DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing

Wink MN Trip Report = Stealth Hammocking Adventure

Hey guys! Over here in MN the weather is fantastic and the mosquitoes aren't yet in full force. I wanted to get out on a hammocking trip since I had the night off last Wednesday but I had baby duty the next morning. So instead of wasting the night sitting around the house I decided to go urban stealth camping.

I brought a small list of climbing gear and made a full adventure of it. I did not want to sleep near the ground since we have a lot of homeless drunk guys that wander the streets at night. Waking up with some drunk dude trying to crawl into my hammock is something that I wasn't willing to risk. So I hung my hammock about 30' high between two conifers. I didn't bring a tarp because the forecast said 0% chance of rain and worst case scenario I would have to walk home in the rain.

To my surprise I was able to get the "I am out in the forest" feeling due to the ponds surrounding my campsite which were filled with night creatures that did a great job of drowning out the rest of the city noises. It was a short and sweet trip. I will post up the gear list soon for anyone who wants to know what a climb like this requires. If you are interested in seeing more here is the video below:

v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

MN Trip Report = Stealth Hammocking Adventure

Be safe, brave hammock friend. I'm scared of heights--I'da probably been 6 foot 2 if not for my fear of heights. It looks like--after you are set up--if one tree snapped, the other tree would hold you securely until you could climb down. Refreshing, have you ever had a tree snap while you were up there? And were you able to remain aloft without falling?
    There have been stories of hammock campers (near ground level) being struck by falling trees. I wondered about this, since it seems to me that the higher up a tree you go--the less it takes to pull one tree over onto the other?!?!?
    Good luck and great video
    Old Phantom-scared of his own shadow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    it seems to me that the higher up a tree you go--the less it takes to pull one tree over onto the other?!?!?

You are correct. I was yelled at by an arborist on this forum for doing it in my early days of tree camping. For the past 4 years I stopped hanging between trees and used a bathammock which is anchored above the hammock at a single point. I thought it my duty to teach people to tree camp in the safest manner.

But then on some arborist forums I talked to a well respected arborist about the photos of him hanging multiple people between 2 specific trees up to a height of ~50 feet. After that encounter I realized I am smart enough to not hang in a dead tree or in a tree that isnt strong enough to hammock in. I also stopped caring about teaching the wrong way because if I am dumb enough to do it there are surely other people who are dumb enough to do it no matter what I say.

Some people will always think treecamping is too risky just like some people will always think that hiking out into a forest and sleeping in a hammock for the night is too risky.
    Last edited by Refreshing; 06-01-2017 at 11:16.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Images
    I love it! great pics video.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I don't worry about a tree snapping--another tree will grow up right past it. I hope you can be safe and continue to have fun and share your fun with the vertically challenged!! An arborist would know lots more about trees than me. Good luck, cool video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the bleep DID you get your body into that hammock? I watched the video to find out, and that part was not in it.
    Being older and not so mobile, I can't get out of my hammock if I can't get my feet on the floor.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That looks like a blast but not for me. I get dizzy if I'm standing on a stool and look up.

Stay safe.

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Very entertaining, great vid!! Definitely not for this old man though. One question, if you did bring your tarp, how would you guy it out?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post

Hey guys! Over here in MN the weather is fantastic and the mosquitoes aren't yet in full force. I wanted to get out on a hammocking trip since I had the night off last Wednesday but I had baby duty the next morning. So instead of wasting the night sitting around the house I decided to go urban stealth camping.

I brought a small list of climbing gear and made a full adventure of it. I did not want to sleep near the ground since we have a lot of homeless drunk guys that wander the streets at night. Waking up with some drunk dude trying to crawl into my hammock is something that I wasn't willing to risk. So I hung my hammock about 30' high between two conifers. I didn't bring a tarp because the forecast said 0% chance of rain and worst case scenario I would have to walk home in the rain.

To my surprise I was able to get the "I am out in the forest" feeling due to the ponds surrounding my campsite which were filled with night creatures that did a great job of drowning out the rest of the city noises. It was a short and sweet trip. I will post up the gear list soon for anyone who wants to know what a climb like this requires. If you are interested in seeing more here is the video below:

Refreshing,

very cool video! Great timing for me as I have been reading up on recreational tree climbing and working on meeting some people in my area that do it that I can learn from as I don't have any climbing experience.
    The thought of hammock camping that high is a scary and exhilarating thought, the kind of thing I want to try now!
    I noticed in other videos you were not using a GE hammock. Do you prefer it to your other hammocks and porta-ledges for canopy camping?
    Thanks for the inspiration and all of the info on your site. If you ever are in Portland, Or let me know (we have big trees! )

• + New Posts