Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Lake George will be a lot more crowded. At least it was when I was canoeing and camping in the Adirondacks, circa 1960, but reports from friends who've been more recently suggest that Raquette Lake, Tupper Lake or the Saranacs would still be nicer. Maybe just do part of the Fulton Chain. There are campsites along it. Consider where you're likely to camp, and do some more research. A lot of the lakes are surrounded by private land.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Was up around Tupper and Cranberry in the late fall last year. Not a fan of the power boats in the area and the campground was loaded with RV's.

There are plenty of smaller lakes nearby which can be explored. And there are a few trips in the works by some HF members for that timeframe. Keep an eye on the Trip planning area.

Racquette Lake Outfitters have been pretty helpful over the phone.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Stillwater reserve is isolated and has a ton of islands for some rest and or fishing. If you want primitive that's the spot I think.

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    Having finished the Cranberry Lake 50 you know the availability of sites around Cranberry Lake. And the water is perfect for a Kayak as long as you stick to the shore line as it can be very windy.

I wondered where you went. Good to see you considered camping back in the Adirondacks. I wish you and your family well at your new duty station.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    I'm down by the Finger Lakes, but head north whenever we get a chance. We try to find​ a new spot each time, so I can't help you there. But! I highly recommend these guides: https://scmaps.com/fishing-map-guides/

Being a non-native New Yorker, it's helped me countless times with season/size/daily limits along with waterfalls, hiking trails and water access points and portages.

When you buy the physical book, it comes with a free downloadable e-book copy! That was my pleasant surprise last year, and it looks like they still do it.

Hope that helps you with your Wilderness Week!

~Jess
    Awesome guide. Thanks for posting - I'm going to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I often go to Lake Lila - very remote and peaceful. I took my sons there for six years straight. It can get a bit crowded on weekends, which I avoid.

Back in 2014, we paddled the Little Tupper-to-Lake Lila traverse, which was quite an adventure.

I'm not sure the legal status of crossing the private Brandreth land - it was legal when we went but may be in limbo right now.

All I know is that I have had several phone calls and even a videoconference with the NY State Attorney General's office, who may ask me to testify in court about the traverse (they're trying to win a court case to open up the Brandreth land permanently).
    Good to know. I'm going to skip anything that requires a portage. My Kayak (Hobie Pro Angler) weighs about 120lb dry...

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Lake George will be a lot more crowded. At least it was when I was canoeing and camping in the Adirondacks, circa 1960, but reports from friends who've been more recently suggest that Raquette Lake, Tupper Lake or the Saranacs would still be nicer. Maybe just do part of the Fulton Chain. There are campsites along it. Consider where you're likely to camp, and do some more research. A lot of the lakes are surrounded by private land.
    I was looking at Tupper and Saranac, but I think it may be just a bit too far for me. I need to check out the Fulton chain. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Was up around Tupper and Cranberry in the late fall last year. Not a fan of the power boats in the area and the campground was loaded with RV's.

There are plenty of smaller lakes nearby which can be explored. And there are a few trips in the works by some HF members for that timeframe. Keep an eye on the Trip planning area.

Racquette Lake Outfitters have been pretty helpful over the phone.
    I'm always down for company, so if a group paddle/hang was happening at the same time I would definitely do that. I'm pretty familiar with Cranberry lake.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Stillwater reserve is isolated and has a ton of islands for some rest and or fishing. If you want primitive that's the spot I think.
    Good to hear about Stillwater. How's the fishing? Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Power View Post
    Having finished the Cranberry Lake 50 you know the availability of sites around Cranberry Lake. And the water is perfect for a Kayak as long as you stick to the shore line as it can be very windy.

I wondered where you went. Good to see you considered camping back in the Adirondacks. I wish you and your family well at your new duty station.
    Yes - I've been leaning towards Cranberry since the fishing seems to be better than some of the other lakes. Maybe we could meet up for a day hike? I know you're generally free during the week.

Hehe, if I was to tell my wife I'm spending the night out in the wilderness, there would be no way in hell she would let me go without her!

I'm blessed, what can I say

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    g2outdoors,
    How do you always manage an outing that includes wilderness hammock camping and good fishing?
    I must just be living incorrectly.
    Happy for you my friend! And you know, PICS or it didn't happen.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Been there many times but it bears noting (pun intended) that the north side was reported to have one of the largest bear sitings/populations in the Ads. Another point is that this lake is deceivingly dangerous. I've seen storms kick up whitecaps in hours when previously it was calm as glass. Lastly there have been some drownings over the years of people who drink too much and think they can swim to a "nearby" island that is actually much further away. Enjoy, be informed, and be safe.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    My father-inl-law has a camp on Fourth Lake in the Fulton chain of lakes. A lot of camps in the area not a lot of open space. Look into Long Lake maybe. I've kayaked Fourth Lake and that area. Good day paddle. Never kayaked Stillwater Reservoir been there for a weekend during deer season. Seems like a good open space of water. I have done some hiking around Eagle Bay and have seen a bear every time. Need to be careful.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowanderer View Post
    g2outdoors,
    How do you always manage an outing that includes wilderness hammock camping and good fishing?
    I must just be living incorrectly.
    Happy for you my friend! And you know, PICS or it didn't happen.
    Go with me!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast