Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images

AHE Chain Link and Cinch Buckle Review

While gathering together components for a diy hammock recently, I decided to give Arrowhead Equipment a try for my suspension. I ordered a set of Chain Links in dark grey, and a set of cinch buckles. I thought I'd share my impressions...

Paul offers excellent customer service. He was quick and helpful with my questions and processing my order.

It was great to give AHE's cinch buckles a try. I have been using standard cinch buckles from OnRope1, and wanted to see how these would compare.

Although the AHE cinch buckles are somewhat larger, I found the weight to actually be slightly less on my scale than the OnRope1 buckles. A set of two weighed in at 1.875 oz., vs. 2oz. for a set of OnRope1 buckles. They can accomodate webbing that is slightly wider than standard 1" webbing (up to 1.25").

The buckles have some unique characteristics worth mentioning...

First, they have a unique finish on them. They are polished in such a way that they are extremely smooth, and, they are also dull rather than shiny, which adds to the stealth factor of them.

The buckle part has slightly raised 'teeth' on it, which really helps to get a good grip on the webbing straps without causing any damage. While testing this out, I purposely made my webbing go through the buckle slightly crooked, and the teeth still did their job. I had my husband try out the hammock several times to see if there would be any change in the way the buckle behaved. He weighs significantly more than I do, and there was no slippage whatsoever. I feel confident enough to forego any backup slip on my webbing.

There is a narrow end for attaching suspension rope, which makes adding the rope very simple with a quick girth, rather than a prusik.

One other thing worth mentioning (though perhaps odd to some that I would add this)... they are a lot quieter! The metallic 'ting' is muted compared to the OnRope buckles.

Paul did a fantastic job on the Chain Links. They are very nicely put together and very sturdy! I find them to be a good length for my Larks head onto my hammock ends, which I double around. Amsteel has a smooth and slipperyish finish, and I find that by wrapping around twice, it helps to keep things in place as well as distributes the pressure on the hammock fabric to a wider area. The very slight bulk of the Chain Link spiced area was not a hinderance at all when installing the Chain Links to the hammock ends or cinch buckles.

Due to the way the Chain Links are made, there is a lot less bulk than having a double (or triple) Fisherman's on the suspension attachment rope. I didn't have to tie any knots at all.

Without the need for a Double Fisherman's, or the prusik around the buckle, I see this as a weight advantage by less line being needed.

Very fast and easy installation for both the Chain Links and the cinch buckles!

I highly recommend both the Chain Links and the cinch buckles!

My thanks to Paul of Arrowhead Equipment, for helping to make my diy experience more pleasant!

Perkolady
    Last edited by Perkolady; 01-22-2010 at 12:44.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I thank you greatly for the kind comments Perkolady. I am happy that they are working well for you and am glad to have helped with your project.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice review, I got the same set up from Paul and really like them. The chain links were a breeze to install on my BB. I got yellow and green so I can tell the head and footends apart when the hammock is in it's stuff sack. I like the buckles too. Looking forward to no backup knots in the webbing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    This is great to hear...but not surprising after PMing Paul several times. I ordered new straps, cinch buckles and chain links this week to replace my stock HH suspension. I have to say that Paul was very patient and answered ALL of my questions without bias or reservation (I had several). I can't wait to get my stuff in so I can reclaim the memory space in my brain housing group that was reserved for the HH quadruple figure 8 knot and be able to easily adjust my hang!
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Brain space will be freed up soon, new batch of buckles got in late last night and will be shipping out today.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Perk, you've been working overtime. How great not to have to order from 3 different places and pay all that extra shipping. I had no idea that Paul's buckles has teeth. Great intel!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdpalace View Post
    I can't wait to get my stuff in so I can reclaim the memory space in my brain housing group that was reserved for the HH quadruple figure 8 knot and be able to easily adjust my hang!
    Man, I know what you mean! Not to mention all the time it took to keep retying them! UG! I am so glad those days are gone!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    How great not to have to order from 3 different places and pay all that extra shipping.
    Yes, it really is great. Especially for those times where you decide that you want to make a hammock- NOW!

I was surprised about the teeth as well on the buckles. They are really great!
    I didn't notice ANY pulling on the webbing fibers. They are really only slightly raised and aren't very pointy, but they have just enough umph! to give that extra holding power.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great review! If I ever change my whoopies back to webbing I'll be getting a set of those buckles. I see Paul has them in black now, too. He's getting a real nice selection of equipment in his store.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    I too like bdpalace am upgrading my HH suspension. I am going with chainlinks, buckles and webbing. I just got done sewing my webbing straps now I just have to finish rigging it all up. I really look forward to using this setup over the stock HH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast