Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nebraska lurker turned poster

*waves* be gentle.

Well I guess to start just jump right in. In April I've been planning on doing a three week hike on the appalachian trail. It's gonna be great! Three weeks is hardly enough time to screw something up (majorly at least) so I've got a date set, tickets bought, and figured i should start in on gear.

On a whim I went with my father while he was looking at scheel's for a new gun. I poked my head into the hiking/camping area and looked around and spoke with the salesman. In the end I left with just a entry level Kelty which is made for Scheels (plastered with their logo) for $90. It's bigger than what i was aiming for at 4500ci, but it'll cinch up nice and tight.

A while ago I signed up for whiteblaze to gleam as much information as I could from the minds of those who have come before. While researching the guides about supplies and gear I saw HAMMOCKS. Well now that piqued my interest and got to looking around. And from reading this forum and whiteblaze and a few other review sites I decided I would go with a Clark.

When I got home last night from Scheel's with new pack in hand I sat down at the computer and ordered myself an NX-150.

I am patiently awaiting its arrival. I have already thrown a lag bolt through a column of the porch out back and the clothesline pole in preperation for its arrival. (Please note that by "patiently awaiting" i mean to say "it better hurry up!")

So I've got the three biggest purchases of my little three week jaunt acquired. (plane, pack, hammock). And although the weather here in Omaha, NE is still "cold" I am absolutely thrilled to get my hammock set up and camp out in it on the first night even if it is in my backyard in sub-freezing temps

<--- me when I saw the clarks
    <--- me purchasing the nx-150
    <--- me immediately after said purchase.
    <--- me because i have to wait.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum!
    A hammock will serve you very well on the AT. What section are you planning to hike?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt &amp; Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Huggers
    Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find this to be a friendly and informative place!
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome OnionFyre. Read, read, read some more, test it out at home and you will be all set for your trip.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!
    A hammock will serve you very well on the AT. What section are you planning to hike?
    I'm just starting in georgia. I've got friends in ATL. I work the night shift at work. And it is set up in a way that you work ten hour shifts, seven days in a row. There's no "overtime" because three days fall on one pay week and four on the next pay week. But it's made up for in the fact you work seven days then seven days off! So I take a one week vacation from work and that give me a off-week/vacation-week/off-week trifecta.

My last night on I get off the clock at 8am on a sunday. I'll be leaving two hours early on the 18th of april to get to the airport and land in ATL. Friends pick me up we'll do some hanging out since i haven't seen them in over a year and half. Crash around 7 or 8 pm at one of their places and be on the trail by 8 or 9am the 19th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find this to be a friendly and informative place!
    thanks It has been a wealth of knowledge already. All the information that abounds here is what led me to purchase the Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Welcome OnionFyre. Read, read, read some more, test it out at home and you will be all set for your trip.
    its Orion, like the constellation

I'm quite excited for it to arrive. very much so. I'm sure my dad is tired of listening about my upcoming trip as well. I actually have a question already about some insulation. I know it gets down to around 50 that time of year at night. and I'm a warm sleeper so I think just a fleece will suffice. (i sleep with my bedroom window wide open when it's 60 and I sleep with just pajamas on top of the blankets.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionFyre View Post
    I know it gets down to around 50 that time of year at night. and I'm a warm sleeper so I think just a fleece will suffice. (i sleep with my bedroom window wide open when it's 60 and I sleep with just pajamas on top of the blankets.
    You've got plenty of time to discover this, but hammock hanging is a whole other game when it comes to being a warm sleeper. Your mattress is giving you all kinds of insulation below; you aren't going to have that advantage in your hammock. 50F is pretty cool in a hammock and I'm betting that you'll see nights at least that cool. I would take a pad of some kind. Your fleece may well get you to that temp (won't know till you try), but you don't want to be miserable at night because you're cold. Take a pad, if you don't need it great. At least you had it.

My $0.02.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 &amp; Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 &amp; HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Welcome to HF. Have a great trip. Post pics!!!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Welcome Orion... You have certainly come to the right place.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Welcome to HF. I am a new hanger in south Alabama (actually I am still waiting on my BB to get here so I am not hanging yet). Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Glad to have you here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast