DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

MI > Pictured Rocks NCT > August 11-14

Ok, folks. Time to get planning for a trip along Pictured Rocks lakeshore from Grand Sable to Munising. michigandave has an awesome write up of the hike here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-15-to-5-17-15

As of right now I'm thinking August 11-14. We would arrive at the trail head early on the 11th, I'll likely camp at or near the visitor center the night before or stay at a hotel in Munising. I would like to average about 12 miles a day in order to finish at a decent time on the 14th. I'll be purchasing my backcountry permit on June 1 so let me know if you're planning on coming and we can make arrangements for me to add you to my permit. The cost is $5 per day per person.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    punkisdead. Hi, that I know of there is nowere to camp at or near the vistor center. You can drop south on H13 about 5 miles find a 2 track and just canp in the woods. You will be in the Hiawatha National Forest. I do it all the time. Also you can only have 2 hammocks per site. Have a good hike
    Dogger

There is a campground west of town on 28. Maybe 2 miles I have never stayed there
    Last edited by Dogger; 05-08-2017 at 12:52.

Hey, thanks for mentioning my trip! Now I feel that people actually read my long winded, picture heavy posts. . The campground Dogger referred to is in Christmas called Bay Furnace (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...O&parkId=72065 ). I remember driving through it a couple years ago when I was up there, but don't recall what the hanging options were. You may just want to toss in a tent and, dare I say, go to ground.....

A cheap place to stay in Munising is Scotty's Motel on Cedar Street. My buddy and I sought refuge there after a epic 2 1/2 day Log Slide to Munising hike back in October 2011. You can also walk to the bar right around the corner. Don't forget to stop in a Johnny Dogs and order the piggy fries!

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Hey, thanks for mentioning my trip! Now I feel that people actually read my long winded, picture heavy posts. . The campground Dogger referred to is in Christmas called Bay Furnace (https://www.recreation.gov/camping/b...O&parkId=72065 ). I remember driving through it a couple years ago when I was up there, but don't recall what the hanging options were. You may just want to toss in a tent and, dare I say, go to ground.....

A cheap place to stay in Munising is Scotty's Motel on Cedar Street. My buddy and I sought refuge there after a epic 2 1/2 day Log Slide to Munising hike back in October 2011. You can also walk to the bar right around the corner. Don't forget to stop in a Johnny Dogs and order the piggy fries!
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't be camping in Christmas, I was hoping to do it somewhere near the trail to get a quick start in the morning. I'm fairly familiar with the area, having spent about 6 months in Munising about 20 years ago, but haven't been up there in probably 8 years now. For an after hike feast, I'm actually thinking DogPatch, or even just a few pasties from Muldoon's (hoping it's still around). Scotty's might be a good place to shack up for the night before, if I remember correctly the shuttle runs from Munising itself, so that would be convenient.

Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    I'm not able to help much with the planning but I'd love to join; never been up there yet. Count me in as this gets further firmed up.

thanks

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by easy_grounder View Post
    I'm not able to help much with the planning but I'd love to join; never been up there yet. Count me in as this gets further firmed up.

thanks
    Awesome. The list I've got so far is:

punkisdead (myself)
    tapickell (maybe +1?)
    easy_grounder

• + New Posts