Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    I'm impressed. I'd like to see some photos of your tie-outs when you get a chance to update the thread.
    Thanks, geneaut. Here you go. The bar-tack stitching was a bit rough on the first side tie-out where the needle has to go through six layers of grosgrain, but it got easier on the next three corners... I'm definitely happy with the way the ridge line tie-outs work; they are super-strong!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That looks fantastic! Beautiful design and beautiful material!

Do I understand correctly, that you did not incorporate the sil-poly reinforcement patches into the 1/4" rolled hem? If I follow, the reinforcement patches are laid on top of the rolled hem, and incorporated into the grosgrain edge.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    That looks fantastic! Beautiful design and beautiful material!
    Thanks, Crazytown

Do I understand correctly, that you did not incorporate the sil-poly reinforcement patches into the 1/4" rolled hem? If I follow, the reinforcement patches are laid on top of the rolled hem, and incorporated into the grosgrain edge.
    Actually, the converse was true. My construction steps were as follows:

1) I stitched down the (inverted) 1.1 oz sil-poly reinforcement patches on the underside of the tarp at all the corners. Then I flipped each patch over, finger-pressed the anchor seam, and laid down a second row of stitching parallel to the first one across each patch 1" further out toward the corner.

2) I completed a narrow (approximately 3/8") perimeter roll hem all the way around each side of the part, starting just past the ridge line seam and stopping just short of it on the opposite end. (During this step I incorporated the sil-poly reinforcement patches into the roll hem of the tarp material.)

3) Following the same path as the roll hem, I carefully laid down the folded 7/8" grosgrain ribbon edge binding.

NB: This is significantly more work (and significantly more nerve-wracking) than single-stitching (or even double-stitching) a typical perimeter roll hem, which I usually make a bit wider (the width of my standard presser foot) than the skinny one I needed to hide inside the ribbon. At various point while you lay down the ribbon, the hidden roll hem will try to walk out on you like a mail-order bride, so you'd best remain mindful and moderate your speed. However, this method hides well the minor variances typical of sewing a roll hem with slippery fabric around an aggressive catenary curve, and the edge it creates is undeniably strong, with the wind loads borne by the grosgrain from the ridge line down to the corner tie-outs.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-13-2017 at 14:28.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thanks, Crazytown

Actually, the converse was true. My construction steps were as follows:

1) I stitched down the (inverted) 1.1 oz sil-poly reinforcement patches on the underside of the tarp at all the corners. Then I flipped each patch over, finger-pressed the anchor seam, and laid down a second row of stitching parallel to the first one across each patch 1" further out toward the corner.

2) I completed a narrow (approximately 3/8") perimeter roll hem all the way around each side of the part, starting just past the ridge line seam and stopping just short of it on the opposite end. (During this step I incorporated the sil-poly reinforcement patches into the roll hem of the tarp material.)

3) Following the same path as the roll hem, I carefully laid down the folded 7/8" grosgrain ribbon edge binding.

NB: This is significantly more work (and significantly more nerve-wracking) than single-stitching (or even double-stitching) a typical perimeter roll hem, which I usually make a bit wider (the width of my standard presser foot) than the skinny one I needed to hide inside the ribbon. At various point while you lay down the ribbon, the hidden roll hem will try to walk out on you like a mail-order bride, so you'd best remain mindful and moderate your speed. However, this method hides well the minor variances typical of sewing a roll hem with slippery fabric around an aggressive catenary curve, and the edge it creates is undeniably strong, with the wind loads borne by the grosgrain from the ridge line down to the corner tie-outs.
    Outstanding! Thank you for clarifying that. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read that you had done a 3/8" roll hem AND grosgrain edge treatment.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Outstanding! Thank you for clarifying that. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read that you had done a 3/8" roll hem AND grosgrain edge treatment.
    Yeah, I know, and I agree, but since it was my first time experimenting with the method, I wasn't completely sure whether the raw edge could simply be inserted into the binding and stitched. Since I was using relatively expensive fabric ($12 per yard on the printed side), I decided I was better safe than sorry, and I roll-hemmed the perimeter first. At least I know I created a super-strong tarp for my efforts.

Next time I try it, I'll try to use less expensive sil-poly seconds and eschew both the roll hem and the corner reinforcements; I'd like to see just how well a grosgrain-only hex tarp holds up. It will cut the build time down significantly, although I will say the relative stiffness of the roll-hem made it easy to insert the tarp material to a uniform depth within the folded ribbon, minimizing puckering; I have a feeling running the raw edge into the folded ribbon neatly will have its own learning curve. C'est la vie...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-14-2017 at 06:50.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Winter 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* quilts
    Suspension
    beetles
    An absolutely beautiful tarp. Thank you for sharing and letting us see your work.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    That's a work of art in more ways than one!
    Quote Originally Posted by AsaHanger View Post
    An absolutely beautiful tarp. Thank you for sharing and letting us see your work.
    Thank you, guys. It should be getting the overnight test in a few weeks' time.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Lightbulb Version 2.0 (Grosgrain Only)

Today I replicated this tarp to virtually the same design specifications, except that I omitted the sil-poly corner reinforcement patches and used the same two-way looped tie-outs that I debuted on my Batwing DIY all-season tarp. Finished weight was a very attractive 13 ounces on the nose. Eliminating the reinforcement patches at the corner knocked somewhere between one and two hours off of the build time (part of which involved the time-consuming encased roll hem on the original tarp). I also used my new edge-binding presser foot to install the grosgrain edging, which can improve both speed and precision once you're acquainted with its function.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-25-2017 at 23:26.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Amazing as always! You have phenomenal workmanship sir, I'm sure your wife was very happy with her work of art.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    12' UGQ WD marpat
    Insulation
    3S Yeti & 0+2 HG I
    Suspension
    Buckles
    That is one gorgeous tarp!!! I'd give my left ear for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast