Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    MikekiM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    East of Montauk, NY
    Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    HG |CDT
    Suspension
    Yes..
    Posts
    1,616
    Images
    8
    Nice... gotta try that....just in case


    Sent from somewhere east of Montauk
    _______________________________________
    The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

  2. #12
    michigandave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Clarkston, MI
    Hammock
    SLD Streamliner, Trail Lair
    Tarp
    3 SLD's and HG CF
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, EE
    Suspension
    straps - whoopies
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks for jogging my mind on trying this setup with my Trail Lair, just in case I need to gtg someday. Now you've got me thinking of what padding or extra clothes I'll have available to help protect the hexon 1.0.

    Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
    "Si Quæris Peninsulam Amœnam Circumspice"
    2017 Gluttony Hang Nov. 2-5 Planning Thread
    2018 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang will take place February 22-25th. Trip planning thread to start in November.
    2017 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang Trip Report
    Michigandave Photo Albums on Flickr

  3. #13

    Chameleon Hammock set up on ground>>>>

    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Hammock sits on ground...poles hold the ends up.




    [/url]
    Howdy shug, big fan and all. Glad to finally have a reason to reach out in the interwebs.

    I was just wondering what yer using as poles, wether that's gonna be a noground trekking pole or not (even tho that's designed to not hit the ground), or it's just any old thing with an alamosa stake. I needa make something similar for a trip to Yellowstone with the better half.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lighteffect95; 06-19-2017 at 12:24.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunny UK
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Posts
    142
    I am not an expert but personally would use a full length pad, maybe something like the pads used for your Amok hammock, which I know you have. Placing the hammock on that and solely using a sleep mat for ground insulation. Also maybe some tyvek as a water proof barrier under a sleep mat. This would avoid compression of the under quilt and give you adequate insulation if needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Senior Member fsupaintball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Posts
    145
    Doesn't look like fun but if there's anyone who can pull it off....

    Maybe consider getting another reflectix thingie from the dollar store? I'll bet that would supplement this pretty well if your insulation is questionable. And if you didn't want to tear up your emergency rain gear, maybe one of these.

  6. #16
    Dos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Posts
    2,450
    Images
    11
    Really liking this post in general.
    Had to gtg once on the PCT. This is pretty much what I did as well.
    I used an alternative to Advil

    Definitively much better in the trees.
    Thanks for the post and fodder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

  7. #17
    Benson Burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Hammock
    Comfy ones!
    Tarp
    I like Tarps
    Insulation
    Down, pads,whatevs
    Suspension
    Strong stuff
    Posts
    519
    Images
    13
    So curious, I set up a bivy last night in preparation for my upcoming hike around Mt. St. Helens, there is a spot or two without trees.......hahahaha, but seriously, I just got my WBRR set up with pads for that trip, works real nice as bivy, should only need one night on ground but the pad works great up in the air in that ridge runner IMO. As we watched in your last video. Thanks for showcasing that set up, it was too hard to resist, and now I own one and love it, thanks for what you do!
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson burner's attic.

  8. #18
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    18,303
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi hanger View Post
    I am not an expert but personally would use a full length pad, maybe something like the pads used for your Amok hammock, which I know you have. Placing the hammock on that and solely using a sleep mat for ground insulation. Also maybe some tyvek as a water proof barrier under a sleep mat. This would avoid compression of the under quilt and give you adequate insulation if needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I just want to use what I normally have with me and not carry the extra full length pad as this whole go to ground thing may or may not happen. Just wanting to see if I can get by with what I usually carry. Not as comfy as hanging but will get me through the night.

    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Doesn't look like fun but if there's anyone who can pull it off....

    Maybe consider getting another reflectix thingie from the dollar store? I'll bet that would supplement this pretty well if your insulation is questionable. And if you didn't want to tear up your emergency rain gear, maybe one of these.
    I think the rain gear will survive. I am just laying there like a sleeping ogre!
    The point is to use what I have and not tote extra stuff. May not even have to go to ground...I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    Really liking this post in general.
    Had to gtg once on the PCT. This is pretty much what I did as well.
    I used an alternative to Advil

    Definitively much better in the trees.
    Thanks for the post and fodder.
    But still a night in the woods!

    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    So curious, I set up a bivy last night in preparation for my upcoming hike around Mt. St. Helens, there is a spot or two without trees.......hahahaha, but seriously, I just got my WBRR set up with pads for that trip, works real nice as bivy, should only need one night on ground but the pad works great up in the air in that ridge runner IMO. As we watched in your last video. Thanks for showcasing that set up, it was too hard to resist, and now I own one and love it, thanks for what you do!
    That'll get you through the night. Next night in the air will be magical.
    Shug's Swag Shop

    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

    My YouTube Videos

  9. #19
    all secure in sector 7 Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    18,303
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by lighteffect95 View Post
    Howdy shug, big fan and all. Glad to finally have a reason to reach out in the interwebs.

    I was just wondering what yer using as poles, wether that's gonna be a noground trekking pole or not (even tho that's designed to not hit the ground), or it's just any old thing with an alamosa stake. I needa make something similar for a trip to Yellowstone with the better half.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those are just my regular Black Diamond hiking poles. The poles are supporting my tarp and the hammock but bearing no weight from the hammock. Just my normal tarp stakes used.
    Shug's Swag Shop

    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

    My YouTube Videos

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Those are just my regular Black Diamond hiking poles. The poles are supporting my tarp and the hammock but bearing no weight from the hammock. Just my normal tarp stakes used.
    So you'd just be doing a one tree hang out in the field with this setup?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Hammock with Reversible Net (Chameleon-Style)
    By kitsapcowboy in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 18:55
  2. Dream hammock raven /chameleon?
    By Drum Man in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 08:13
  3. Just arrived...chameleon hammock!
    By Hanginw/sasquatch in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 07:21
  4. FS: Complete Chameleon Hammock setup and HG Phoenix UQ
    By Squirrel in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2017, 10:05
  5. Dream Hammock Sparrow vs Dutchware Chameleon
    By theck in forum Camping Hammocks
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 02-13-2017, 12:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •