Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Amb/Ren/Ban
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Over night on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

This is from 6 weekends ago.

Alright got out for a quick over nighter on the LHHT. This was mostly to test a new hammock suspension and some other new gear, and chose this stretch because 1) I know it like the back of my hand and 2) there are multiple bailout points should something go wrong. This was also a chance to retrace some of the steps of my youth, so to speak, and I'll mix in some photos from my teen years..., they're scans so not that great of quality.

I hiked in from Rt 30 and stayed at the Turnpike shelter area, round trip of about 15 miles after I did some side exploring. Beautiful spring day Sat, but woke up to a blustery spring day on Sunday. The fog still wasn't lifted by the time I left. I guess I wasn't the only one that had the idea to get out this weekend, as all but one shelter was full by the time bedtime came around.

Permit and fee to sleep in the woods!? Ha! Just kidding, I paid because I know the fees go to maintaining the shelters and trail.

One of many pretty little streams that are flowing this time of year. In a few months, this ridge will be very dry.

I like this section too because although there aren't that many remarkable features, there is some cool geology.

And the trail goes through some big rocks.

It's awesome to imagine that once this was a sea bed, and these mountains once stood higher than the Rockies do now.

Another pretty little stream.

Every spring has sprung!

This is one of the new pieces of gear that I'm testing, a new filter by MSR called the TrailShot. It weighs only 5 ounces, which saves me about 3/4 of a pound from carrying my MSR Guardian. I hate those bag/squeeze type filters, and I think MSR nailed it. Instead of trying it in those pristine streams, I tried it in places like this puddle. Granted, the puddle wasn't that dirty either.

Rocks and Mountain Laurel! Green when all the rest has gone.

Winter hangs on by a thread.

A nice hemlock grove through which a stream flows.

The water is tea colored due to tannins from the hemlock needles. A perfect place to try my filter again. Many filters quickly clog because of the tannins, and the water often still tastes like ****. The TrailShot handled it fine, but I did notice that the pumping force that I had to apply did increase. A quick swish to clean and it was back to normal. Tasted great!

Well done Patrick!

A little more winter hanging around.

It's the abominable snowman!

A view of the valley through the trees.

Coming up on Beam's Rocks.

We used to rappel off that pinnacle.

I was 16 or 17 here, hanging off the above pinnacle. If I remember correctly, about to practice tying off and switching to prussicing back up.

We used to climb all over these rocks, including up that crack.

Approaching the top of the rocks.

You have to hop that gap to get to the rocks..., it is perceptively wider than what it was in my teen years.

View from the rocks.

The pinnacle from above. It makes a nice natural seat.

So nice, it was a favorite place to take GFs in my teens. We used to go out here at night before people started dying and they banned people from being out here at night. We would hike from our base came (coming up).

Looking down to the forest below, and back towards the LHHT which runs below.

I guess this is a memorial to one of the people that died here.

Don't mind if I do, thank you!

Approaching the shelter area. Pit toilets and 5 or 6 Adirondack style lean-tos. They even supply fire wood. I actually adopted one of these shelters as they're 40 years old and in need of restoration. REI granted 10K, the other 14K being gathered from the public.

One of the cozy little lean-tos.

But to heck with that, I'm sleeping above ground.

Home away from home.

And that's it for day one. For day two, it was the same way out so I didn't take any new pics except of my old "base camp." Starting from about 13, myself and 4 other friends started camping at this site every summer for a couple of weeks. Our parents would drop us off with a load of gear and each of us would hump at least 50 pounds of stuff deep into the woods. Although you aren't far from various roads or trails in Forbes, we did find the most remote place we could, and set up our camp. For 5 years, no one ever found us there, nor ever found our camp..., until today. I found the remnants and I have seen this place for going on 25 years. We used to bury our tools..., easier than humping them out.

Fire pit on the right.

I saw that a sapling pushed one of the tools to the surface, the handle long since rotted away. I'm going to come back this summer and clean this stuff up, although no one would ever find it, as an adult, leave no trace negates the possibility of me leaving the site like this. It would also be cool to have those mementos.

Looking at the fire pit towards and old quarry. It is overgrown with saplings now. Back in the day, we used to set up our base camp here and then explore every nook and cranny of these mountains. We'd leave at dawn and often not get back until after dark. Do kids do that these days?

I found some pictures of one such outing.

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 06-11-2017 at 08:25.
    Life has a melody.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    JustinHemi, I need a permit like that!!
    It will help free my mind from internal constraints and outside interference.
    Great stories and trip, thanks JustinHemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Nice trip report. I had a great time out there last month, your photos brought back recent memories! Thanks for sharing!

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Awesome, its on my list of trails to try, thanks for sharing

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Nice and fun trip report. Thanks for sharing. What size tarp are you using above that Ridgerunner?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Amb/Ren/Ban
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Nice and fun trip report. Thanks for sharing. What size tarp are you using above that Ridgerunner?
    That's the standard Cuben fiber with doors from HG. I'm getting the palace, though, and put this one up for sale.
    Life has a melody.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    That's the standard Cuben fiber with doors from HG. I'm getting the palace, though, and put this one up for sale.
    Do you need the extra room and coverage for the RR? What ridgeline length are you going for?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Amb/Ren/Ban
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Do you need the extra room and coverage for the RR? What ridgeline length are you going for?
    I feel I do. 12ft.
    Life has a melody.

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Nice job. Pictures tell a great story of your trip. Views looking out into the valley were great. And included those from years back make the place yours. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great job telling the story and interweaving the pics from the good ol' days.

Looks like you had a nice hike, a nice stay and got to revisit some great memories.

All the best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast