Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiseddie View Post
    Ok...This is probably a total 'nube' question. Am I correct that the 30* hang angle is when the hammock is empty? I had a disagreement with a friend about this. I was in my hammock and he stated that my hang angle was too slack and needed to be tightened. My claim was if I wasn't in the hammock, it would return to the correct angle.
    I guess that really depends on if your have a CRL or not, 30% is an approximation like guideline to get a good lay in your hammock; depending on you, your hammock, and perfect hang angle is really a matter of preference, and a matter of what your gear can handle comfortably with out any permanent breakage, stretch, or ripping. So if it is working out for you what your friend thinks really does not matter, besides I like to go with the idea that I am always right kind of thinking, lol, even though sometimes I miss it by just a little.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    I guess that really depends on if your have a CRL or not, 30% is an approximation like guideline to get a good lay in your hammock; depending on you, your hammock, and perfect hang angle is really a matter of preference, and a matter of what your gear can handle comfortably with out any permanent breakage, stretch, or ripping. So if it is working out for you what your friend thinks really does not matter, besides I like to go with the idea that I am always right kind of thinking, lol, even though sometimes I miss it by just a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    When you're in the hammock. Think about the hammock calculator and how everything is figured... your 200 lbs (or whatever it is) is part of the equation for calculating the other forces, which finding balance with all the other forces is what the 30 degrees is about.
    I do have a SRL. So, if I am not using the "calculator" and am by myself how would i go about determining the current hang angle when in my hammock? I haven't encountered any issues, yet, I am just curious if there is some way I should improve my method of hanging (or if it is even necessary).
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    xenon/bonded/RecWi
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I do have a SRL. So, if I am not using the "calculator" and am by myself how would i go about determining the current hang angle when in my hammock? I haven't encountered any issues, yet, I am just curious if there is some way I should improve my method of hanging (or if it is even necessary).
    When I hang my WBBB XLC I like to keep the foot end a little higher but I eyeball my SRL to be just at the point where it still has a little sag but almost straight, I have found that when the SRL is tight is prone to calfridge and not such a good lay.
    When I hang my Raven I keep both ends level and go a little less slack in the SRL compared to the XLC but enough to still twist it when laying in it.
    And when I hang my Half-wit, I like alot more droop in the SRL than either of the other hammocks.
    all of the above is from the perspective prior to being in the hammock with the exception of being able to twist the line when laying in it.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 05-12-2017 at 17:10.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    HG Incubatr/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    When I hang my WBBB XLC I like to keep the foot end a little higher but I eyeball my SRL to be just at the point where it still has a little sag but almost straight, I have found that when the SRL is tight is prone to calfridge and not such a good lay.
    When I hang my Raven I keep both ends level and go a little less slack in the SRL compared to the XLC but enough to still twist it when laying in it.
    And when I hang my Half-wit, I like alot more droop in the SRL than either of the other hammocks.
    all of the above is from the perspective prior to being in the hammock with the exception of being able to twist the line when laying in it.
    Thanks. Good stuff to consider for the Half-wit. I just purchased one, but haven't slept in it yet.
    Deadrise, Derailleurs, & Dirt

Images
    Ok...This is probably a total 'nube' question. Am I correct that the 30* hang angle is when the hammock is empty? I had a disagreement with a friend about this. I was in my hammock and he stated that my hang angle was too slack and needed to be tightened. My claim was if I wasn't in the hammock, it would return to the correct angle.
    YES you should be eyeballing the 30 degree angle with no one in the hammock. All the measuring and calculating is over once you climb in. :-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'll put this here since I can't remember what thread or member I learned this from. If you have an iPhone; open the compass app, then swipe left- now you have a level and don't have to worry about how accurate your 'finger gun' is. It has definitely helped me get a comfortable hang faster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12