Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Stock + rap rings
    Just depends where you go really. Towns and cities are fine, just wet grassy countryside (I suppose that's every where else)

Plenty of sprays, Smidge is quite good. Skin so soft works for some folks. if it's bad just keep walking and eating at the same time!!!!!!!

A really good malt whisky works well in the evening

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wha burst the ba View Post
    Just depends where you go really. Towns and cities are fine, just wet grassy countryside (I suppose that's every where else)

Plenty of sprays, Smidge is quite good. Skin so soft works for some folks. if it's bad just keep walking and eating at the same time!!!!!!!

A really good malt whisky works well in the evening
    Thanks Wha

Would you sleep with no physical barrier between you and midges if you are using Smidge or Skin So Soft (aka DEET)?

Have you used permethrin?

(Unfortunately I can't walk and eat while sleeping!)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ
    Suspension
    Stock + rap rings
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    Thanks Wha

Would you sleep with no physical barrier between you and midges if you are using Smidge or Skin So Soft (aka DEET)?

Have you used permethrin?

(Unfortunately I can't walk and eat while sleeping!)
    No and No!!! Been trying to get out without a bug net but not managed. Usually go up Aviemore way and the blighters can get you. Was reading the permethrin threads so might give it a go. West coast is notoriously worse than elsewhere.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    I'm planning a Lands End to John O Groats bike ride next year.... anyone used permethrin around midges?
    Midges are no problem as long as you keep moving, stay away from damp, shady areas, rivers and .... trees... ah, I see the issue!
    Joking aside, it's a manageable risk. The only extra gear needed is a Fronkey bugnet and a headnet, you can make both from a few yards of noseeum, very easily and cheaply (see the OP). I took thin cotton gloves too, but never used them.
    I used Permethrin on my bugnet, headnet and clothes. But Permethrin is an insecticide, not a deterrent... It kills them, but doesn't put them off... and midges seem to have the blatant disregard for personal safety that is typical of many other Scottish residents . My bugnet had the bodies of unfortunate midges on it in the morning.
    I think that Permethrin has its place, stops the blighters crawling in your clothing (and deer ticks too), but you need to keep them off you exposed skin too, Permethrin won't help you there. You will need some other chemical warfare (combined with a headnet). I used DEET, because I have gallons of it (for the missus's horse), but Smidge, Autan and others will do.
    All that said, we were quite lucky, and had enough of a breeze to ameliorate the problem. Midges are not strong flyers. Also, they are quite picky about their ideal conditions they need high humidity, still air, and temperatures between 10 - 20°C (50 - 70°F).
    So, with careful choices of campsite you can minimise the threat. Set up on the windward edge of a wood, on higher ground, away from water.

--
    Gadget

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12