DIY 11' Whoopie Ridgeline
    Tarp
    DIY 11' with doors
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Tarp tie out reinforcements for 1.1oz silpoly

Hey folks. I'm in the middle of my third tarp build and am using 1.1oz silpoly this time. I haven't worked with this material before however I have heard from RSBTR, and others, to use the same 1.1oz silpoly for reinforcements. I know I need to use 100% silicone seam sealer to 'glue' the corner reinforcements on but my question is if I need to sew them as well. I have read of people on here doing this OR sewing them on and I'm wondering if I should combine the two techniques or if the glue alone works and holds up fine? Anyone have experience and possibly field testing to answer this question?
    Thanks-Zach

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've not used silpoly, but when I make my silnylon tarps I only see the reinforcements. I also use a different material - 1.9 oz ripstop (hammock material) for strength.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I don't think combining will help much. The .9oz membrane you have to laminate/glue. The 1.1 oz you can sew. I've sewn all three of mine, and I've used both uncoated 1.1 oz ripstop, and on others HyperD 300. Both have been fine. The 1.1 oz reinforcements have stood up to some pretty gnarly winds.

Glueing and sewing seems overkill. Theoretically blue should be stronger, since the entire surface area of the patch is reinforced. This means forces have a larger are to be distributed on, vs sewing where it's only reinforced along the stitch lines. Sewing is fast we, since you don't need to wait on cure time.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    +1 I don't even reinforce my 1.1 silpoly corners, I just use longer grosgrain ribbon looped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    HH EUL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY WASM
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Here is my reply yesterday on the Membrane thread similar subject:

"I recently made an asymmetric tarp from 1.1 oz. silpoly XL and reinforced the corners with the same material following RBTR's recommendations except that I used 6" radius patches for the ridge line. I also used a 3/4" strip of the same material to reinforce the entire ridge line itself on the under side. I used GE Silicone II to cement the reinforcements in place. I just put a little of the silicone on the patch and spread it out thin with a putty knife, turned it over and places it and then used the putty knife to force out any excess along with any bubbles. It ain't real purty but it sure seems effective! I haven't had it in a real storm yet, but I'm pretty confident that it will hold up just fine. "

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    I just received my 1.1 silpoloy XL and am having some of the same questions.

For my .9 Membrane PU hex tarp, bonding the radial reinforcements to the tieouts and then reinforcing the rolled hem with a short (~6 inch) length of grosgrain worked fantastic. But that was .9 membrane and the seam grip created a bond between the 2 pieces of PU coated fabric.

will Silnet generate the same type of bond between the 1.1 silpoly tarp and reinforcements of the same fabric?

this is a pic of the .9 Membrane tieout with the radial reinforcement and grosgrain.
    tarp7.JPG
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter_Ken View Post
    this is a pic of the .9 Membrane tieout with the radial reinforcement and grosgrain.
    tarp7.JPG
    OOC, is that a pack hook mounted in tandem with a 1/2" Beastee Dee on that tie-out?

Also, IIRC, RBTR Silpoly XL is coated with a different process on each surface, hence its distinct "right" and "wrong" sides, unlike standard RBTR 1.1 oz silpoly, which is silicone only and looks identical on both sides. You may want to verify the correct bonding agents to use JIC as the methods may be different for these two fabrics.

Thread works on both though...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-15-2017 at 08:28.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    To convince you, take a small piece of your silpoly and hem the sides (simulating a corner). Then, sew the reinforcement and gros grain. Now, seam rip your work and look at it with a light source behind it. See how the fabric was cut by the multiple holes, scary.

I always glue my reinforcements on silpoly with Permatex Silicone Windshiel Sealant, including the pull outs. It is more labor intensive, but it's my tarp and my time. After applying the reinforcement, I sandwich it between two pieces of very smooth plywood covered with waxed paper (both sides). I apply a light weight and leave it overnight. Then I carefully sew the gros grain loops.

I never had a failure, even with the pull outs that I never sew.

You can glue silpoy on silpoly, but it will take more time to cure because both sides will be impermeable to air. I often use untreated ripstop for the reinforcements. After sandwiching between smooth plywood pieces covered with waxed paper, the siicone will completely impregnate the ripstop and create a very smooth and thin surface.

Have fun with it.
    Last edited by HammockCanoe; 05-15-2017 at 09:11.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Yes, I have used both a Beastee Dee and a packhook on the tarp tieouts.

The backhook is used as an anchor point for my hammock pullouts. It was an experiment to see how well it would work and thereby reduce the number of stakes required and reduce a little weight.

Works great as there is not a whole lot of tension from the shock cord hammock pullouts transferred to tarp.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter_Ken View Post
    Yes, I have used both a Beastee Dee and a packhook on the tarp tieouts.

The backhook is used as an anchor point for my hammock pullouts. It was an experiment to see how well it would work and thereby reduce the number of stakes required and reduce a little weight.

Works great as there is not a whole lot of tension from the shock cord hammock pullouts transferred to tarp.
    Brilliant, Ken. You've given me yet another idea. Thanks.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast