Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammock Trouble

Hammock Trouble

I made a hammock about 2 months ago and have been using it quite a bit. Almost every weekend, and sometimes every week. I made it out of nylon ripstop material. It worked very well for all this time, had a big net and all was swell. But just last night sleeping in it, I was a bit low to the ground, and up north one the Canadian shied I was close to the rocks. I guess at one point it hit the rock, or scratched and well it ripped. It was not a rip form head to toe, but a rip from one side of my waist to the other. Which sucks when at three in the morning you pack up everything and start canoing home early. I was wondering if when i tied the ends together there was too much pressure on certain spots then others. Im not to such why this happened. Was wondering if doubling the nylon over would make it stronger? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great full. I followed "Just Jeffs Hammock" and like I said was amazing first couple months but this was a downer. I love sleeping in hammocks!
    Thanks,
    andrew

Images
    if there was a small hole started by a sharp rock or whatever, i could definately see that happening. you could use two layers, or just a thicker/heavier/stronger single layer, or just be more careful around sharp objects lol...Brandon

Images
    Welcome to the forum Imagine.peace!
    Ive used two layers of nylon tafetta for my hammocks. They worked fine. I believe if you use two layers of 1.1 oz nylon ripstop it would be much stronger than layered tafetta.

Images

Supplex

Welcome to the forum Image.Peace
    I was contemplating using supplex for a strong (albeit a smidge heavier) single layer hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i don't know what weight fabric you used for your hammock, but most people would recommend at least a 1.9oz fabric.
    i'm sure a second layer would help protect the main hammock body, even if it was a lighter fabric, but like the others said, be especially careful about rocks & sticks that might rub & damage the hammock. there's a lot of force being supported by that fabric & your depending on it for a good night's sleep.
    welcome to the group. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I would also tend to think that any material light enough to hike with would rip pretty easily if it rubbed on something.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Once you get a small tear or rip, especially in the area of the hammock that gets a lot of stress, it will tear and continue to get larger. You can use heavier material, double layers, or other methods but the best this to do is just be careful when hanging your hammock. Be sure you have enough clearance from hazards that may be close by.

Welcome to the forum. I like the username.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome imagine.peace,

I wonder how effective a needle and polyester thread (maybe some dental floss?) would have been if you had caught the rip earlier, or would the stress still have been too much?

"A stitch in time saves nine"?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Sounds like the real issue is tying it high enough and well enough to avoid sag to any obstacles....

FWIW.... although we all sometimes ignore having even ground under us, it is worth pointing out again, that every time we hang over any obstacle we have an increased risk should descender rings/knots slip or fail... dropping even a few inches under these conditions could result in injury or even death.....This same risk is why the hammock and suspension system should be inspected with every hang...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    .....This same risk is why the hammock and suspension system should be inspected with every hang...

Pan
    Hmmmmmmmm....Sounds like a PCI from earlier days. Or should I say A PHI? BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast