Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made

Question Looooooooooong suspensions (10m +)

hello fellow hammockers,

looking at the stars beats looking at branches at times.

any experience with 10 or 15m distance?

i know about the pillar support ways but would prefere tensioning one long rope using descender rings.

how to tension?
    how hard to tension?
    attaching the h. ?
    kind of rope.

thanks a lot !
    m

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's a loooooong distance between anchor points. The Hammock Hang Calculator says you'll need to mount the straps 11 ft. up the tree (or anchor point).

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

I would think it will be even more problematic trying to use a single line suspension (hard to tell if that's what you're considering).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This was only 25 feet or so,

that was hard enough to get high enough up the tree!

This is my front garden,

Just under 40 feet from house to tree, anchor on house is just under the eaves (over 14' up), a bit lower on the tree end.

Hammock
    SLD/Dutch/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    SLD/UGQ/HG/DIY
    Insulation
    LLG/UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD
    View my featured outdoor gear printed fabric patterns at Ripstop by the Roll: Collections: BGD

Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    i appreciate all responses. climing couple meters up the tree is a solution i didnt think about.

i sleep in the forrest quite a bit. (40+ nights this year already) but what i asked here, i would mostly use, if i have company in the h. with me.

did anyone try to hang a h. over a long gap with tension? not with higher anchor points? would be easier and safer. most trees in the forest are not that easy to climb anyway....

using one rope with high tension and attaching my h. with some slack, will still give me a good hang.... i hope

i will try both ways. waiting for descender rings right now... the ones i have right now are to hard on my rope.

Quote Originally Posted by micks View Post

did anyone try to hang a h. over a long gap with tension? not with higher anchor points? would be easier and safer. most trees in the forest are not that easy to climb anyway....

using one rope with high tension and attaching my h. with some slack, will still give me a good hang.... i hope

i will try both ways. waiting for descender rings right now... the ones i have right now are to hard on my rope.
    I have not done it but I would think you could hang a hammock like a tarp. Use a continuous line from tree to tree and hang your hammock using prussik knots on the line.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    For longer hangs SilvrSurfr and Gadget are right-consult tables and hang high--so you won't bust your suspension or trees.
    If using a single line suspension--consider marlin spike hitches and toggles to keep hammock from sliding towards middle from both ends. Prusik with extra wraps MIGHT hold, marlin spike hitch with toggle WILL not slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's this some vanity project? Or are your trees so far apart there is no other option?
    If it's the former, why make the trees (and your equipment) suffer for your vanity?
    Don't impose yourself on nature, work with her. Be a good ambassador for hammocking.

--
    Gadget

Sorry, that was uncalled for, what can I say? It's late... we've all had a drink... LOL
    The sentiment is still there, but I needn't have been so rude, especially to a noob on the forum.
    But if you must do this, there are a number of things I would do, to make things less stressful for your equipment and trees. Firstly, use the right material -
    nylon has way too much stretch, climbing rope is designed to stretch, making it a bad choice, unless you can double, treble, quadruple it to reduce the stretch
    Polyester is better, much reduced stretch, but still significant over long distances
    Dyneema (Amsteel) is your friend here. Very little stretch, but still some, I used one strand of 7/64" on my 40 foot hang and had to factor in the stretch. Doubling will halve the stretch, as will using thicker cord, consider using 1/8" or larger.
    And protecting the trees will be a priority too. Select big mature trees that can handle the added load and leverage
    Consider using 2" webbing to protect the bark (or multiple 1"). Seat belt webbing is a free source of 2" webbing... Go talk to your local fire station or breakers yard.
    One way of reducing the leverage on the trees is to anchor low down, on a another tree behind, then run the line up to a deviation point on the main tree. That will put the load straight down through the trunk on the main tree and the leverage will be minimal on the anchor tree.

--
    Gadget