WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

diy spreader bar tip adapters

Hey guys, I use mountain smith mono pods hiking poles for my spreader bars on my warbonnet ridgerunner. Works great, except that the tip seemed to bend a bit when under stress---I think its pretty strong, but cant handle a side load. I was worried about it failing , so came up with this solution. (which has worked very well for me for the past few years) I used 3/4 inch outside diameter pvc pipe, a coupling , an end cap, and a 1/8 inch diameter screw and nut. Im not sure about other hiking poles, but on the mountain smith poles, the basket is permenantly fixed to the pole. Its pretty strong, but I didnt want it to take all of the load, so I adjusted the length of the adapter before glueing it together, so the load is shared between the basket and the tip of the pole. The end of the pole is still taking alot of the load, but now its stabilized by the adapter resting on the bottom of the basket. (on my adapter, length from the bottom of the basket to the tip of the pole is about 3.25 inches. ) Completed adapter weighs about 1.25 ounces a piece. It wouldnt be too hard to trim a bit off the weight--you would use an aluminum screw, maybe drill a few lightning holes in the pvc, use less glue etc. Anyway, Im sure there are other ways to make this work, but this has worked out very well for me! (also, I used pvc cement to glue the pieces together--the jb weld on the top was just to smoothe out the nut on the bolt at the end so it wouldnt scratch up my ridgerunners dogbone metal socket/pieces) pole topper 2.jpgpole topper 4.jpg
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for sharing this!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Glad to help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown