Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Maybe this was answered already. I usually follow along pretty well, but the zipper explanation lost me. Can you retrofit an XLC with a dual slider zipper so that the opening can be moved closer to the center?

Does the WBBB work differently in this regard?

BTW. I have a WBBB XLC DL mirror that I picked up on HG to take my dad out on a camping trip. He preferred the cot. I Love the shelf and prefer the mirror lay. Don't need the DL for my weight, but it may contribute to how comfortable this hammock is. This has become my go-to car camping rig, but the reach to the head-end zipper bugs me. I know - first world problem. I don't have and don't plan to ever need the winter cover on this Hammock and would not expect to remove the bugnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    Maybe this was answered already. I usually follow along pretty well, but the zipper explanation lost me. Can you retrofit an XLC with a dual slider zipper so that the opening can be moved closer to the center?

BTW. I have a WBBB XLC DL mirror that I picked up on HG to take my dad out on a camping trip. He preferred the cot. I Love the shelf and prefer the mirror lay. Don't need the DL for my weight, but it may contribute to how comfortable this hammock is. This has become my go-to car camping rig, but the reach to the head-end zipper bugs me. I know - first world problem. I don't have and don't plan to ever need the winter cover on this Hammock and would not expect to remove the bugnet.

I don't own the Blackbirds yet..

The XLC hammock appears to only have a single zipper that starts at the head end. I believe the regular hammock starts in the middle by the shelf for easier access.

However, the following link seems to show bi-directional zippers for the regular hammock. Now, I'm really confused.. I'll need to email Brandon for clarification when I'm finally ready to purchase one.

https://sectionhiker.com/gear-closet...r-accessories/

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a Ridgerunner (I know this is about the XLC but humor me) which with its zipper configuration one could theoretically enter it from just about any direction (even head or foot end if one were highly motivated). Funny thing is despite all those choices, I always get in and out on the same side. I would bet the majority of people with the option of left and right side entry/exit choose one side or the other and stick with that. Oh we are creatures of habit.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    I have a Ridgerunner (I know this is about the XLC but humor me) which with its zipper configuration one could theoretically enter it from just about any direction (even head or foot end if one were highly motivated). Funny thing is despite all those choices, I always get in and out on the same side. I would bet the majority of people with the option of left and right side entry/exit choose one side or the other and stick with that. Oh we are creatures of habit.
    Not me.. My point of entry for the RR depends on my campsite.. I entered from the right side on the first trip, then the left side on my second trip.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post

Well, there a different zippers that do different things. When you need very long zippers, a coil zipper is usually best suited. It comes on big spools, and you can cut it to size. You can thread on as many zipper sleds as you like. The standard Blackbird has 2 sleds, so you can have the opening where-ever you like. But it's difficult to make this zipper separate. You can do it, but I think it only allows 1 sled.

The XLC was designed so that you can take off the cover completely, and WB is using a coil zipper - probably to get around having to use expensive separating two-way zippers that only come in certain lengths. I don't know if they even make 22' two-way separating zippers. Even if they do, it's probably difficult to sew on a fixed length zipper so that it closes the hammock completely.

If you don't need or don't want to take off the net, you could try to either add two zipper sleds (I don't have an XLC handy, so I can't look at the zipper end to see if this might be possible), or you could take off the zipper, sew the footbox/shelf side closed (as in the standard BB), cut the coil zipper that you just took off to size, add another sled, and sew it on the entry side. You'd probably have to do some modifications in the ends like sewing on some end caps or the likes.

Of course you could also measure the zipper length of your XLC and try finding a two-way separating zipper that is the same length.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I found a YouTube video showing how to add a slider/sled, but involved removing the stops. Then pull apart the zipper and start each end on the matched up open slides.

It was probably the same kind of zipper used in the original WBBB. It still seems possible, but first I would need the right slider/sled. I think I need to email Warbonnet.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I might need to purchase both Blackbirds for trial. If other six-footers have no issue with the regular hammock, I may as well try it..

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I might need to purchase both Blackbirds for trial. If other six-footers have no issue with the regular hammock, I may as well try it..
    I'm 5'11" and I bought the WBBB regular and was reasonably comfy although there were some issues. I tried a XLC at the NEHHA spring hang and knew I needed it ASAP! It is seriously that much more comfy if you are hovering around 6'!! The WBBB's my wife and daughter have are fine as they are hovering around 5'. Heck, my daughter sleeps ion her stomach in her's somehow!!!!???? I would go with the XLC if I were you. Just my opinion though.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by curlymaple42 View Post
    I'm 5'11" and I bought the WBBB regular and was reasonably comfy although there were some issues. I tried a XLC at the NEHHA spring hang and knew I needed it ASAP! It is seriously that much more comfy if you are hovering around 6'!! The WBBB's my wife and daughter have are fine as they are hovering around 5'. Heck, my daughter sleeps ion her stomach in her's somehow!!!!???? I would go with the XLC if I were you. Just my opinion though.
    So glad you chimed in so quickly. Those bi-directional zippers are very tempting.. Don't you miss them?

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    I miss it very slightly. Don't miss it at all when in the hammock really. If you hang it right, you reach up and zipper is right there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast