Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Yeah, Intimidator's trail name is kind of tongue in cheek due to his NC roots (long live Dale).
    He's good folk and now that he's with RSBTR, I expect dibs on all their new stuff as it comes out.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxpoop View Post
    Yeah, Intimidator's trail name is kind of tongue in cheek due to his NC roots (long live Dale).
    He's good folk and now that he's with RSBTR, I expect dibs on all their new stuff as it comes out.
    Yar- was happy to see he went the RBTR route as well- seemed like a good fit for him and I hope it goes well.

I called dibs already but somehow I'm guessing you've got the better claim

Bill is generally right, but I have to set/unset every night - on "Javelin" night, I had set, checked the tips, then added my TQ and pillows, apparently knocking the tip out. Sat down and LAUNCHED the pole through the side! Now, I check again, just before sitting down.

As to the fabric - if I had known Just Bill was surprised by the durability, I would have worried - as it was, the hole was just a new feature, adding increased breathabilty! It never expanded, unraveled, split or ran - just sat there. The Tenacious Tape did a good repair and has not moved, spread, come off, etc. Great stuff for covered up a rookie mistake.

Hey guys, I didn't want to create a new thread for this and figured this was the most active of the Town's End Luxury Bridge hammock threads - I'm a new owner of a double layer big guy bridge from Bill and I love it. I haven't had a chance to spend a night in it yet, I only received it earlier this week.

I got an Old Man Winter tarp from Wilderness Logics and it seems perfect for it. The 13' ridgeline covers the entire bridge and even a lot of the suspension. The tarp is not nearly as heavy as I thought it would be either.

The main question I have for those of you with the big guy bridge is how have you attached an UQ. Bill mentioned that people have had success with various quilts and I tried my AHE Jarbridge but couldn't get it quite right. Bill did include some hooks and shock cord so I'm sure I could get it with enough fiddling. Initially I was attaching the shock cord and hooks to the "cheater" cord that helps you fit the spreader bars into the sides but I didn't like the idea of anything tugging on that area lest a pole come launching out of the hammock! The Jarbridge is a 3/4 and it seems it basically only goes spreader bar to spreader bar. I just sold my HG Incubator which is a full length so I couldn't attempt that.

Just looking for any insight and preferably pictures as to how you guys and gals have faired.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Hey Steve-
    Good a place as any for it, lol. And thanks for the tip on the tarp... as a group we are all sorting out which tarps work and which don't. I wish all these things were sorted and ready to rock... but gotta start somewhere. I'm working on getting the website set up and the next project is some more setup instructions and videos to help early adopters out.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4tUiQQ-mi9wtMxgFQ
    in the folder I linked to you (posted again above) there are two short videos that show two UQ methods that the group has come up with.

I did include a small pack of a few shock cord loops, mitten clips, and binder clips.

Method 1- Labeled 'mark quilt trick' in the folder is how the first tester Mark adapted his full length UQ.
    Short story- put a prussic loop on the end of each one of the blue and red dogbones coming from the bridge to the apex (carabineer)
    Attach your primary suspension to each of those loops. You can slide the loops up and down the dog bones as needed.

Method 2- I made a short video I sent to Ray (secondmouse) showing a version of a triangle thingy type suspension. This seems to work better for partial length UQ. In this case put two prussic's on the RL, about 6-12" past the bars towards the trees. Run both loops on each end of the UQ of your primary suspension up and over to the RL.

Method 3- is a hybrid of both methods... For very broad shouldered folks doing the overhead method on the head side and Mark's method on the foot side seems to work pretty well.

Method 4- the mini binder clips give you a few options to directly address any cold spots or specific gaps. You can also try hanging a shorter quilt directly with them or placing them as needed and clipping a mini mitten hook directly to them where needed.

Hooking right to the loops at the poles is not a good spot for this bridge at this time... you need a custom cut UQ to really work there.

Learn from our good friend Johnny Gunz- make sure you don't disrupt your poles with the UQ suspension and triple check the first few times you set it up.

FWIW:
    As a MYOG guy coming from the backpacking side of things... I didn't really own anything made by any hammock cottage guys as I only own stuff I've made. So to help get this sorted out I picked up an Enlightened Equipment revolt, an Incubator and I have a UQG 12' tarp on the way. As soon as that tarp gets here my next goal is to do some videos to help make this a bit clearer.

The Revolt hung up pretty easily with Method 2 as a shorter quilt. Method 1 seems to work well for full length quilts. I haven't really messed with the Incubator much but I picked that as because of the tapered design I don't expect it to work... but also figured if I can sort that one out then the rest should be easy.

Long term a specific UQ (much like has been done with the RR) is the ideal solution and I do have two prototypes I'm working on.
    I also have two prototype pad sleeves going and that seems to be doing well.

I just got in a larger order of materials and I am planning to do about 20-40 bridges for round 4 (singles and doubles).
    I just did a small test batch that added some attachment points to the bridge so there will be 5 per side to more easily hang UQ's or a pad sleeve. Some clip on pockets and other choose your own adventure options might evolve too.

Testers on round 1 of the bug nets requested a drawcord closure at each of the RL ends... I've got that sorted out and plan to test a mini batch to confirm it. If that goes well I think the bottom entry bug net will be ready to go design wise.

I have two versions of a "gear trunk" that can be added to the dead space at the head or foot ends. It fits between the suspension and the RL and is big enough to dump in an average size pack. (fits my 40L osprey Exos easily)

So that's what's going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Hey Steve-
    Good a place as any for it, lol. And thanks for the tip on the tarp... as a group we are all sorting out which tarps work and which don't. I wish all these things were sorted and ready to rock... but gotta start somewhere. I'm working on getting the website set up and the next project is some more setup instructions and videos to help early adopters out.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apygyt54yYPwg4tUiQQ-mi9wtMxgFQ
    in the folder I linked to you (posted again above) there are two short videos that show two UQ methods that the group has come up with.

I did include a small pack of a few shock cord loops, mitten clips, and binder clips.

Method 1- Labeled 'mark quilt trick' in the folder is how the first tester Mark adapted his full length UQ.
    Short story- put a prussic loop on the end of each one of the blue and red dogbones coming from the bridge to the apex (carabineer)
    Attach your primary suspension to each of those loops. You can slide the loops up and down the dog bones as needed.

Method 2- I made a short video I sent to Ray (secondmouse) showing a version of a triangle thingy type suspension. This seems to work better for partial length UQ. In this case put two prussic's on the RL, about 6-12" past the bars towards the trees. Run both loops on each end of the UQ of your primary suspension up and over to the RL.

Method 3- is a hybrid of both methods... For very broad shouldered folks doing the overhead method on the head side and Mark's method on the foot side seems to work pretty well.

Method 4- the mini binder clips give you a few options to directly address any cold spots or specific gaps. You can also try hanging a shorter quilt directly with them or placing them as needed and clipping a mini mitten hook directly to them where needed.

Hooking right to the loops at the poles is not a good spot for this bridge at this time... you need a custom cut UQ to really work there.

Learn from our good friend Johnny Gunz- make sure you don't disrupt your poles with the UQ suspension and triple check the first few times you set it up.

FWIW:
    As a MYOG guy coming from the backpacking side of things... I didn't really own anything made by any hammock cottage guys as I only own stuff I've made. So to help get this sorted out I picked up an Enlightened Equipment revolt, an Incubator and I have a UQG 12' tarp on the way. As soon as that tarp gets here my next goal is to do some videos to help make this a bit clearer.

The Revolt hung up pretty easily with Method 2 as a shorter quilt. Method 1 seems to work well for full length quilts. I haven't really messed with the Incubator much but I picked that as because of the tapered design I don't expect it to work... but also figured if I can sort that one out then the rest should be easy.

Long term a specific UQ (much like has been done with the RR) is the ideal solution and I do have two prototypes I'm working on.
    I also have two prototype pad sleeves going and that seems to be doing well.

I just got in a larger order of materials and I am planning to do about 20-40 bridges for round 4 (singles and doubles).
    I just did a small test batch that added some attachment points to the bridge so there will be 5 per side to more easily hang UQ's or a pad sleeve. Some clip on pockets and other choose your own adventure options might evolve too.

Testers on round 1 of the bug nets requested a drawcord closure at each of the RL ends... I've got that sorted out and plan to test a mini batch to confirm it. If that goes well I think the bottom entry bug net will be ready to go design wise.

I have two versions of a "gear trunk" that can be added to the dead space at the head or foot ends. It fits between the suspension and the RL and is big enough to dump in an average size pack. (fits my 40L osprey Exos easily)

So that's what's going on...
    Awesome Bill, thanks so much for helping out and getting a community going around your hammocks. I'm going to try those methods and I'll report back how it goes! I would definitely be interested in a specifically made quilt for it as well so let me know any developments on that front.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Almost the other way around, lol!

This community got me going on this hammock and I'm just trying to keep up!

Mark pushing me to implement the original design and others chiming in while we discussed it here.
    Some great early testers who came out of the woodwork and put their butt on the line and even guys like MountainHanger who it didn't work out for.
    Then some early adopters who chipped in to buy pre-production models to keep this going financially like you have.
    And of course people like Grizz and WV who have helped all of us (and me especially) with bridge design fundamentals.

I've also had a few folks now reach out on my sewing contractor request so hoping to get that moving too so I can stay on task with designing and flushing this out.

Just got ahold of Josh at Ruta Locura too so I could find out if the expert in CF poles could help convert these sets and potentially make even the big guy a viable trail ready option. CF poles would bring the big guy under 2lbs, and the single layer Luxury model into the 20 ounce range.

Lot to do, but pretty exciting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
    Bill is generally right, but I have to set/unset every night - on "Javelin" night, I had set, checked the tips,
    An idea from someone on this site, I added 1/4 inch rubber tubing over each properly inserted pole tip - they have not moved, fallen off, etc.! Now all I do is check to make sure all four tips are on and know that I am good to go!!!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
    An idea from someone on this site, I added 1/4 inch rubber tubing over each properly inserted pole tip - they have not moved, fallen off, etc.! Now all I do is check to make sure all four tips are on and know that I am good to go!!!
    Thank Foxpoop!

how often do you get to say that, lol

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    As far as the poles popping out I made a dog bone out of shock cord, I hook one end on the tip that protrudes from one side of the hammock and stretch it over the spreader poles and hook it to the other tip that protrudes out of the hammock. Works amazing to keep the poles in place. I can even roll the hammock up with the poles still in place for quick storage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast