"Going-to-ground Insurance"

My current hanging setup involves using a Big Agnes bag with a Thermarest Prolite pad through the back. It works pretty well, but over the next year or so I'm thinking of saving up for an topquilt and underquilt to make things even more comfortable and lightweight, since I am interested in doing more hiking, and have bad knees.

My question for the veteran lightweight hikers: What, if anything do you carry as "Going-to-ground Insurance" in case of inadequate hanging, specifically for bottom insulation?

I'm using a Clark Mark 2, which effectively comes with its own groundsheet, and until now the Thermarest doubled as my backup ground insulation. I was thinking that bringing a lightweight space blanket in my kit might do the trick -- lay it out flat on the inside of the Mark 2, then double up the underquilt on top of the space blanket, and lay on that with my topquilt.

I know I can always just carry the Thermarest as a backup plan, but it's a pound and a half, so if I could cut that weight altogether my knees would be a lot happier.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I'd have to say that if you're interested in doing more hiking, then keep hiking until you find a spot with two trees! I'll carry a little extra weight to make sure my suspension will reach trees that are farther apart than ideal, but I'm not willing to carry extra weight in the form of a ground dwelling shelter setup. To my mind, that's like being uncomfortable in case I need to make myself even more uncomfortable!

I don't need acres of flat ground for tents, so I don't scout possible campsites based on flatness. I make sure I'm not looking to camp above treeline or at the bottom of a lake, but to be honest I've had a harder time finding adequate water sources near campsites than adequate trees.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

I aways carry a closed cell foam pad. It is lightweight, multil-purpose and will serve as ground insulation and padding should I need to ground pound.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    What, if anything do you carry as "Going-to-ground Insurance" in case of inadequate hanging, specifically for bottom insulation?
    I carry a cut down z lite sol that fits nicely as a back support for my gossemar gear gorilla pack. It doubles as an elevated sit pad and ground matt.

Hammock
    Dutchwear
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Katabatic w/LLG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    About 2 ounces of Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad (19"X30") and the sitpad from my GG Mariposa.
    Plan is if this horror ever happens is to put the pads, pack liner (garbage bag) with any extra clothes in it, and empty backpack on the ground, use the hammock body or bug net as a bivy as the next layer, put the underquilt down next, and take sleeping pills. Get moving again as early as possible after a handful of Advil and find some trees to take a nap in.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    After many trips with unused "go to ground" gear, I've learned that its just luxury items for the unsettled mind. However, I do own and sometimes take a short Klymit pad that weighs 10oz and is 25" wide. Hey, its as light as the lightest short summer UQ and more reliable in wind. In colder weather, I sometimes take a piece of reflectix as pad to put in between hammock layers. On longer trips, I might be inclined to take either as a ground backup.

But really, there are truly few places where you can't find a place to hang, though, sometimes it more dependent on where some of your buddies want to place their tent. Another great reason to hike solo!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts