DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    That appears to be an opinion piece with no supporting information. They mention recent testing, but offer no links to test results.

Ive seen a video, and I wish I could find it, where a locked brummel splice was pulled apart without the tail being buried and it failed at half the average strength of the line. It failed by the tails braid coming undone, not breaking.

And if one makes a locked brummel splice according to specs, the tail wont be "to short." If one strays from the specs.... Thats no fault of anyone but the one doing it.

This....

However, if the buried tail is too short on a locked Brummel, the whole load can come off the ‘knot like’ locking portion and it will break at much lower than expected load. Recent testing indicates the buried tail must be 72 times the diameter of the line, which is longer than previously recommended and typically used in practice.
    Doesnt make sense to me. How will the load come off the "knot like" portion? And if the splice is done correctly, it wont be to short.

Id like to see the results of their testing, if you have it.

And I have yet to see a locked brummel splice fail using a 2 fid bury. Not even on a test bed. Not saying it can not happen, just that i have not witnessed it.

Seriously... Id like to see some supporting information to back up the article you posted. Some googling has shown me its been posted on numerous boating forums and not one person has asked to see supporting evidence.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    If one strays from the specs.... Thats no fault of anyone but the one doing it.

Excellent advice in any project in this DIY community. Lots of good info on this forum. How each person executes the info is thier responsibility, be it sewing, fabric usage, knots, what have you.

Seriously... Id like to see some supporting information to back up the article you posted. Some googling has shown me its been posted on numerous boating forums and not one person has asked to see supporting evidence.
    Viral rumor??
    I've seen it happen now and then. Somebody says something on one forum, then it gets entered into another forum (slightly mis-translated), and then to another...
    Reminds of that campfire game "telephone", where someone whispers a story into the ear of the person next to them, then passes the info he heard to the next guy, and so on. By the time the story goes full circle, the story has changed, as have the facts.
    Just because someone said it on the Net, don't make it true.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    DemostiX,
    What is your deal man. If you don't like the loop don't use it. Give Opie a break, he didn't invent Amsteel and he certainly isn't forcing anyone to make loops. We are all grown ups here. I have made every splice on this site and I can tell you I have yet to have one she any sign of failing.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

I read this whole thread & I still most have missed something. 7/64 amsteel taper the ends or not?
    Thanks

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I read this whole thread & I still most have missed something. 7/64 amsteel taper the ends or not?
    Thanks
    It's not neccessary, but will make it much easier to use if you taper the ends. Instead of pulling 6 strands like with 1/8 only pull 4 strands at most.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thanks
    Its recommended by the rope manufacturer. Testing shows the weak point being where the rope steps down at the buried tail. Tapering allows for a smoother transition, resulting in a stronger loop.

In one of the pics in Post #1, (3rd from the end) Opie mentions, "don't forget the taper".
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    In one of the pics in Post #1, (3rd from the end) Opie mentions, "don't forget the taper".
    I did see that but thought I read somewhere else in this thread that there was no need to taper 7/64. As a rule I will just taper all of them. I guess it won't hurt anything & will be good practice. Thanks again

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Tapering makes it look much nicer as well

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

I did see that but thought I read somewhere else in this thread that there was no need to taper 7/64. As a rule I will just taper all of them. I guess it won't hurt anything & will be good practice. Thanks again
    Please dont forget to taper.

The only time I ever suggest not tapering is for tarp lines or an ASR using the smaller diameter lines. For anything holding your weight, please follow the proper splicing procedure.

wire size

Probably been beaten to death already but heres my 2 cents... I use the floral wire from Joannes. I have tow small rolls of it, about a 24 and 26 size or abouts. Very cheap and easy to use. If it gets bent too much or kinky, just throw it away at the price of the stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast