Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmadden View Post
    I camped at Lewis and Clark State Park in Missouri last weekend and the campground host said hammocks had to be on a stand and could not attach to trees. Next time I'm there I'm going to ask a park ranger.
    They'll probably say the same thing. Lot of ridiculous regulations in state parks, some of which are not actually state regulations, but the rules based on what the person in charge thinks and says. Like having to hang over the tent pad - really!??!?! If I were going to camp at state parks, or other managed campgrounds, I would go overboard with the straps, using 2" straps, and not ask a **** thing when I was making the reservation or checking in. If someone comes by and says you're not in compliance, just simply show them how and why your setup is less impactful to the site than a tent would be. 99% of the time, you're not going to have an issue after that, either because they get it or they don't enforce it. Of course, that gets a lot harder to do if using mule tape.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by kc_joe View Post
    So what did you do? Turn around and go home? I've never been faced with this but it is one of my secret fears.
    In this case, I had my popup camper I was trying to sell so I didn't use the hammock. Now that the camper is sold, I will have to use a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    They'll probably say the same thing. Lot of ridiculous regulations in state parks, some of which are not actually state regulations, but the rules based on what the person in charge thinks and says. Like having to hang over the tent pad - really!??!?! If I were going to camp at state parks, or other managed campgrounds, I would go overboard with the straps, using 2" straps, and not ask a **** thing when I was making the reservation or checking in. If someone comes by and says you're not in compliance, just simply show them how and why your setup is less impactful to the site than a tent would be. 99% of the time, you're not going to have an issue after that, either because they get it or they don't enforce it. Of course, that gets a lot harder to do if using mule tape.
    The park superintendent is an all right fella, and the host is a volunteer, so wouldn't be surprised if its a different story.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'd go with 1" minimum. I'm all for saving weight but the 1" straps are less likely to do damage and to be more defensible if anybody questions you about them.

Also, if you have longer straps, especially with smaller trees, it's a good idea to wrap the straps at least twice around the tree distributing the force in a pseudo 2" strap.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Mule tape especially does not hold its width. It tends to roll up. Also I have seen damage from one inch on soft bark trees.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12