Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Send it to me and I'll compare it against my amok��

Ps everything bill said x100

If you wanted to do a head to head the ridge runner has to actually be there

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    https://youtu.be/qhRP1U1SdcQ

pretty good review here

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I have spent a couple of nights in the REI hammock and did not have an issue with either shoulder squeeze or sleeping on my side with an UQ; I actually found it to be very comfortable. I am 6' 1" and 180 lbs, so maybe I am not broad enough for that to be an issue.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    I have spent a couple of nights in the REI hammock and did not have an issue with either shoulder squeeze or sleeping on my side with an UQ; I actually found it to be very comfortable. I am 6' 1" and 180 lbs, so maybe I am not broad enough for that to be an issue.
    I'm glad you're getting a good nights sleep in the Half Dome. It's an awesome hammock. Despite my own experience, I think a lot of people are going to be stoked on this hammock.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think the actual comparison was a soft one, and therefore, I'm fine with their summary in the video. The RR has so many features to it, you just can't really compare it to the REI hammock, which frankly, seems a lot more like the JRB bridge. Some of the REI hammock seems well thought out. Some, I scratch my head on. But I think you have to figure their target is the potential Hennessy customer, which surprises me since they sell Hennessy. Its an "all in one" package like the Hennessy, brighter colors like ENO and less expensive than their modular pkg, and it looks more like a floating tent which makes it a welcoming gateway to hammock camping newbs. Potentially, this has the most selling power I think, and of course, that's what its all about for them.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    It sounds like really how most of REI's gear usually fares. It's not the most feature-rich. It's not got the best curb-appeal. It's not really pegged out in two corners of the Cheap, Quality, Weight triangle but it's generally good gear that will do the job at a fairly good price point. I kind of suspect that is deliberate in many cases. You don't want to cut the throats of the brands that distribute through your stores. What's the point of selling your wares in REI if they just knock you off and undercut your price?

It looks like they did a fairly decent job with this. I'd argue that plastic tensioners are firmly not in the great hardware realm though. I have I don't know how many examples over the years of age and sun brittle plastic busted in roles like that. Buckles, cord-locks, D rings, etc. I really hate to see plastic in those roles. In cold rain and wind, having a plastic bit crack and break could make for a REALLY bad night. Not saying their plastic will, but still, not really my idea of great hardware.

I think it's very much what was mentioned. A decent stepping stone into the world of hammock camping that would be easy to order and use and might lead to more specialized gear down the road. Or not, if the person is satisfied with the features and use of this then it fills a market segment. One of the hard parts of getting people into it can be the overwhelming nature of all the choices. Man just the ropes to hang with can lead to a dizzying array of options, buckles, slings, straps, rings, etc. This is nice from the perspective of a newb that just wants to get a hammock and accessories that are known to work well together.

REI needs to improve the tarp. This reminds me of the old Clark approach to the tarp. Yeah, it's enough so long as you nail the pitch, the height, and the centering right but even 6 more inches would make it SO much easier to get covered when you don't have time to fuss over it. They got that better and REI can too.

Nice review! I've been really curious to see how these turned out.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Just saw one of these Quarter Dome Air hammocks hanging up on display at the Portland REI store, today. The sales guy said they'd gotten a few in I guess earlier this month, but they're sold out now. The hammock itself is hanging fairly high up (overhead), so was unable to get in or even look inside. No sign of a place to put a pad (its a single layer, as far as I could see); the head- and foot- end poles seem to be the same length, and it looks like they're attached to the suspension at the ends, although the poles can be broken down into two equal segments. The (included) tarp was not a part of this display, so I did not see that. Very limited compartments for storage; nothing like the Ridgerunner's saddle bags. It is sold only in a garish red-orange color (the one I saw looked much more red than the color that came through in the video review, above).

I guess its a good thing for hammock camping in general that REI is making this, but I'd say the Ridgerunner is a much better choice for any one backpacking.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Really cool video, congratulations ! Nice to see you guys : )

HOW CAN YOU DARE DISMISSING THE RIDGERUNNER §§§§!!!!!!!!

No, seriously : a useless tarp, uncomfortable with an UQ, high walls and shoulder squeeze... omg. Good to drive off newcomers from hammock camping, you'd better say !!

+ the netless RR is rather inexpensive.

And see what the Spindrift makes out of your RR : a Palace **** !! You can store there half of your wardrobe.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 04-22-2017 at 14:07.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cocked and loaded....ready....aim.....

So the tarp provides entirely inadequate coverage? So then in reality you pay 219 for the hammock and suspension alone...a tarp that cannot handle heavy rain, wind, etc will not help a beginner at all - they need excess coverage to ensure a good first experience!

A shelter seems almost the most important aspect of your camping setup so out of the gate this is a huge failure?

It sounds like to me that if you need a thick pad to make it work, the hammock on its own build merits is poor...but i suppose practically speaking if you have a pad and are buying this you could be ok...it just seems that for 200+ dollars for hammock, suspension, and useless tarp - the hammock should be on its own comfy (mind you - some it appears say it is comfy and can be used with UQ so my comments are running with the OP conclusions).

You seem to find value in this for a beginner...what I see for a beginner is not a cheap setup by any means, and if by chance your first camping nights it rains, you get wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    As a (relatively) new hanger, I thought you did a great job with the video. I've never used a bridge hammock, but I can understand why you would say the REI is a better choice for the new hammock user. If they want a simple, all-in-one system from REI, now the new user has a choice between Hennessy for a gathered end or the REI for a bridge. Ultimately, it's a way to get new users away from tents and into hammocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast