Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape

Sleeping pads yes or no

They seem to work for some but not me. At least not in my single layer wide gathered end hammock. Staying on that thing was a pain and it changed the balance of the hammock. I haven't tried but they seem good for double layered hammocks, slide the pads between the layers. And some hammocks require one--like the Amok. For me, I am so comfy with out on and use and UQ that I cannot feel but know it's keeping me toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To lighten my pack, I have been experimenting with a inflatable sleeping mat, a NeoAir Xlite which I carry in case I need to go to ground, in my BlackBird XLC and I actually like it. Makes it easier and more comfortable for me to get on my side by creating a wide flat space in the hammock. Without the pad sleeping on my side in the fetal position in the hammock is uncomfortable and clumsy. I lay directly on top of it instead of putting it between the double layers of the hammock. The pad stays in place well. It doesn't move easily. Only inflate it partially. I think I'll stop taking my UQ and just use my sleeping mat unless it's really cold.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    this is the best part of the hammock life

there's not really 1 right way to do things

I've never seen an identical setup to mine and the boys any time I've been out, and I like it that way

always something new to see

Yes. I don't think double layer helps. Just tie 'em up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like both. Depends on the scenario. Sometime I use a quilt. sometimes a pad. Sometimes i use nothing at all. I also enjoy a car windshield reflector for a windbreaker and if the season and location are appropriate you can also stuff the inside of a double layer with dead leaves.

It also depends on the pad. I'm trying a new style pad this weekend. An Ecotek Ultralight. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725ZHCQB..._jWUKBb08ZA0DS

It articulates throughout its many hexagonal cores, which may form better to the coccooning of the hammock. I'll let yinz know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    If one comes across a campsite devoid of trees, the XTherm makes going to the ground easy in that it is 2½ inches off the ground. For me the pad provides nice ground options while the UQ provides the ultimate in comfort.
    YMMV
    That is a plus. I was on a bike trip last summer and the one stop was an Army Corps campgroup that would not let me hang the hammock. I had to lean-to it with my tarp and a stick to prop up one end. Only groundcover was my poncho. A pad would have made it a lot more comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boposke View Post
    Wonder my what everyone's thoughts on sleeping pads are for hammock camping. Also suggestions if you do use them. Currently using Bearbutt double Hammie with full set up minus quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used pads for years; they aren't bad if you can manage the dampness and the slipperiness of a pad.

I never mined the dampness but I used moisture wicking things like a fleece SPE, wool sleeping gear and vapor barriers.
    I still use a pad if I need my stuff to be bomb proof on an outing. To that end I don't use inflatable pads, just the military green or regular blue pads for me. Lightweight and will not develop a leak in the middle of a hunt or fishing trip. If there is any chance I may need to go to ground I take the pads and SPE.

There are a multitude of tricks for managing the slipperiness, from Velcro to hot glue, but I found a double layer hammock was enough for me; in conjunction with a SPE of course.

Underquilts are great, but a pad is cheap, light and multiuse (sit pad, shooting pad, floatation device, etc.).
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag w/ the pad pocket and a thermarest pad that I used for 4 years. It worked great! I had the pad & bag before I got the hammock, and couldn’t affford to get an uq. I’m a side sleeper, in an ENO single nest. I have quilts, now, but if I took a friend out, I’d have no problem lending my quilts and going back to the pad.

Charlotte

I’ve been experimenting lately with my double layer Ridgerunner. One thing I’m noticing is that an inflatable pad gives the sleep surface more cushion which is a big help for side sleeping with wide shoulders. For what it’s worth, I’m using my massively heavy Sea To Summit Comfort Insukared, 25” wide rectangle. While it is nice, an Xlite is the same 2.5” thickness, good enough R value, and way smaller / lighter. Wish they made a 30” wide Xlite.

With just the underquilt, the sleep surface feels tight like a drum skin. Not a problem for lounging flat on back especially on a hot day, but side sleeping started to hurt my shoulder pretty quickly (even wih using a pillow).

Hammock
    War Bonnet Blackbird
    Last weekend I was very fortunate to have a pad rather than my UQ. In Roan Highlands, Tn/NC camped on top of Jane Bald on Friday night, 5800 el.. Before sunset the temps were in low 50s and wind was manageable. Within 30 minutes after sunset temps dropped into the 30s and sustained winds that must have been 25 mph +/- (gusts higher) whipped up and did not cease all night (remnant of Hurricane Michael).
    I was using no-name 1/2 inch closed cell foam pad between the layers of my Warbonnet BB. Kept me warm underneath all night. My JRB down TQ kept me warm all night but it was zipped inside the hammock and not subject to the wind.
    All night, the winds tore at my tarp and hammock ceaselessly. Expected sunrise to reveal badly torn tarp and hammock. Neither happened. No rips or tears in tarp or hammock. All four tarp corners held. If I had an UQ suspended beneath it would have been ripped off early and I would have been in a very bad way.
    I will keep the old foam pad.
    Lester C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast