Dutchware Netless Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Straps for now....

The Walmart Camping Section

Just thought of a slightly on-topic discussion topic for all y'all since many of us do involve our hammocks in camping throughout the year.

What's the one surprisingly quality or at least useful camping-related item you've found at a Supermarket?

For me, Walmarts seem to having a shockingly decent camping section. My Walmart even has more of a tent selection than the local sporting goods store.

My Walmart Camping treasure find: Figure 9s. Niteize Figure 9s were my goto hardware of choice until I discovered the humble prussic knot. In time, I'll be investing in some Dutch bling.

So what's the supermarket camping item of great value you stumbled upon?

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Not necessarily a camping piece- although they stock them in the camping section, but I really like my Ozark Trail stainless steel tumbler. I use it every day. From what I've read, they are made in the same factory as the Yeti brand, but are less than $10. Can't go wrong.

As for the item I use every trip, it would have to be my Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 pack. It's a very nice inexpensive pack. It does have its limitations and oddities; but it holds quite a bit of gear, and to me is pretty comfortable. It cost me $30.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    A huge selection of various types of bug spray.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    They have these collapsible forks for roasting hot dogs and marshmellows over a campfire for like $2 each- car camping gold!

But the best and most useful is the three bag set of waterproof roll-top bags. I use them on every single trip. My wife dunked her pack in a river once but the wp sacks kept her clothes dry.

A close second is their Ozark Trail waist packs. Very durable and handy for short day hikes when you don't need a back pack, and only $10ish bucks.

Don't forget their clothing section. Wicking shirts and shorts, sock liners, wind breakers, and so much cheaper than the stuff at REI. If you don't need a "name" on your stuff you can't beat it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I usually pick up Heet and fuel canisters at Walmart.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Sawyer squeeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    They have these collapsible forks for roasting hot dogs and marshmellows over a campfire for like $2 each- car camping gold!

But the best and most useful is the three bag set of waterproof roll-top bags. I use them on every single trip. My wife dunked her pack in a river once but the wp sacks kept her clothes dry.

A close second is their Ozark Trail waist packs. Very durable and handy for short day hikes when you don't need a back pack, and only $10ish bucks.

Don't forget their clothing section. Wicking shirts and shorts, sock liners, wind breakers, and so much cheaper than the stuff at REI. If you don't need a "name" on your stuff you can't beat it.
    Forgot about the roll-top dry bag. Great deal! Love mine!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My local Wal-Mart is a necessary evil in my small town, and it is a handy source for lots of inexpensive hiking and camping doo-dads for expedient outfitting and repairs, such as adequate (if not mil-spec) 550 cord, reflective poly cord, Nite Ize products, knock-off MSR aluminum Y-stakes, HEET (in the yellow bottle), Sawyer water filters, space blankets, foam pads, and Gear Aid repair tape.

As something of a thought experiment given substance, I bought a couple $9 synthetic 50-degree sleeping bags from Wal-Mart, and with some grosgrain ribbon and shock cord I turned them into four 3/4-length hammock underquilts (two per bag), working out to about $20 per UQ...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mer-Underquilt

(They carry a $20 product called a Deluxe Cool Weather Sleeping Bag -- much lighter and rated for 40F -- which would be an even better candidate for such a conversion; with minimal sewing skills and extra components from Wal-Mart you could make an adequate full-length 3-season underquilt.)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 04-14-2017 at 14:41.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ohhellokrollshow View Post
    My Walmart Camping treasure find: Figure 9s. Niteize Figure 9s were my goto hardware of choice until I discovered the humble prussic knot. In time, I'll be investing in some Dutch bling.
    I agree. I pick up one of those $9 guyline sets every time I get a new tarp. I don't use the stretchy line it comes with, but the small black plastic 9s can't be beat. They're the one exception when I prefer something else to Dutchware.

I'm tired of overpaying with that line so I asked Nite Ize about buying some separately. I got an email back with a link to the metal ones. I specifically mentioned "plastic, not metal" about 3 times in the email. Unfortunately some people don't know their own product, or just there to pick up a paycheck and waiting for 5:00 so they can run home and get bent.

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Sawyer squeeze and the mighty blue sleeping pad. Also agree with the synthetic clothing above.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast