Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS

Hammock vs cot....

Im sure this has been covered before, but my mind is wandering tonight. Why dont folks that tent camp with cots require underquilts?... Im sure some use pads, but prior to my hammock camping days, I would sleep in a cot without a quilt, in the same temps and not have the cold butt I do when Im in my hammock? My friend and I still camp at the same campsite, same time of the year with the temps dipping into the 20s at night, and he is perfectly fine still in his cot with a sleeping bag and yet I need an underquilt to make it through the night....

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It's probably because the tent is a closed environment as the hammock with a tarp has a lot of holes to let air in/out.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I think trailslug is right

out in my uninsulated sunroom, I'm comfortable with very little insulation in crazy low temps, but since there's no wind at all, i suspect the convection penalties are minimized

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by -FiveFiveSix- View Post
    Im sure this has been covered before, but my mind is wandering tonight. Why dont folks that tent camp with cots require underquilts?.......
    In cold weather, a cot needs something for insulation. Visited Yellowstone a few years ago in June. While day time temps registered > 100*F in nearby Cody, temps hovered around 40 overnight inside the park.

Our first night's stay, I thought I was being gallant letting my wife and youngest son have the cots while myself and older son took the insulated mats and slept on the ground. They were miserable. I tried to spend the next night on a cot but could not.

There is no difference in Cot vs Hammock with regard to needing insulation beneath. My guess is your friend's sleeping bag is thick and synthetic.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    The cot I have is also a much thicker material than most hammocks, also, nylon transfers cold really well, whereas some other materials don't transport as much cold.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Images
    back when i used a cot, i used a pad with it.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Well, obviously the environments are different. How many degrees does an enclosed tent add? Higher ambient temps, no moving air make it very possible your friend is doing just fine without significant bottom insulation. 20s, though? Sure there isn't some bravado involved?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    When I use a cot, which I do in my basecamp tent, I have to use a pad for insulation. My dad didn't realize this the first time around and he got cold. Now everyone uses a pad with their cots. Of course I go all cushy and sleep in my bedroll on my cot which has a memory foam mattress topper as part of the system :-)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    After many nights on a cot, I can verify that you absolutely need the same insulation. As long as we're talking the thin fabric cots; a mattress type is obviously different.

The old CCF pad worked for me, but with condensation. That was never a problem since I just left it set in the tent all day to dry out.

I still remember the first night using my nice new cot...13° low and I was freezing!! After that, I learned the that the pad was necessary just like on the ground.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    My indoor hammock is made of heavy cotton - no under insulation needed. Whereas I do need it with my regular hammock indoors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast