Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    30 faces down. Then rotate the whole thing 15°. I'm not at all sure this will work...just spitballin' here.
    Ohhhhh, I'm with you now! Thanks for your patience! I have some 30s here, so I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Update on the mods:

I tried tying cord from top of foot end to each foot of head end and vv. I also tried tying to the bolts about halfway up (taking the cords to the opposite side top). Both attempts made my ridgepole bow up in the center to the point that it would've cracked. I'll try some of the other ideas tomorrow. The mosquitos sent me back inside.

since putting tension with line on your ridgepole doesn't work, perhaps you could make ridged triangles by using a bunch of 45 T- fittings:

45.jpg

Its probably a lot more weight. You'd need 2 toward each end of the ridge pole, and 1 on each leg, plus 4 lengths of pipe to go where the cord was.

I am not sure how small they make the 45 degree T fittings either...

what you are looking for is essential how a metal frame swing set is set up = the reenforcement I am suggesting is the blue in the pic below, but would be further away from the corner as I imagine the cord was when you tried that. When looking for that image I noticed that almost every swing set has the legs angled away from the ridge pole in both directions. You'd need longer poles, and more fittings to get the double angles, but that might also help with stability.

swing set.jpg

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfeet View Post
    what you are looking for is essential how a metal frame swing set is set up = the reenforcement I am suggesting is the blue in the pic below, but would be further away from the corner as I imagine the cord was when you tried that. When looking for that image I noticed that almost every swing set has the legs angled away from the ridge pole in both directions. You'd need longer poles, and more fittings to get the double angles, but that might also help with stability.

swing set.jpg
    I was just about to ask if that might help. I've noticed the same thing on swing sets. I've got some extra pipe at home, so I'll try to attach the braces temporarily first to see if that works. Adding fittings to the legs means cutting my existing leg pieces, which means my legs won't nest anymore. That's a huge down side since the whole point of this stand is to get it on the plane to Iceland. Nesting legs saves half the volume of the stand that takes up space in my pack. I'll have to think on that one, but I agree that those top angle braces might be the key to stability. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    A possibility to counteract some of the end to end wobble would be to add paracord or whoopie sling cross brace from the top corners to the feet on the opposite ends. Put it on the side you are least likely to access the hammock. It would depend upon the feet not sliding together, but they could be sunk into the ground slightly or braced against rocks or such.

Also, the only way I've been successful in lashing pvc (other than practice) is to slip a tight fitting bicycle innertube over the pvc to keep everything from sliding on the pipe. A squirt of hairspray between the innertube and pvc makes it even more secure.

Best of luck ... jealous of the trip.

Corwin

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by CorwinC View Post
    A possibility to counteract some of the end to end wobble would be to add paracord or whoopie sling cross brace from the top corners to the feet on the opposite ends.

tried & failed (see earlier posts)

Also, the only way I've been successful in lashing pvc (other than practice) is to slip a tight fitting bicycle innertube over the pvc to keep everything from sliding on the pipe. A squirt of hairspray between the innertube and pvc makes it even more secure.

thanks! I'll try this.

Best of luck ... jealous of the trip.

Corwin

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Duct tape to the rescue. If you're still open to trying lashing again, and slipping was an issue before, try wrapping 2-3 layers of duct or Gorilla tape where you want to put the lashing. Also, check use a more abrasive type rope instead of a smooth tent or climbing cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    ps, 99txaggie: don't forget Muster tonight.

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Duct tape to the rescue. If you're still open to trying lashing again, and slipping was an issue before, try wrapping 2-3 layers of duct or Gorilla tape where you want to put the lashing. Also, check use a more abrasive type rope instead of a smooth tent or climbing cord.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

And headed to muster. I even went in Costa Rica when I lived there. Nice to have Aggies all over the world.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 99txaggie View Post
    I tried tying cord from top of foot end to each foot of head end and vv. I also tried tying to the bolts about halfway up (taking the cords to the opposite side top). Both attempts made my ridgepole bow up in the center
    How about tying your cross-bracing like this,

That might solve the issue of the ridgepole bending up.
    Take a line, tie a fig8 on the bight to form a loop to slide over the ridgepole, then take the tails of the line down to the bottom of the feet and secure them.
    You could combine it with the original lashing (from apexes to feet).
    Quote Originally Posted by 99txaggie View Post
    It's like an obstacle course climbing over all those lines to get in. Wouldn't want to have to get up for anything in the middle of the night! Lol
    Perhaps just do the cross-brace lashing in one side, leave the other side to enter/exit.
    This might cause an issue with lateral stability. So you might address that by X-bracing the legs on the ground (head-right to foot left and v-v).
    Like this,
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast