Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Like I said, Im not cold, and I compared it to my friends full length IQ that fits really snug and felt the same thing. Is it just a sensation that's different from sleeping on a mat and something to get used to, or are we loosing heat in some way? I tried just about every way I can think of to set this up and don't know if it's just my imagination or if I have to do something I haven't thought of. Very confused and falling asleep is weird and not very relaxing. Any ideas?
    If you're not cold, maybe it's just the sensation of hanging and not having the same pressure under you you've been used to? Maybe the thought in the back of your head that you could fall in the middle of the night?

it never occured to me it could be the sensation of hanging itself that is effecting me that way. I actually find it very relaxing, comforting even, but that doesn't mean something isn't going on in the back of my head beside that. Probably not a fear of falling because that possibility hasn't even occured to me and I have no problem changing position or leaning out etc, but something. Thanks for that idea!

Iv just been on an eight day trip and thought Id give an update on my experiences. Iv learned a lot about hammockcamping on this un, most importantly that I found it to be very comfortable and that more than anything I just had to get used to the experience if sleeping in a hammock. I now know how to be comfortable in about a dozen (slightly) different positions. It took a good deal of trying throughout those nights and two alterations to the gear itself, which I wanted te share.

First contributor was reducing the length of the ridgeline on my xlc. I noticed I didn't really get to that ideal diagonal Iv seen in videos, and figured I had to increase the sag a bit. Wrapped both ends of the ridgeline around the whoopieslings twice, resulting in quit a lot more sag (first the ridgeline hit me just above the eyes when I sat in it, now it's a couple of inches above my head) a more diagonal, flatter and ultimately more relaxing lay. Everything is less.... tense now? I can lie on my sides, shift my lay by raising/lowering the foot end and even lay on the other diagonal. There's some flappy fabric now but that's well worth the added comfort it provides me. I might try UKhammock's Woodsman which seems to be designed towards a lay like this. It also resulted in the underquilt wrapping more snug around me.

Which brings me to a second alteration I made. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get the greylock 3 to fit right everywhere, despite the better lay in the hammock. HammockGear's incubator follows the lay of your body, so following that designphilosophy I took the inner outer fabric of the second baffle on the left side (I sleep head left feet right) where the back of my knee is and just pulled that fabric a couple of inches up over the main suspension, than tied a string around it. Now the UQ wraps around my buttocks and meets the whole of my legs.

As third kind of alteration on colder nights, I wore the Marmot dryclime hoody, which is an amazing jacket allready, but also makes it so I don't notice it when even heavy winds rob the UQ of it's warmth. That is what I was feeling earlier I think. The greylock is great, bit not very windproof and even slight drafts were noticeable to me simply because it robbed little bits of warmth for a second or two. This softshell really tied everything together. 5 out of 7 nights were very comfortable. 2 of which without wearing anything but some boxers.

Having said that, I don't know if Ill stick with the greylock. I shift positions a lot and this partial underquilt business just doesn't stack with that. I have to be too deliberate about the way I shift around. Most probably there's an incubator in my future, with a thicker outer fabric to help against the wind.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    One simple trick to try that Peter Pan showed me is to put a prusik knot on the quilt suspension line at each of the four corners of the Greylock and tie them to the tab at each corner. This enables you to set the quilt where you want it and lock it with the knot. Then when you want to move it squeeze the not and slide it to your new desired location.

I was not a fan of partial length quilts until I learned this trick. Now I use one all the time.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Images
    Try a UQP, it might be the cheap, simple fix you are looking for.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Lollygagging View Post
    it never occured to me it could be the sensation of hanging itself that is effecting me that way. I actually find it very relaxing, comforting even, but that doesn't mean something isn't going on in the back of my head beside that. Probably not a fear of falling because that possibility hasn't even occured to me and I have no problem changing position or leaning out etc, but something. Thanks for that idea!
    This is actually an issue I had. I wasn't cold, and my 10° quilt was keeping plenty of heat in but my butt and back still "felt" cold...I attributed it to the new sensation of hanging.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    As GadgetUk alluded to above...try a Under Quilt Protector, improvised,
    DIY or bought.
    Even a slight breeze will try to rob some your stored body heat from your quilt.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Yes the UQP is defintely something I have been thinking about. Will probably make my own but there's this canadian cottage vendor "little big hammock" or something adorable along that line I just really want to purchase from.

DGrav, I don't have the knots buy I do have a secondary suspension ala hammockgear going, with two linelocks at the zipperside of the xlc. Works great.

Elliot, indeed; the newness of hanging like that is just a bit weird, as well as comforting. Defintely takes some getting used to. For some,my hiking buddy had no problems adjusting.

I have to admit, I looking into some tenting gear again as well. There's some windy area's in northern europe we want to see and well, there's scarsely a tree there There's poles to setup the hammock without trees (shug reviewed such a pole) but I have to say that ones the wind starts taking up, that tarp is taking a beating. Don't know if it will take 40+mph winds

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12