Hammock
    Dutch 11ft. Netless
    Tarp
    HG CF/WBSF
    Insulation
    HG 0 Incub./Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Beatle Bug
    I button down the hatch, or tarp if you will, tight and low, deploy active door use...and use the UQP by 2QZQ. Never had a dirty underquilt yet. .
    "These are the voices which we hear in solitude, but they grow faint and inaudible as we enter the world. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of everyone of it's members." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've been hammock camping for seven years and never had splatter on my UQ, even with overnight gully-washers of up to five inches of rain. Then again, my UQ/hammock is usually at least 20 inches off the ground and I use a 4-season tarp, so maybe that's why it's a non-issue for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    I've had splatter once. Over a peagravel tent site. Water was pooling so the rain rolling off my tarp hitting the standing water is what allowed the splatter. My tarp was set kinda high, but rain was not in the forecast. Never happened on a back country trip where the ground / grass can soak it up.
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    ahh.. maybe I will bring a step ladder to hang high... ha

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    When this happens just let it dry and dust it off as it doesn't hurt for this to happen on an infrequent basis.

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images
    Every time I've hung here in the UK I've been in pretty dense woodland where I'm more or less protected from all but the strongest of wind. Rainfall tends to be more drips off the trees than any driving rain but is always swallowed up by the earth. I've never had any splashing and have always been dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living, learning, and loving both.

Images
    I've only had this issue once. Even when the tarp (a Winter Palace) is in porch mode, I'm completely fine.

The exception was in Red River Gorge near one of the parking areas. The spot I chose to hang looked like someone had raked the leaf litter away to the loam which was nice and soft to walk on.

It rained hard and it caused bits of loam to spatter all over everything under my tarp. I could look at the hammock from the inside and see droplets it the fabric and wet it out.

Fortunately, it was warm enough that it wasn't an issue, just messy and annoying.

I could see this really ruining hammocking for someone if it was their first experience.

I'd certainly like to avoid it in the future, but I suspect site selection is the primary factor.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yea, my backyard setup area is fairly hard packed ground. Very little soaking ground there. Sometimes one doesnt have setup options, even in the woods. Thanks for all the great replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG 12' Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Sniveler/MtW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie cushions

Makeshift solution

I've had this issue when using my standard hex tarp in windy rain storms. To prevent the situation, I lay several sticks and limbs around the perimeter of the tarp between the bottom edge and the ground (approx. 8-12" depending on the setup). This forms a skeleton that I then cover with leaves. This blocks most of the splattering rain and wind, depending on how much time you spend. When I pack up, I disperse the leaves and limbs in order to LNT.

Hello all,

I had my first rain storm in a hammock this weekend at Roan MTN on the AT this weekend. My good luck ran out. After my first 30-ish nights in a hammock were all dry. I had a LOT of Dirty splatter on my Pack and under quilt. (very heavy rain) Reading this post helps, thank you. Here is what I think I did wrong. Please give a rookie any additional advice you have.

1. I was only about 10 - 15 inches off the ground (hang higher when heavy rain comes)
    2. my site was 1/2 dirt & 1/2 grass (I need better site selection)
    3. My tarp was low and very tight (this one I am not sure on. If you are expecting heavy rain you want the tarp tight to the hammock correct?)
    4. We use the ENO Pro Fly which measures 10' 6" x 6' 4" (a wider tarp helps correct)

Thanks for any advice and knowledge share for a rookie.

Jon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast