Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH

Question Iceland stand - PVC/EMT, nesting legs

Howdy! First thread here besides my intro, so bear with me. I've been working on the impossible, a portable hammock stand that breaks down to fit in my pack along with all my gear for 2 weeks, doesn't require any tools or stakes, weighs under 10lbs, and will pass thru airport security in a carryon. I'm getting close now after 20+ failed designs, but I need help with stability. I call this my Iceland stand bc that's where I'm headed. No trees, icy or rocky ground most places (so stakes aren't a guarantee), changing camps every night, etc. I've napped in this stand for about 3 hours, but there's a lot of end-to-end sway (head-to-toe). Any ideas on how I can stabilize this thing, considering all the above constraints?

Specs:
    65" long, 60" wide, 32" tall, 8-9lbs

Parts:
    4 - 3/4" x 24" PVC (legs)
    3 - 3/4" x 21" PVC (ridgepole)
    4 - 1/2" x 24" EMT (legs)
    3 - 1/2" x 21" EMT (ridgepole)
    4 - 3/4" x 6" PVC with end caps (optional feet)
    8 - thumb screws with wing nuts (12 w/feet)
    2 - 3/4" 3-way PVC fittings
    2 - 3/4" PVC couplings

Everything else is paracord now but will be replaced with whoopies soon. The 1/2" EMT nests inside the 3/4" PVC for transport, held together by the thumb screws. Couplings permanently affixed to center section of ridgepole. 3-ways permanently affixed to end ridgepole sections (so no loose pieces). The hammock in the pix isn't staying. I just made it to test the stand & hammock size. Replacing it with tablecloth hammock. I added the 6" feet only bc I was sinking in the wet ground & needed those few inches to keep my butt from dragging but don't plan on using them unless I need PVC at the leg ends for whatever I use to stabilize.

I tried stabilizing with guylines, but that might not be an option in Iceland, so I don't want to chance it. Also doesn't work as well as I'd hoped anyway. I'm hoping to find something that I can change about the stand or add to it (besides guylines). I'm open to suggestions! Sorry, idk how to rotate pix here.

20170416_144943.jpg

20170416_145159.jpg

20170416_145925.jpg

20170416_145220.jpg

20170416_145051.jpg

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I love the concept and the problem you're trying to solve. I can't help but will be watching and learning from the replies
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I love the concept and the problem you're trying to solve. I can't help but will be watching and learning from the replies
    Thanks Mike

Maybe a 4 way on the top ends (instead of the three way) with a close 45 for a third leg to counteract the head to toe sway?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    the only other thing I can think of that's not guy lines of some sort would be to hang a 2nd ridgepole from cordage, just like the turtledog stands

that way it's only down force on the legs, and the end to end sway "should" be contained to the length of cordage used to suspend the ridgepole

other than that, everything looks great

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by meierjo View Post
    Maybe a 4 way on the top ends (instead of the three way) with a close 45 for a third leg to counteract the head to toe sway?
    As far as I know, there's no 4-way shaped like that for PVC, not in 3/4" anyway. You're basically saying turn the bipod into a tripod, right? The only 4-ways I've found is a regular cross shape (plus sign) and the one you linked, which means I'd have to use small pieces of pvc to connect multiple fittings on both ends. The extra legs & fittings would probably add another 3lbs too.

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    the only other thing I can think of that's not guy lines of some sort would be to hang a 2nd ridgepole from cordage, just like the turtledog stands

that way it's only down force on the legs, and the end to end sway "should" be contained to the length of cordage used to suspend the ridgepole

other than that, everything looks great
    Thanks tikker. It's been a long time in the making! So where would the 2nd RP go? Above, below, or beside the existing one?

Yes - tripod the ends. The site I linked to does have the 4way in 3/4", but yeah, weight adds up with 2 4-way, 2 45s, a couple of shorts, and two more legs.

So the sway is at the top of the rig? As in the legs stay put and the "top" rocks head - to - toe? I wonder if it would help to tie the toe end legs to the head end 3-way and the head end legs to the toe end 3-way. Kinda like the really crappy edit job I did below:

Roped.jpg

Hammock
    Roo (home), DIY (camp)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY & EE
    Suspension
    Dyn/poly & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by meierjo View Post
    Yes - tripod the ends. The site I linked to does have the 4way in 3/4", but yeah, weight adds up with 2 4-way, 2 45s, a couple of shorts, and two more legs.

So the sway is at the top of the rig? As in the legs stay put and the "top" rocks head - to - toe? I wonder if it would help to tie the toe end legs to the head end 3-way and the head end legs to the toe end 3-way. Kinda like the really crappy edit job I did below:

Roped.jpg
    That's a good idea! I'll try it tomorrow. Only have paracord here now, but it should at least give me an idea of it would work. And yes, only the top is swaying, not the ends or legs.

Here's a link to another Bipod type stand: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...2C+quick+bipod

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast