Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Differences Between Hex 1.0 and 1.6

I'm doing some research in preparation for my Chameleon purchase, and in a lot of the threads I've been reading people ask about and discuss if, based on their weight, they should get the hex 1.0 or 1.6. I've read in these discussions that the 1.0 is more stretchy but also lighter than the 1.6.

I've looked for threads and also YouTube videos of anyone comparing/discussing the differences between the two, and I can't find any.

I don't want to assume that just because weight-wise, I would be OK in the 1.0, then that's what I should get - I like to understand why I'm making the choices I'm making. But I'm guessing in this case, the best way to do so would be that I'd have to test/feel/lay in both fabrics to determine what I really prefer.

Anyway, does anyone have anything to add regarding the differences between these two, other than what's already been mentioned (weight & stretchy-ness)? For context, I'm 5'3 and 140lbs.

My guess is that I'm so new to hammocking, I could purchase either one and they'd both make me happy Still wanted to put this out there for any discussion/advice you may have. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "My guess is that I'm so new to hammocking, I could purchase either one and they'd both make me happy "

If you find your WB comfy, then you're probably right. Your weight &/or height will not be an issue in either fabric. And you're right about stretchiness being the other main difference. I own & like both fabrics, so all that aside, here goes:

I typically like a firm mattress at home, and the 1.6 (wide) is comfortable to me. So I made a 1.0 just to see and I think I like it even more! I assume I like the stretchiness but wow, is that thing comfortable.

My recommendation is go for the 1.0 to save weight, and if you hate it, sell it here and buy the 1.6. You probably won't be out much, as resale should be high.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    My recommendation is go for the 1.0 to save weight, and if you hate it, sell it here and buy the 1.6. You probably won't be out much, as resale should be high.
    Pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    I'm doing some research in preparation for my Chameleon purchase, and in a lot of the threads I've been reading people ask about and discuss if, based on their weight, they should get the hex 1.0 or 1.6. I've read in these discussions that the 1.0 is more stretchy but also lighter than the 1.6.

I've looked for threads and also YouTube videos of anyone comparing/discussing the differences between the two, and I can't find any.

I don't want to assume that just because weight-wise, I would be OK in the 1.0, then that's what I should get - I like to understand why I'm making the choices I'm making. But I'm guessing in this case, the best way to do so would be that I'd have to test/feel/lay in both fabrics to determine what I really prefer.

Anyway, does anyone have anything to add regarding the differences between these two, other than what's already been mentioned (weight & stretchy-ness)? For context, I'm 5'3 and 140lbs.

My guess is that I'm so new to hammocking, I could purchase either one and they'd both make me happy Still wanted to put this out there for any discussion/advice you may have. Thanks!
    I have a netless hammock in hexon 1.0 and a Chameleon in hexon 1.6. I'm 5'8" and around 170 and haven't had any issues with the 1.0 being too stretchy. The 1.0 is incredibly soft, silky, and light. The 1.6 feels more durable and is a bit less stretchy. I agree with the advice of getting the 1.0 and selling it if you find you want the 1.6.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    I am in agreement with everyone here. 1.0 is recommended up to 150lbs, so you have that covered...and rickmurph is doing fine up at 170 lbs. That is the way to go...and as everyone is saying, it will not be difficult at all to sell here in the forums if you change your mind and want to move up to the 1.6 later. Not too often you get a risk free way to try out great gear! Cheers!

1.6 is more resilient to cope with an unfortunate situation, a brush against bush and hooking up a possible snag, or as in my unfortunate case, a brief nudge with a rock.... a careless set up l will admit! Anyhow, this chafed or grazed the 1.0 Hexon ruining the strength of the weave and did ruin the hammock... just saying.

From that "personal" experience with 1.0, l know l would take better consideration with regards with the set up location...

l now use 1.6, as l trust this will tolerate in conditions and therefore handle a knock because of its slightly more robust weave, and it does... and at the same time, it still got or maintains that Hexon comfort..

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Good points, Cabbo...completely agree with you! I alway err on the side of relability myself.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Excellent points and considerations. I didn't even consider the re-sale aspect of it. Thanks so much everyone!

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I have netless hammocks in both 1.0 and 1.6. Overall I like the 1.6 better as it gives me less of a calf ridge. I'm around 220lbs though so it's to be expected.

• + New Posts