Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hexon vs Robic for ultralight backpacker.

I wish to make a ultralight hammock. Does anyone have and input as the merit of

Hexon 1.0 From Dutch
    vs
    1.0 Robic From Ripstop by the Roll

I have a 1.0 Robic hammock with probably 8-10 hangs on it that I like a lot, especially the extra width. Some have had issues with failures, I have not so far. I am 5'10", 175#.

I haven't tried Hexon 1.0, but it seems to get really good reviews here.

RSBTR seems to be coming out with a Robic 1.0 replacement imminently, might be worth waiting for: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-0-Replacement
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I absolutely love my Hexon 1.0 DIY. Haven't tried Robic. Both are well loved. Both come from trusted vendors.

There are threads on this, and from what I recall the Robic has more stretch. Can be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymenna78734 View Post
    I wish to make a ultralight hammock. Does anyone have and input as the merit of...
    I have built several DIY hammocks from both fabrics, and both are great.

Hexon has an unbelievably soft and luxurious finish. ROBIC is surprisingly robust (i.e., strong and abrasion-resistant for such a lightweight fabric.

If you like compliant hammocks, the Hexon is the definite choice, as it demonstrates some give as well as strength. If you prefer firmer, supportive hammocks (especially if you're over 200 pounds), I'd say ROBIC is the better option.

(FWIW IMHO the ROBIC is marginally easier to sew...)
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-26-2017 at 09:25.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Surprised no one has mentioned the width difference. Robic 1.0 is sold at a "wide" 68" width vs 60" for the Hexon 1.0

I have hammocks in both fabrics and I like the feel of both. I've discovered I don't like wide hammocks so a future Robic 1.0 for me would have to be trimmed down to "normal" width.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    How much do you weigh?

Hexon compares to HyperD 1.0 (175lbs or so)
    Robic is it's own thing but stronger. (200 lbs or so) As mentioned the hybrid version (I assume) is coming and will likely blow all three out of the running unless you're really pushing the grams.

If you weigh too much- the fabric won't necessarily snap- but it is razor drum tight- and just because a fabric can hold more doesn't mean it should. If you blow up a balloon a little- you can push your finger all the way though it. If you blow up a balloon as full as you can, your fingernail will pop it. I think that's all that happened with the Robic 1.0 "Failures".

You get in the 220 range and you probably want to move past the 1.0 fabrics. HyperD 1.6 is a very nice fabric and comes in XL also.

The main thing you can do if you're really pushing is sort out what minimum size hammock you can use. I like a short wide (10' XL) to save a little yardage. I've made some 4'x9' for some folks but few like that. Some like length over width.
    So a 4x9 is 4.1 yards of fabric
    A 5x11 is about 6 yards but so is a 5.5' x 10'

But... the shorter your hammock... the shorter your RL, UQ suspension, tarp, net, and on and on.
    So I prefer the shortest possible hammock I can get and the XL fabrics help with that IMO. The other extreme- narrow and long- can work too.

I have a membrane 10 hammock... that's pretty light. I didn't like the Robic .7 (7d) hammock I made at all. Not the right fabric for that trick.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit, SBP
    Tarp
    bushcraftUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    HG econ 30*
    Suspension
    straps w/ whoopies
    Sooo... I just purchased the Robic 1.0 XL for a hammock project and my weight goes from 210 to 230 . Do you hangers feel that this will hold or is this going to become a tarp project instead ?

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hanging tough View Post
    Sooo... I just purchased the Robic 1.0 XL for a hammock project and my weight goes from 210 to 230 . Do you hangers feel that this will hold or is this going to become a tarp project instead ?
    I fluctuate in the same weight range and have not had issues with my Robic 1.0.

Besides, it wouldn't make a very good tarp anyway. It's breathable.

Images
    I've seen a robic hammock tear in a few spots from the weight of a 160lb guy after a few nights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I've seen a robic hammock tear in a few spots from the weight of a 160lb guy after a few nights.
    A few spots? Interesting. What were the points of failure? This seems counterintuitive, because once the hammock starts to tear in a linear fashion at this first weak spot you would expect that tear to proliferate rather than allow the force to cause another tear in a different area. The possible exception might be at the seams of the sewn end channels, where stitch elongation could occur in a couple of spots simultaneously, but the actual point of first failure is usually on or near the longitudinal centerline of the hammock...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast