Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Many thanks. The tarp is still holding up like the day it was made. After building this and several other similar tarps to test these techniques, I have reached a couple of conclusions:

1) Grosgrain-only finishing is best for hex tarps as opposed to winter tarps with vestibule doors, owing to the force vectors and the perimeter-to-ridge line ratio; you can use grosgrain to finish a rectangle tarp, which sort of splits the difference between the other two types, but the structural advantage of the grosgrain is really best exploited only when all the tie-outs on the ground edges are deployed in a colinear fashion on either side of the tarp, rather than with the corners folded in like doors.

2) The area of highest stress on a two-piece tarp seems to be right at the ridge line tie-out, where there are significant forces deployed in a variety of vectors. A tarp with no pack cloth reinforcement here can be strengthtened by anchoring thoroughly the grosgrain edges from the two panels into a sandwich at each terminus of the folded grosgrain over the RL standing seam, as well as by sewing a short additional length of grosgrain (not necessarily the same width) straddling the RL as a connector between the edging of the panels on each side.

3) It's never a bad idea to have reinforcement patches -- especially at the ridge line -- if you value trailworthiness and dependablility, even when finishing a tarp with grosgrain ribbon. I don't think I'll ever build a two-piece tarp without RL patch reinforcement again, just for peace of mind. The weight penalty is minimal, and the biggest negative I see is usually the increased build time for your DIY tarp project, which is a one-time hit in return for what should be an extended useful lifetime for your weather protection.

The next time I get a chance, I'll try to post some detail photos. HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Many thanks. The tarp is still holding up like the day it was made. After building this and several other similar tarps to test these techniques, I have reached a couple of conclusions:

1) Grosgrain-only finishing is best for hex tarps as opposed to winter tarps with vestibule doors, owing to the force vectors and the perimeter-to-ridge line ratio; you can use grosgrain to finish a rectangle tarp, which sort of splits the difference between the other two types, but the structural advantage of the grosgrain is really best exploited only when all the tie-outs on the ground edges are deployed in a colinear fashion on either side of the tarp, rather than with the corners folded in like doors.

2) The area of highest stress on a two-piece tarp seems to be right at the ridge line tie-out, where there are significant forces deployed in a variety of vectors. A tarp with no pack cloth reinforcement here can be strengthtened by anchoring thoroughly the grosgrain edges from the two panels into a sandwich at each terminus of the folded grosgrain over the RL standing seam, as well as by sewing a short additional length of grosgrain (not necessarily the same width) straddling the RL as a connector between the edging of the panels on each side.

3) It's never a bad idea to have reinforcement patches -- especially at the ridge line -- if you value trailworthiness and dependablility, even when finishing a tarp with grosgrain ribbon. I don't think I'll ever build a two-piece tarp without RL patch reinforcement again, just for peace of mind. The weight penalty is minimal, and the biggest negative I see is usually the increased build time for your DIY tarp project, which is a one-time hit in return for what should be an extended useful lifetime for your weather protection.

The next time I get a chance, I'll try to post some detail photos. HTH...
    Good stuff...thanks!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234