Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Member LVI Bushcraft & Survival's Avatar
    Hammock
    Want a CLARK, but I have a DD
    Tarp
    British basha
    I also have the DD Travel Hammock. I got it for its double waterproof bottom for better weather resistance. It’s also great to put your choice of insulating pad in between the two layers and it doesn’t move or interfere with your other bedding. It’s not the best hammock, but it’s good and comfirtable also. Good luck!

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Noord-Brabant
    Hammock
    DD Hammocks Superlight range
    Tarp
    DD Superlight
    Insulation
    underblanket
    Suspension
    whoopie slings?
    I've got a DD-only gear setup currently: DD superlight hammock and superlight tarp, and the underquilt.

I also got myself a 25 meter cord and some of their little carabiners. I am glad for that as the carabiners are a bit flimsy, I replaced one on the UQ last month. The pegs of the tarp are a bit on the weak side as well, but that might be my perspective as I am used to large steel pegs for the 8-10 person tents we have at the scouts.

So to give a breakdown on my gear (which I have for almost a year now, and used 6 times I think):

The hammock:
    I am 1,78m tall and a slender built person. I fit comfortably in this hammock, although there is not a lot of room left. If you are a wide or heavy built person or 1.90 meters tall this hammock might be too small for you.
    It is easy to set up, and loops the for the UQ are on good positions. I would like to have more loops to add some flexibility to hanging the UQ, and maybe some other stuff, but that's just thinking in possibilities and not negative feedback.

The packed hammock is small, and fits in the side pocket of my backpack, which is a big plus.

I added a ridgeline the last time from a spare bit of rope, to hang my headlamp (flashlight on a headband) and my match on. This was a great improvement. It is not structural, as the rope is very stretchable.
    I also added a bishop bag to keep the hammock clean when setting it up, and to have something to put some stuff in. This is not really a great success but it is also not a drawback really. You don't need it, let's put it that way.

The tarp:
    The tarp is 3x3 meters and large enough for the superlight hammock. It will not be large enough for longer hammocks.
    The tarp comes with 3 loops on the top which you can use to pull the rope trough. It does not come with a rope to hang it from itself. It does come with 4 pegs and iirc 5 (4+1 spare) lines to tie it down to the ground with said pegs. The pegs are orange by the way, so you are able to see them. The lines are black and very hard to see.

Question, as English is not my native language and Google translate abandoned me: How are the these lines called? For now I will call them tarp-to-ground lines.

I found it hard to get the tarp up correctly, I am often struggling with having it upside down, sideways and all sorts of wrong positions. I must say I am getting better in it so it is a matter of practice. For now it does take some time to hang the thing. Setting up a 1 person tent is often faster.
    The tarp is very thin, and packs very tight into the bag it comes in. Because it is so thin the tarp feels flimsy. To hang the tarp I use a 25 meter long cord, which is always tangled when I unpack it. It does do it's job very well though, as it allows me to tie it very tight.
    I found it is easy to clean with a wet or damp towel or cloth.

One of the best discoveries I made on this tarp is the fact there are 5 loops on the bottom sides to tie the tarp-to-ground lines from. by default these are on the outmost loops. If you number the loops 1 to 5, from left to right (when seeing the tarp from the side) then the default position of the tarp-to-ground lines is on loop 1 and 5. I personally prefer to put them on loop 2 and 4. I can then use the spare carabiners to connect the corners of the tarp to make a tent from it. This stops the wind and gives me a bit more privacy.
    See the photo's below of this setup. The conditions I took these pictures in were as follows: It was rather windy with big gusts of wind, we had a hailstorm in the morning, rain later and at night it was -2 degrees C.:

This tarp, when packed, fits in the (other) side pocket of my backpack, although only just.

Then there is the underquilt: This is the largest item of the three items listed. It works rather well, even in warm weather. I used it from -2 C to +20 C and it was good at all temperatures. It comes with carabiners to clip it to the hammock. These carabiners are the same as the ones they sell at their store. I think the carabiners are the weakest link in this, as the clipping bit can wiggle about quite a bit and thus break the carabiner.
    the UQ is long enough, it is adjustable on the front, rear and the sides, and is to be secured with 8 carabiners to the hammock. 2 on each end and then 2 on each side of the hammock, using the loops on the hammock. works rather well.

I personally pack the UQ in the brain of my backpack, so that the main storage compartment is not used for my hammock setup at all. I also use a sleeping bag, that does go into the main body of the backpack, but on the bottom.

I would recommend the gear, but only if you are not much taller or larger than me. If you are 80 kilos or more, or 1.90 cm or taller the hammock probably will not fit you and for this money you can better buy a larger piece of gear.

Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on the DD superlight hammock and related equipment.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12