3/4 Length RipstopByTheRoll Apex UQ Design Mods?

I recently bought the 3/4 length Apex UQ kit from RipstopByTheRoll and I'm wondering if anyone who knows this design can advise on customizations. I've never owned an UQ so I don't have any direct experience to lean on. The quilt will be used under a Chameleon or my DIY bridge hammock for summer backpacking. I'm using a 0.66 oz Membrane shell and 3.6 oz Apex. Some ideas I'm considering:

• Custom length - The design calls for about 52" finished length which matches the HG Phoenix but is shorter than the 56" JRB Greylock. I'm 6'1" tall, is there an ideal 3/4 length based on body measurements?
    • Suspension - it seems like most commercial designs run the shock cord through channels in the long sides whereas the kit design only uses linelocs on the four corners. Is 0.66 oz Membrane durable enough for cord channels?
    • Replace grosgrain cinch cord channels on short ends with a fabric channel - I caught a YouTube video that commented the grosgrain was stiff and didn't cinch well. I'm considering leftover Membrane for this too.
    • Draft collars? These may be above my "advanced beginner" sewing skill level.
    • Anything else?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-15-2022 at 16:48.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I’m not as tall as you (5’10”) but find the length on the HG Phoenix works well for a summer weight 3/4 UQ. I’ve also used the Greylock and would expect the extra 4” of length would be welcomed at your height.

While the kit design suspension is easier to make, I think the through channels make it easier to slide the 3/4 into the right position and also help to get it to follow more of the diagonal lay. 0.66/10D fabric is too thin for the suspension channels without some form of re-enforcement material. HG uses a tighter weave ribbon sewn over the channels with grosgrain and linelocs for the secondary suspension. Same fabric is used on the short end channels. I’ve also seen 1.9oz nylon recommended for the channels in lieu of grosgrain.

Draft collars aren’t needed for summer weight UQs, but I do find they help block cooler air as I shift positions at night.

Have fun with the kit. I’ve made some of their DCF kits and enjoy using something I finished myself.

I've made the full length 30 degree version using RipStop's kit several years ago, so I'll offer an opinion or two on a couple of your points.

Grosgrain ends: Forget the grosgrain on the ends. You're correct that it's too stiff to cinch well. I made it that way at first but later ripped out the grosgrain and made a channel for the cinch cord out of left over fabric. Works much better.

Suspension: I made mine the way the directions suggest and haven't had an issue with it. You can modify to use channels on the long sides, but may run into the accordion effect where the quilt bunches up in the middle as it sags. I don't know if "most commercial designs" run shock cord through side channels or not, but my AHE Jarbidge isn't made that way and it works great.

For the sewing I'd recommend using a teflon foot on your thread injector; it makes things easier.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I got a 3/4 last year and the cords on it drove me crazy, running across my face and tangling up w/ my feet. I tried a few mods w/ the cords but finally went a whole different route, I had it modified so that it was like a short bodied Trailwinder and couldn't be happier.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Thanks for the advice Twistytee, SidneyHornBlower, and LowTech! I'll plan on a 54" length for a little margin of error even though 52" could be fine for me if perfectly aligned. I'm going to build the cinch cord channel out of some tbd material stronger than Membrane but more flexible than the included grosgrain. I also found this post that has a nice discussion of the pro's and con's of different UQ suspension designs. I'm still debating on what to do with the suspension but leaning towards the simpler 4-corner design provided by RBTR. I may add side channels too so I can try each or both in combo. I think I'll skip the draft collars for simplicity given the warmer temperatures I'll use this in.
    Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-16-2022 at 23:02.

• + New Posts