Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you look for in a hammock?

Hello all!

I have always really enjoyed taking my hammock everywhere I go and decided to start my own hammock brand. But I would like some input on what you look for in a hammock. Any input would be much appreciated!

What is an improvement you would make to your current hammock?
    What are some things you look for in a hammock?
    Material?
    Price points?
    Any other helpful tips?

Thank you for your time!

Luke

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    First, since I'm a big guy, it has to hold me and my stuff, so high strength. then, comfort. I like a gathered end, but never really laid in a bridge hammock to know if they're good for me, as many are for lighter guys. Price can't be too out there. Dutch's Chameleon is about on the outside of what I'd want to spend for a whole package of hammock and accessories.

Good Luck to you and happy hanging.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Hammock, hammock, hammock... what I look for in a hammock is inexpensiveness so I can afford everything else. OR, make it so I don't need everything else. I just think everyone wants their own "hammock" business. Why not create a "shelter" business?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, there are already a lot of cheap hammocks on the market. And the more expensive corner is covered pretty well by the cottage vendors. So if you don't want to do the umpteenth version of the 3-colored parachute hammock, you will have to do something to differentiate your hammocks from the rest.

If you're planning of selling no-net hammocks, this is pretty difficult. Dutch, BIAS, Dream Hammock, SLD, Wilderness Logics and a couple of smaller vendors all sell pretty good netless hammocks. You could use an unusual fabric, like a cotton-poly blend, silk, hemp or whatever makes a nice hammock. I haven't seen anybody selling something like that. You could also experiment with the shape of the hammock body. And I think there's some demand for a netless hammock with a footbox - but you would have to come up with your own original design, since I think WB has a patent on the triangular footbox (you would have to look up the specifics). Or you could make hammocks for very large and/or heavy users. Or a hammock for people hiking with dogs.

If you want to make netted hammocks, it might be a bit easier to come up with something unique. For example there aren't many netted hammocks that allow lying in both directions. The only lightweight hammock I know that allows this is the Dream Hammock Raven. The Switchback is bidirectional as well, but fairly short and heavy. If you could come up with a design that has an integrated net but needs no zippers, that could be quite popular as well.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammockstartup View Post
    I have always really enjoyed taking my hammock everywhere I go and decided to start my own hammock brand. But I would like some input on what you look for in a hammock. Any input would be much appreciated!

What are some things you look for in a hammock?
    There is only one question that matters: Does it come in all six colors of "Tiger Stripes"?

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Images
    The market seems pretty saturated at this point. If you can't offer me something novel that's not a complete gimmick, why would I give your brand a moment's notice?

That's getting harder and harder to accomplish. I suppose like the kitsapcowboy alludes to, you could partner with RSBTR and make hammocks in fancy patterns I can't get elsewhere.

There are only a few hammocks that will do the free standing trick and that's more of a suspension than a hammock. That corner of the market still has room to grow and develop but the market is much smaller for that type of hammock.

There's always going to be people wishing for a flatter lay or less calf ridge, but you'll have to actually invent something new there to get people's attention.

There are only a few companies that make insulated hammocks. If the hammock is effectively the top of your underquilt, you save the weight of that piece of fabric. If you tailor the whole works to be ultra light, you'd end up with something fairly impressive.

I don't think there are any bridge hammocks designed to target the ultralight market. They are by design heavier than a normal hammock but could still be lighter. Carbon fiber spreader bars and/or replace the grosgrain/webbing on the sides with Dyneema mule tape.

Good luck.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I would like some input on what you look for in a hammock.
    I want a 1 lb clark vertex for $100

realistically there's a bunch of guys cranking out a bunch of awesome, high quality hammocks that are all slightly different that scratch a slightly different itch for everyone

you need something revolutionary at this point to really be able to garner any attention.

Look at even guys like SLD or LSOH. they really great hammocks, but aren't instantly on everyone's lips (even tho they should be)

Thank you guys for your input! I would have to agree with you after doing some additional research of my own. The market really is pretty saturated. With that being said, what about accessories? Have you ever felt the need for something that would help make your hammocking experience even better? Do you use a hammock cover?

Thank you all again for your time.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    With that being said, what about accessories? Have you ever felt the need for something that would help make your hammocking experience even better?
    Hammeck used to sell a great hammock stand which was built like a swing stand. They stopped selling them when they closed their shop. The only other proper stand on the market is the one Tato makes, but that's a tripod stand. If you could come up with an A-frame stand that can be easily assembled and disassembled, packs small enough to fit in the trunk of a car, and doesn't weigh a ton, I think you would have a winner.

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    1. Good price. 2. High quality. But most important - a comfortable lay. If it is not comfortable, the first two dont matter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast