Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG WB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Good review, I would like to point out a couple things...

1. For a long time we have been adding rings to the underside of the RR netting at the customers request, if anybody wants this feature it can easily be added.

2. The weight comparison is comparing apples to oranges, the cloudburst tarp from the comparison is twice the size of the stock REI fly. Our Edge model would be a close comparison in size however, it is nearly half a pound lighter than the Cloudburst for reference.

3. The height of the side-wall on the REI vs RR...I do not see how a layer of lightweight fabric provides any warmth to your knees whatsoever. If anything, pressing your knees against a sidewall compresses the insulation of your sleeping bag in the knee area creating a cold spot there, while having nothing in that spot in the RR would still allow the insulation to retain some loft.

4. Lead time to ship Ridgerunners has been under a week for awhile now and is advertised as such. In fact many items are currently in-stock with little to no lead time. We have run longer lead times in the past, but this does not mean we are currently, the 1-3 week lead time to ship that was mentioned in the video is inaccurate.

5. Hardware. You can buy everything you need right from our website. Being able to pick which tarp model you want and choose to buy carabiners or not because maybe you already have some, pick between a couple different suspension options, add extra hardware beyond what comes stock...these things are not necessarily a downside, in fact it gives you more options to mix, match and customize your setup for your specific needs.

6. The REI is described as having built-in spreader bars. Are you able to remove them and substitute hiking poles in their place for weight savings like you can on the Ridgerunner?
    Well said. I agree. The REI tarp is way too small, so the weight comparison is not accurate. Also, I agree on the other points. Maybe a review of the REI alone would have been better. I think your video gave me the opposite conclusion as you; I would definitely get the warbonnet RR and skip the REI. The major negatives of the REI definitely outweigh the positives (having to use a pad, small tarp). I really like REI, I have lots of gear from them and think they have great customer service; but, I do not think the REI hammock is better than a warbonnet.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Taking a step back from my previous "firing squad" sort of post - a follow up question.

Willl this tarp, in a heavy summer pop up rain that can indeed happen often, actually keep you dry? I watched a different YT review and it looked like once you sat down in the hammock, the spreader bars nearly pop out beyond the edge of the tarp line?

I mean, is it "useless" or is it "marginal"....example...it appears the asym hennesy tarp was often cited as being "just a bit too small for my taste" but if used right would work in most rain conditions....vs "useless"?

Thanks.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    Taking a step back from my previous "firing squad" sort of post - a follow up question.

Willl this tarp, in a heavy summer pop up rain that can indeed happen often, actually keep you dry? I watched a different YT review and it looked like once you sat down in the hammock, the spreader bars nearly pop out beyond the edge of the tarp line?

I mean, is it "useless" or is it "marginal"....example...it appears the asym hennesy tarp was often cited as being "just a bit too small for my taste" but if used right would work in most rain conditions....vs "useless"?

Thanks.
    If you pitch it low and tight it will protect you from the rain. It will not protect your underquilt from blowing sideways wind IMHO. In light rainy conditions it will do its job for sure, but I wouldn't trust it in a read downpour

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Video: REI Hammock v. Ridgerunner

This may be a dumb question as I am still pretty new to hiking and backcountry camping....

Can one really predict "light" vs "heavy" rain?

My limited experience so far has proven some unpredictability

I guess what I am asking is that since this is a great "starter setup" are you recommending for a noob swapping out the tarp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    And do they sell the hammock without the tarp?

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    This may be a dumb question as I am still pretty new to hiking and backcountry camping....

I guess what I am asking is that since this is a great "starter setup" are you recommending for a noob swapping out the tarp?

I would keep it - no reason not to. But I would get a second tarp for when more weather is expected. This is not uncommon. I have a Blackbird XLC. On nice days I'll bring the Mamba Jamba tarp and I use it mostly for shade and wind protection. In the winter I carry the Superfly. So if you're buying the REI hammock or any other hammock, I don't think its unreasonable to get a second tarp to help with bad weather.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Really liked the video.

I agree the REI hammock is more likely a starter hammock for someone just trying hammocking out or is more of a fair-weather camper. (And a lot of people are.). Although the $200 plus price tag makes it a pricey way to try it.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

Not entirely but you can get a good idea looking at the details of the forecast. Is it all day rain with rainfall total of 0.2" and light wind? Then you are likely talking just dreary drizzle. All day rain with totals in the inches, then you are looking at all day soaking onslaught of rain. (Did you seam-seal?). Thunderstorms.... all bets are off. Could be just moderate rain, could be wind driven heavy rain, could feel like lake Michigan is falling from the sky, or maybe just drizzle.

Usually the forecast 1 or 2 days out is decent. Not 100% for sure but more likely than not to be close to the actual weather. In that tarp, I would not go expecting any kind of likely thunderstorms, or heavy drenching rain that starts splattering up from the ground to get you from underneath.

Still I have seen several people now report that they were dry after fairly heavy rain in the standard REI kit, but I suspect they are not noobs at tarp pitching. I am fanatical about having as much coverage as I can. Being cold sucks, being cold and wet is complete misery. I like to hedge my bets and just stick to a large tarp. If I carry a few extra ounces and the weather ends up being calm, well so what, I get that much more shade. But if I try to skimp and the weather turns to crap then I'll be kicking myself for not having brought something bigger. I like having more defense from the wind and rain coming at me from the sides too. But that's me.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    [QUOTE=Just Bill;1769807]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post

How about your attractive co-host?
    I love her !

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Rookie gear that's what I was looking for anyway.

Weather needs to turn so you guys have less keyboard time.

Thinking I was having some buyers remorse, I went back into the competitors site and dropped the bridge hammock and a tarp in the cart.

I got the old model with 25 dollars off...135 vs. 455.
    On a teachers salary.
    Last edited by Obiecamper; 04-28-2018 at 22:26.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast