DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

GR223 Normandy France Coast Hike

Our 25 anniversary is coming up in a few years. Wanting to go see France. A few days in Paris and a few days in Normandy.

I would like to see the Normandy Beach landing sites and do some backpacking. From what I could find the GR223 runs the coastline. I'm having a tough time finding good info on it.

Can I hike from town to town and sleep in hostels?

Any campsites available for hammocks?

Should I even consider bringing my hammock?

Something about backpacking the French countryside sounds really fun. Maybe it's the wine I'm looking forward to. The terrain looks fairly easy. Maybe hike 10-15 miles a day. 5 days. Just see whatever comes up.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Not sure you will find many forests on that trail. The coast side is rather bare. You should look at it in detail on Google Earth, but typically, there's no tree on the cliffs toping the ocean or on beaches.
    Maybe is it possible to plan accordingly your daily hikes if you spot woods on the map in advance not too far out from the coast. A tent would be much easier to pitch anywhere on that trail, though. Certainly with great views over the ocean.

The landscape is rough and wild and beautiful. St Vaast is a nice town where you can eat good oysters and has some old XVIIth century remnants. This is an amazing Napoleonic fort I slept in. You should try to book (way in advance), it is not very expensive.

On the west coast side, you can reach Guernesey, a beautiful tiny English island, once home of exiled Victor Hugo, from the small harbour of Dielette (less than 2 hours with the ferry, I think). There, I recommend you visit Victor Hugo's house, and stay at the Hotel Blue Horizon, located in the wildest and most beautiful coastline of the island (once painted by Renoir). Breakfasts in this hotel are amazing. It is worth staying there for two nights, the time to tour the island, preferably by bike. You can rent one in St Pierre port harbour, where you get with the ferry from Dielette-Carteret.

5 days is pretty short to do all this by foot, though. If you go by car, you should also visit Rouen, Saint Germain de Livet, Bayeux (see the tapestry), Balleroy (built by the best French architect ever), and possibly Le Mont St Michel, if you have time.

That is what I would recommend if you go there only for 5 days, because although the coast is gorgeous for a walk, it would be rather monotonous to do it all on foot. You'd better rent a car in Paris and just do a couple of walks along the way. Public transport is not convenient to access the various sites.

But, are you planning this years in advance ?
    Last edited by Rouskof; 05-29-2017 at 13:32.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post
    Not sure you will find many forests on that trail. The coast side is rather bare. You should look at it in detail on Google Earth, but typically, there's no tree on the cliffs toping the ocean or on beaches.
    Maybe is it possible to plan accordingly your daily hikes if you spot woods on the map in advance not too far out from the coast. A tent would be much easier to pitch anywhere on that trail, though. Certainly with great views over the ocean.

The landscape is rough and wild and beautiful. St Vaast is a nice town where you can eat good oysters and has some old XVIIth century remnants. This is an amazing Napoleonic fort I slept in. You should try to book (way in advance), it is not very expensive.

On the west coast side, you can reach Guernesey, a beautiful tiny English island, once home of exiled Victor Hugo, from the small harbour of Dielette (less than 2 hours with the ferry, I think). There, I recommend you visit Victor Hugo's house, and stay at the Hotel Blue Horizon, located in the wildest and most beautiful coastline of the island (once painted by Renoir). Breakfasts in this hotel are amazing. It is worth staying there for two nights, the time to tour the island, preferably by bike. You can rent one in St Pierre port harbour, where you get with the ferry from Dielette-Carteret.

5 days is pretty short to do all this by foot, though. If you go by car, you should also visit Rouen, Saint Germain de Livet, Bayeux (see the tapestry), Balleroy (built by the best French architect ever), and possibly Le Mont St Michel, if you have time.

That is what I would recommend if you go there only for 5 days, because although the coast is gorgeous for a walk, it would be rather monotonous to do it all on foot. You'd better rent a car in Paris and just do a couple of walks along the way. Public transport is not convenient to access the various sites.

But, are you planning this years in advance ?
    Yes a few years out. I keep a notebook for future travels/hikes I want to see. Just starting to take notes now.

I'm not dead set on hiking it all or how many days I may have. I know one trip I'll never see it all. Hiking it is just my way of doing things a little different than most tourist. I'm not opposed to hiking from inn to inn also.

The Mrs would likely be in a bed and breakfast or VRBO while I hike lol.

That was great information. Thanks so much.

• + New Posts