR netting at the customers request, if anybody wants this feature it can easily be added.

2. The weight comparison is comparing apples to oranges, the cloudburst tarp from the comparison is twice the size of the stock REI fly. Our Edge model would be a close comparison in size however, it is nearly half a pound lighter than the Cloudburst for reference.

3. The height of the side-wall on the REI vs RR...I do not see how a layer of lightweight fabric provides any warmth to your knees whatsoever. If anything, pressing your knees against a sidewall compresses the insulation of your sleeping bag in the knee area creating a cold spot there, while having nothing in that spot in the RR would still allow the insulation to retain some loft.

4. Lead time to ship Ridgerunners has been under a week for awhile now and is advertised as such. In fact many items are currently in-stock with little to no lead time. We have run longer lead times in the past, but this does not mean we are currently, the 1-3 week lead time to ship that was mentioned in the video is inaccurate.

5. Hardware. You can buy everything you need right from our website. Being able to pick which tarp model you want and choose to buy carabiners or not because maybe you already have some, pick between a couple different suspension options, add extra hardware beyond what comes stock...these things are not necessarily a downside, in fact it gives you more options to mix, match and customize your setup for your specific needs.

6. The REI is described as having built-in spreader bars. Are you able to remove them and substitute hiking poles in their place for weight savings like you can on the Ridgerunner?

7. Curious, How long are the whoopies and tree straps on the quarter dome? Their specs do not say.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    It's so hard to make a proper comparison video that isn't 30+ minutes long. We had to cut out a lot of footage. Your points are well taken Mr. WB.

If you buy everything on your site your the price is at least $380 to get a similar setup to the REI. Well worth the price because you're getting great Warbonnet and Dutch gear. But the $160 difference might be a deal breaker for those who are just getting into Hammocks.

I love my Warbonnet/Dutch equipment. I think it's some of the best out there. I used the Ridge runner in the video because I think it's the hallmark bridge hammock.

Nothing but respect.

That is a really nice video, but I have to confess that it makes me want to buy the ridgerunner based upon your narrowness and comfort comments. Plus once I get into that price range a little more or a little less cost isn't important to me relative to quality and how well it does its job.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    [QUOTE=Mogollon Monster;1769335]We just finished our head to head comparison of the REI Quarter Dome Air Hammock and the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock. This was a super fun video to make. Let me know what you think. [QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I agree; it's a great VIDEO. Good audio, picture, pacing, editing... some effects and cutaways a bit of humor etc, etc.
    Pretty horrible content and review though. Hopefully this is taken as constructive criticism, that's how it's meant.

Shug makes amazing videos, though you may note that most of his videos were/are not very sophisticated, but the content was/is there. Clear information and knowledge was passed on and a bit of personality and humor break it up.

So a head to head video? Wherein the RR makes a 5 second cameo- which is fine for most of us familiar with it- but if you're doing a head to head maybe some side by side specs would be good and more direct comparisons. So did you measure the head pole there or the foot pole? So what if one is bigger? I have a bridge that uses 26" poles and it's probably more comfy than the REI bridge... and slapping a 40" pole in the REI bridge probably wouldn't fix it's design flaws.

An entire 2 nights in the hammock by you? I eyeballed this bridge when it was first posted here and said it wouldn't work without a pad... one crappy night though and you've nailed that down without a doubt? You never know... maybe they did nail it and come up with a design that would defy common knowledge but that's a big question and fairly critical with a head to head to answer. Not everyone makes gear or understands that just because it's called a bridge... this isn't really one.

How about your attractive co-host? What did she think of it? If she's just eye-candy; no complaints from me as far as her being there... but if you're concerned with making a boring video why not have her hop in the hammock as you spin around with the camera and tell us about the hammock? Point out how it pinches her shoulders... or have her do the same with you. Get a few different angles of somebody in there- point out why it doesn't work without a pad and then shoot with the pad in and why it's now working. Good looking girl in the hammock while you geek out about specs or point out flaws is a visually engaging way to cover actual info without loosing the audience.

So if the conclusion is that the hammock cannot function without a pad... what pads work? Did you reach in the garage and pull out the ol 20" Self inflator that you assume many own? If we're talking air pads is it vertical or horizontal pads? Is a 1/4" foamy enough to stiffen it up, does one need a 20", a 25" or a 30". What do each of you weight, how tall are you... looked like your head was hitting the top of the hammock and you didn't fit that great. How long is the actual bed area... how does that compare to the RR? Did a long pad help, does it work with a short pad? Guess those are all hard to evaluate with only one night in the hammock. And many would probably agree... once you've reached the conclusion that the REI hammock CANNOT be used without a pad... doesn't that pretty well mean the better head to head would be the Amok? Again... just because REI called it a bridge... I think many would say if a pad is required then it's not a bridge: it's some kind of hybrid design. That's okay- but like Brandon said- apples to tomatoes here- even if they are both technically fruit.

IF a hammock can't be used without a pad to complete it's structure then is it actually a hammock? Isn't that an incomplete design? Since your conclusion seems to gear towards the REI being a complete package and decent value... shouldn't that package include a pad then? What pad for the intrepid "first timer" to use when comparing? If the hammock is a good match on cost... but requires a $xxx.00 pad to function then what is your "trail ready" cost. Your co-host car camps... doesn't backpack... that's fine so do many here. So is there a conclusion then... "slap a huge pad in and you're in car camping heaven" or take a pass for backpacking because of this.

You have a good video. But if you were so concerned about the conclusion you made that you did at least 3 "bits" with the helmet and even got machine gun sound effects involved... maybe worth spelling out your argument.
    Those little animations/white board transitions are good... too bad you didn't use them to spice up some head to head specs or as a tool to present boring information more accurately.

Again... this probably reads like I'm ripping you up... to an extent I am. I learned less from this video than I did from the REI website and that's the bottom line.

You seem to enjoy shooting these... I get the sense you probably had most of this info recorded but you cut out the substance and stuck with the fluff.
    If the topic is of enough interest to watch... then it's probably worth your audiences time to watch it...so don't worry about the run time at the expense of the actual topic.
    You have the tools to break up a long video- use em. How many Shug videos are 20 minutes, or 30, or part one, two and on.

You have the equipment, the skills, and the right stuff to make a great video- hopefully you do take this critique constructively. Video was great.
    Yar this isn't the academy awards and everyone is a critic... it's certainly better than the video I didn't shoot.
    But you seem sincere in trying to help out: you're investing your time and money into shooting this so, I hope you feel the sincerity in my comments.

CONTENT First... then splash it up and make it purdy. All the pieces are there... just put them together

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    For someone car camping one or two times a year the REI may be a good choice but anyone with any long term or backpacking knowledge they are not going for the REI it's strictly a rookie piece of equipment .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast