Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ/EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Biggest dislike so far.. Dutch didn't tell us to buy 2 of the peak shelfs... Seriously if you buy 1...buy 2 lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images

Shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2541 View Post
    Biggest dislike so far.. Dutch didn't tell us to buy 2 of the peak shelfs... Seriously if you buy 1...buy 2 lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I agree completly! I needed two of those on the first hang. They look perfect.

Hammock
    WBRR,Dutch 11' -wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly, SLD WiH
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix, pads
    Suspension
    web various cinch
    Images
    Do Love the Chmeleon, it's very comfortable and well appointed. Works great, is wonderfully adaptable.

This is not a dislike of the hammock problem but I had carpenter ants ( I'm near certain) coming down my new Chameleon suspension on my first hang night they came right in the end opening where the CL is clinching the GE, the SRL comes in through that folded opening.
    I thought I got the three ants I saw out each day I camped here in central PA. I camped in that spot maybe four nights total. Later I found they had chewed through the new bugnet and one of the mesh end zipper covers. Nine holes between 1/8" and 3/16" in diameter.
    All in the netting. Two of the holes were up on the side of the mesh in the center. I used Tenacious tape pieces to cover the holes. This is a first of this kind in more than sixty years camping. I was not happy with these Pennsylvania ants. That mesh IS very fine and light BUT . . .I have been bitten or pinched by them in the past but have never known them to chew through mesh . . . Seems pretty aggressive. June seems to be a time for ants in the woods. Does any one have a similar experience?

Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ/EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by danah. View Post
    Do Love the Chmeleon, it's very comfortable and well appointed. Works great, is wonderfully adaptable.

This is not a dislike of the hammock problem but I had carpenter ants ( I'm near certain) coming down my new Chameleon suspension on my first hang night they came right in the end opening where the CL is clinching the GE, the SRL comes in through that folded opening.
    I thought I got the three ants I saw out each day I camped here in central PA. I camped in that spot maybe four nights total. Later I found they had chewed through the new bugnet and one of the mesh end zipper covers. Nine holes between 1/8" and 3/16" in diameter.
    All in the netting. Two of the holes were up on the side of the mesh in the center. I used Tenacious tape pieces to cover the holes. This is a first of this kind in more than sixty years camping. I was not happy with these Pennsylvania ants. That mesh IS very fine and light BUT . . .I have been bitten or pinched by them in the past but have never known them to chew through mesh . . . Seems pretty aggressive. June seems to be a time for ants in the woods. Does any one have a similar experience?
    This is why I plan on soaking everything in permethrin before I take it outdoors. Ants + Permethrin = no issues lol.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    I was not happy with these Pennsylvania ants. That mesh IS very fine and light BUT . . .I have been bitten or pinched by them in the past but have never known them to chew through mesh . . . Seems pretty aggressive.
    Hmmm. Dutch Pennsylvania ants perhaps? They have a mean streak a mile wide. I'm surprised Dutch doesn't have some type of 'Antz" hardware.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images

With any hammock this will be the case... The answer is not to hang on a tree that is occupied by Carpenter Ants in the first place... Seriously, you'll find them hiding in everything afterwards, but not only that... If they're in the tree, thats a sign that the tree might be unsafe to hang on anyway due to its already compromised state that is the reason they can nest there

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I agree completly! I needed two of those on the first hang. They look perfect.
    This

My first Chameleon had two peak shelves (one at each end), but my second has only one; I slept in the newer one last night, and the empty peak at the foot end just seems wrong after having had a pair of shelves for a few months now. Dutch is sending me a second peak shelf as we speak, so I'll be watching the mail until it arrives and I can solve my "problem"...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Thanks again to everyone that contributed to this discussion. It was great hearing all your thoughts on this new hammock. I received my Chameleon yesterday. Seems like solid kit. Coming from my XLC it is going to take some time to get used to and I am looking forward to getting in the bush with it. Here are my initial thoughts after about an hr spent hanging:

- Hex2.4 (Net Only) Coyote Brown Chameleon -
    The quality of the hammock seems top notch and about what I would expect from Dutch. Love the color. The feel and weave of the fabric is awesome. While I felt comfortable that the 2.4oz fabric would hold me (290lb), it was apparent quickly that it was a bit stretchier than my DL1.7 XLC. I found it to be quite comfortable and easy to find the sweet spot. I did have a much harder time getting my big body out of the hammock with the added stretch. I think in the end I do wish a DL 1.6 was available. Oh well. The netted top was easy to put on and the zippers seem great. A bit sticky but I am sure they will wear in.

- Peak Shelf (2x) -
    Pretty slick. I like how you can adjust the tension on the net to make it bigger/smaller/tighter/looser. Very glad I picked up two shelves. Head end shelf doesn't seem to get in the way too much (although I haven't loaded with anything heavy yet).

- Storage Pouch -
    Simple. Effective. I like that it is versatile and can go on the ridge-line or the D-rings. For $10 a no brainier. I wish the pocket openings were just a tad bigger, personally.

- Beetle Buckles/Staps -
    Jury is still out on these. I feel a bit of stretch in them when I pull or sit on them. The buckles Are smart and fairly easy to adjust. But I already miss my Warbonnet webbing and cinch buckles. I thought I would love being able to disconnect my hammock from the suspension (and I still might..waiting for the next rainy trip when it will come in handy) but I quickly found that it makes using my LST a bit more difficult. Before I just cinched the LST around the WB cinch buckle with the carabiners hanging out the ends..but with the disconnected hammock I cant do that and have to just leave a hank of fabric exposed and hanging out. Not ideal. Oh well.

Potential Problem Area: I am going to watch the bug netting closely. I felt that there was quite a bit of stress put on the netting. It was VERY taut in some places. Also, I noticed that the adjustable ridge-line hooks used to attach the peak shelves to the RL have the pointy ends (where you pinch) facing up and it rubs on the very tight netting pretty bad. I can see this being an issue over time and possibly tearing/wearing a hole in the bugnet. I have a couple of holes in my XLC netting and Tear-Aid works great to repair...hopefully i wont have to use it on the Chameleon.

Ill post more thoughts when I get a chance to hang a bit more.
    Last edited by Burg54; 06-27-2017 at 21:29.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post

- Hex2.4 (Net Only) Coyote Brown Chameleon -
    The quality of the hammock seems top notch and about what I would expect from Dutch. Love the color. The feel and weave of the fabric is awesome. While I felt comfortable that the 2.4oz fabric would hold me (290lb), it was apparent quickly that it was a bit stretchier than my DL1.7 XLC. I found it to be quite comfortable and easy to find the sweet spot. I did have a much harder time getting my big body out of the hammock with the added stretch. I think in the end I do wish a DL 1.6 was available. Oh well. The netted top was easy to put on and the zippers seem great. A bit sticky but I am sure they will wear in.
    I initially got mine in the 1.6. Being 300lbs myself, it was way too much stretch for my taste. I could hardly get out of the thing. I have a 2.4 on order. Hopefully it is better. I am coming from the DL1.7 XLC as well.
    One other thing I noticed is the lack of ability to sit in "chair mode" in the hammock. The body stretched so much under my butt and the edge with the zipper is doesn't stretch. Combined with the thinner bug net and the lack of reinforcement like the XLC has, I couldn't sit comfortably. That was one of my favorite parts of my XLC is being able to lounge around comfortably. Have you had the same issue with the 2.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Potential Problem Area: I am going to watch the bug netting closely. I felt that there was quite a bit of stress put on the netting. It was VERY taut in some places. Also, I noticed that the adjustable ridge-line hooks used to attach the peak shelves to the RL have the pointy ends (where you pinch) facing up and it rubs on the very tight netting pretty bad. I can see this being an issue over time and possibly tearing/wearing a hole in the bugnet. I have a couple of holes in my XLC netting and Tear-Aid works great to repair...hopefully i wont have to use it on the Chameleon.
    I noticed the same thing on the clip for the peak shelf. I actually snagged the bug net with my fingernail while adjusting the clip. It didn't make a hole per say, but it is noticeable. Hopefully over time the clip doesn't wear away especially if you are adjusting it while inside with the bug net closed and there is tension on the net.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    I initially got mine in the 1.6. Being 300lbs myself, it was way too much stretch for my taste. I could hardly get out of the thing. I have a 2.4 on order. Hopefully it is better. I am coming from the DL1.7 XLC as well.
    One other thing I noticed is the lack of ability to sit in "chair mode" in the hammock. The body stretched so much under my butt and the edge with the zipper is doesn't stretch. Combined with the thinner bug net and the lack of reinforcement like the XLC has, I couldn't sit comfortably. That was one of my favorite parts of my XLC is being able to lounge around comfortably. Have you had the same issue with the 2.4?

I noticed the same thing on the clip for the peak shelf. I actually snagged the bug net with my fingernail while adjusting the clip. It didn't make a hole per say, but it is noticeable. Hopefully over time the clip doesn't wear away especially if you are adjusting it while inside with the bug net closed and there is tension on the net.
    Yep. Same issues..although I am SURE they are much less pronounced in the 2.4 vs the 1.6 fabric. I found the seated lounging and getting out to be not as comfortable/easy as on the XLC.

The amount of tension on the net made me a bit weary of its longevity. But I have not read one complaint about it so I hope its not an issue. Seems to be holding up for everyone just fine.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast