Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    The Ridgerunner has 4 corner buckles : see 2:10.

Yar- but the Dogbone side is on an even radius (half circle). So regardless of the angle you're coming off them the stress/abrasion should be the same.
    Unless you're doing something extreme you're only going to be about 5-10 degree difference so I don't see that being a problem or any more abrasion than normal.

"I am more worried at abrasion on the metal tips of the poles, since the hardware there larksheaded to the dogbones is coming at a steeper angle with the pole tip."

The pole tips thing is throwing me off and not being familiar with carbon poles maybe that's what I'm missing? Carbon is a larger diameter pole and you think that the new angle will cause them to interfere with each other?

If you're thinking that the metal bridge clip itself will now be at a narrower angle (not sitting squarely on the pole) I can't really comment.
    I would think that the forces would be mostly equal still- so the pole should force the metal clip flat to itself- but I'm not sure. It could very well be torqued enough that it only bears on the dogbone side of the metal clip.

On an aluminum pole- the pole tip does a good job transferring forces to the pole shaft and I'd say not to worry about it. I know that can be an issue with carbon poles but I don't know enough about them to say.

To be honest- I used hardware I made on only 2 or 3 of my end bar bridges but after that I learned the trick about just larks heading the dogbone right to the webbing loop (no hardware) so the end bar bridges I built went around that issue.
    It looks like there is enough slack in the webbing loops that you could attempt to bi-pass the hardware itself without having to remove it?
    I'm not sure if that would put the bar too close to the end caps but that would be the work around... when you seat the poles directly in the dogbone then you get full load bearing contact at any angle.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Yes, you summed up the problems and possible solutions well. I'll have to test all this when I will have a chance. I confirm the metal bridge clip itself now being at a narrower angle doesn't sit squarely on the pole, and that is what I am worried about in the long run. Seems to rub the pole tip (which is metal, not carbon, I think), and leave a mark.
    I'll see if there is a way to skip this hardware.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    If I'm understanding correctly, you could probably file a radius (at the appropriate angle) in the aluminum holes so that the stress is not placed on the hole edges and therefore the pole tips.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Yes, you summed up the problems and possible solutions well. I'll have to test all this when I will have a chance. I confirm the metal bridge clip itself now being at a narrower angle doesn't sit squarely on the pole, and that is what I am worried about in the long run. Seems to rub the pole tip (which is metal, not carbon, I think), and leave a mark.
    I'll see if there is a way to skip this hardware.

In theory the pole tip is a distribution member (spreads the load) but if you're getting enough pressure to leave a mark or divot in the pole tips... That concern is valid.
    I'm not well versed enough on Carbon but in know that any uneven loading can cause fracturing/fraying.

I would bypass the hardware and just larkshead directly to the webbing. The pole tip prevents the suspension from crushing out the webbing and is flexible enough to transfer the load evenly on the pole tips.
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Apygyt54yYPwrXdZdhgGQE_2im1l

This is a combo design from earlier recessed bar style bridges- but the concept is the same.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Apygyt54yYPwrUZxzoAsLAT2cE5f

My early hardware... trying to make a lighter version of something Grizz came up with.
    on the plus side with this... it's just a washer from a hardware store and I did bend a set of them at one point thinking it needed to be square/curved... just a thought if you end up having to make one up.

But once someone pointed out the lightest hardware I could make was none at all... that was the end of my hardware days, lol.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12